Cleveland

Exodus

Ok, so I get why people would be "up in arms" about this since if it passed, it would open up other cities to make their own gun laws, however... I'd like to know why you guys are so upset about it. I gotta say, I can't see the problem in any of these legislative "suggestions" myself. :confused:

"The legislation would restrict gun owners from leaving firearms in a place accessible to minors; create a registry in the city of Cleveland that would compel convicted gun offenders to register with police once a year for four years; and limit gun purchases to one firearm per person per 90 days.

The new ordinances might also incorporate past laws including: Requiring school officials to notify police when a prohibited weapon is found on school property; allowing people to voluntarily surrender guns to police; and banning the sale and manufacture of gun replicas."

Speaking of uneducated voters, I find many extreme gun advocates, (for lack of a better word as I don't want to include all gun advocates), are just as quick to jump on a bandwagon whether it makes logical sense or not.

Preemption. Cleveland has already lost on preemption before. Some things would get past it, like the registry for criminals, but things like regulating how many guns you can buy in a certain time perioud would 100% fall to preemption.

Ok, so I get why people would be "up in arms" about this since if it passed, it would open up other cities to make their own gun laws, however... I'd like to know why you guys are so upset about it. I gotta say, I can't see the problem in any of these legislative "suggestions" myself. :confused:

The legislation would restrict gun owners from leaving firearms in a place accessible to minors; - Already illegal. It's called criminal negligence or child endangerment. Why do we need another law? (P.S. Say, my gun safe is accessible to my 16 year old son who has his own firearms in there - OMG I'm a felon!)

create a registry in the city of Cleveland that would compel convicted gun offenders to register with police once a year for four years - and what is the purpose of that and who would be covered as a convicted gun offender? If I got a 'trespass' conviction for bringing my gun into a store where they had posted but I didn't see, would I be 'on the list'?

limit gun purchases to one firearm per person per 90 days - If this is intended to address straw purchases then that's best left to the state level because doing it locally has zero effect. I think the purpose is just to irritate and drive down the profits of gun dealers locally.

The new ordinances might also incorporate past laws including: Requiring school officials to notify police when a prohibited weapon is found on school property - Every school I know already does this. Every school. Why do we need a 'consolidated' law? Address in school board policy.

allowing people to voluntarily surrender guns to police - As if the police would say, "Nope, I won't let you give me that". Please. Address in departmental policy.

Banning the sale and manufacture of gun replicas. -Fuck you airsoft guys, BB gun shooters, replica collectors, etc. Again, what's the point?

Speaking of uneducated voters, I find many extreme gun advocates, (for lack of a better word as I don't want to include all gun advocates), are just as quick to jump on a bandwagon whether it makes logical sense or not.

None of this makes logical sense. It's just the City of Cleveland trying to get the proverbial camel's nose under the tent. The liberals are all butthurt over preemption not allowing them to create a patchwork of laws criminalizing the behavior of the average gun owner unfortunate enough to reside in or travel through their kingdoms.

The legislation would restrict gun owners from leaving firearms in a place accessible to minors; - Already illegal. It's called criminal negligence or child endangerment. Why do we need another law? (P.S. Say, my gun safe is accessible to my 16 year old son who has his own firearms in there - OMG I'm a felon!)

create a registry in the city of Cleveland that would compel convicted gun offenders to register with police once a year for four years - and what is the purpose of that and who would be covered as a convicted gun offender? If I got a 'trespass' conviction for bringing my gun into a store where they had posted but I didn't see, would I be 'on the list'?

limit gun purchases to one firearm per person per 90 days - If this is intended to address straw purchases then that's best left to the state level because doing it locally has zero effect. I think the purpose is just to irritate and drive down the profits of gun dealers locally.

The new ordinances might also incorporate past laws including: Requiring school officials to notify police when a prohibited weapon is found on school property - Every school I know already does this. Every school. Why do we need a 'consolidated' law? Address in school board policy.

allowing people to voluntarily surrender guns to police - As if the police would say, "Nope, I won't let you give me that". Please. Address in departmental policy.

Banning the sale and manufacture of gun replicas. -Fuck you airsoft guys, BB gun shooters, replica collectors, etc. Again, what's the point?

None of this makes logical sense. It's just the City of Cleveland trying to get the proverbial camel's nose under the tent. The liberals are all butthurt over preemption not allowing them to create a patchwork of laws criminalizing the behavior of the average gun owner unfortunate enough to reside in or travel through their kingdoms.

Why would you want to enforce current laws? I mean, that won't advance any agendas or get any votes, hell that's like actually doing your job and who wants to do that?

Why would you want to enforce current laws? I mean, that won't advance any agendas or get any votes, hell that's like actually doing your job and who wants to do that?

quoted for truth. i just read a article about chicagos gun laws and their gun crime rate. the point of the article revolved around your post. "Chicago ranks as one of the lowest cities for the number of federal prosecutions of firearm abusers. Criminals are well aware that current laws are not being enforced, and they can thus operate with impunity. "

quoted for truth. i just read a article about chicagos gun laws and their gun crime rate. the point of the article revolved around your post. "Chicago ranks as one of the lowest cities for the number of federal prosecutions of firearm abusers. Criminals are well aware that current laws are not being enforced, and they can thus operate with impunity. "

I just saw a political ad for that joker that is running for governor this year. It blows my mind people eat the garbage these crooks who run for office put out there.

They just put out there what people want to hear, get into office, and serve the interests that pay them. Sheeple gonna sheep....

The whole "gun replicas" thing, just annoys the shit out of me. Didn't anybody play cowboys and indians when they were kids? or reinact some movie? ...oh wait I forgot that's not politically correct anymore either.

I had fake guns as a kid and none of them looked real, they were obviously squirt guns, or they had an orange platic thing on the end of the barrel.

I think so much of this could be solved by parents raising their own kids, and minding their own bussiness. If you can't bring your kid up and teach them how to live and stay out of trouble, then your kids will get into trouble regardless of how many stupid ass laws get passed, stop trying to control everybody. I'd be more then happy if parents went to jail for their kid's actions, and you know what? I'd never have to go because my daughter knows how to act.

I just saw a political ad for that joker that is running for governor this year. It blows my mind people eat the garbage these crooks who run for office put out there.

They just put out there what people want to hear, get into office, and serve the interests that pay them. Sheeple gonna sheep....

I have some friends that are hardcore liberal and democrat. They all think Fitzgerald is a joke and will not vote for him.

couldnt agree with you any more cordell. its like the parents that got all up in arms about grand theft auto... guess who bought your kids that game, you did! parents expect the world to raise their kids. pisses me off to no end.

"The legislation would restrict gun owners from leaving firearms in a place accessible to minors; create a registry in the city of Cleveland that would compel convicted gun offenders to register with police once a year for four years; and limit gun purchases to one firearm per person per 90 days.

The new ordinances might also incorporate past laws including: Requiring school officials to notify police when a prohibited weapon is found on school property; allowing people to voluntarily surrender guns to police; and banning the sale and manufacture of gun replicas."

"The legislation would restrict gun owners from leaving firearms in a place accessible to minors"

So basically it would make parents criminals over night because their son or daughter have access to a 22LR that shoot for fun. I know quiet a few minors that shoot in competitions and know more about guns than any of the cleveland politicians. Why not just punish the parents for being bad parents?

"create a registry in the city of Cleveland that would compel convicted gun offenders to register with police once a year for four years;

Pretty sure this means that you had a misdemeanor firearms related charge, you would be forced to register with the police like a sex offender. Which is stupid because Ohio has some dumb firearms laws that will cause good people to have misdemeanor firearms charges. This law pretty much does nothing. People that have felony related firearms charges can not own a gun period in the state of Ohio unless he/she goes in infront of a judge and try to get their firearms privileges back.

"and limit gun purchases to one firearm per person per 90 days."

And this does what exactly? Drive local gun stores out of business?

"The new ordinances might also incorporate past laws including: Requiring school officials to notify police when a prohibited weapon is found on school property"

I am pretty sure schools already do.

"allowing people to voluntarily surrender guns to police"

I am pretty sure that is already true.

"banning the sale and manufacture of gun replicas."

That is as stupid as schools suspending a kid for eating a poptart into shape of a gun. Need I say more?

couldnt agree with you any more cordell. its like the parents that got all up in arms about grand theft auto... guess who bought your kids that game, you did! parents expect the world to raise their kids. pisses me off to no end.

Video games + TV = babysitter. No parents necessary.

It's just another grab for liberal votes. Come the next election the busses will pick you up, hand you a list of who you should vote for and point to the options on the screen. Afterwords you get a free lunch and free cell phone. But it's YOUR choice to vote. No pressure.