Marijuana as medicine

RC K9

For me leg issues, back and nerves (physical not mental). Now I am using it in place of muscle relaxers and perks. I am due for back surgery August 4th. The doc/surgeon prescribed me perks and I said pass. My reason is I will need those during the first two weeks after for pain from surgery. I don't want to be addicted to opiates (it only takes two weeks of daily use) so I choose pot. Oil is nice also but harder to get. My surgeon, off the record, told me my decision was a wise choice as he gets a lots of people addicted to the opiates. I also have been researching growing my own ONCE LEGAL. There are certain strains, mentioned above, that have low or no THC but high CBDs so no high is attained. However, also stated above, cancer does use the THC portion.

Yeah I use it for recreational and now medical. I have always worked at white collar jobs and have to be on my toes. Never before or during work period. Never unemployed. Never police issues. Guess I am trying to say I am your average Joe lol.

Am I breaking the law? Sure. You know what? My body will thank me for not using opiates and letting them tear my body up (docs kept pushing them on me the last five years). Gateway drug? For some sure but a lot of those would have evolved no matter what they took. I have been smoking for over 30 years. I would rather be in a car with someone driving after smoking a joint VS. someone who drank a six pack.

Isn't that nuts? All these medical professionals are coming out and saying both officially and unofficially that pot is a better, safer alternative to scrips and this stuff is still considered by the government to be essentially the same as meth, heroin, cocaine, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that nuts? All these medical professionals are coming out and saying both officially and unofficially that pot is a better, safer alternative to scrips and this stuff is still considered by the government to be essentially the same as meth, heroin, cocaine, etc.

What you seem to forget is your people who are elected to run the government get PAID by those who make the drugs you have to get scrips for.

Hate to tell you but your friendly democratic/GOP party is the one keeping this stuff illegal and keeps that profit filled war on drugs a rolling.

I fractured both of my arms at 2 different points in my life, when lifting anything heavy my arms get weak. Lifting something as light as my cellphone hurts. In addition to that i have always had back problems. My back muscles are always extremely tight. Normal movements cause bones to pop. It has only gotten worse in the last 2 years. I should also mention i'm only 23. I smoke week about once a week maybe twice. I only smoke when my back pain is to a point where its making me an asshole to be around. It doesnt effect my life. I work 7 days a week most weeks, My brothers and I own and manage 6 locations around Columbus. It has never effected our work ethic.

I was listening to dubstep and I didn't get it. I was posting a lot of negative things on a lot of youtube channels about my strong disdain for it, and using hurtful words. I smoked pot and gave it another try, and it was amazing. I closed my eyes and felt like I was in a robot's vagina on a treadmill.

Pot is love.

Pot is life.

What you seem to forget is your people who are elected to run the government get PAID by those who make the drugs you have to get scrips for.

Hate to tell you but your friendly democratic/GOP party is the one keeping this stuff illegal and keeps that profit filled war on drugs a rolling.

I haven't forgotten how it works, it's just sad that it still holds true. Though I think that the drug companies days are numbered. Eventually enough people are going to get sick and tired of eating the garbage we are given as "food" and being prescribed 8 different pills to try to counteract the effects of those "foods", and there will be a fundamental shift in what we put in our bodies as a whole.

It's amazing how much more open people are to the idea of marijuana, now. Even comparing a similar thread on CR from almost 10 years ago; the shift is amazing.

True, I myself would have not admitted to using it until the past year or two. Too much of a stigma behind it. Also, I must very much agree with those in this threat talking about pain meds/opiates. The idea of using those kinds of drugs scares me very much just because of all the people I have seen that become dependent on them.

GOP much more so then the Dem's. To most fundamentalist conservatives/evangelical Christians (a HUGE part of the GOP's base) Marijuana is no different then crack cocaine. Look for the Southern States to be the last to legalize, if they ever do.

For me personally living in Denver I see it...and have experienced it. Sure I smoked and vaped plenty of times way before I moved here but things are wayyy different.

After having highly concentrated edibles (too many) you understand that it's engineered that way for a reason. It's a different all body feeling that doesn't give me the feeling like I'm high. No one in their right mind would drink a soda with 40 nanograms of the stuff unless you didn't know the serving recommendation or you wanted to zone out for the next 8-12 hours...like I'd imagine a terminally ill/painful cancer patient would yearn for.

Edited by Buteo
I'm high right now ha :)

Fuck it, I'm legal now. I've smoked for years to deal with my pain and I've been on hard pain killers prior and they sucked and made me useless at the levels required to dull the back pain.. For the record I used to walk with a cane prior to my Discectomy(SP).

I just moved to cali for a Senior Security engineer role.

This right here hit the nail on the head. Follow the money and forget the fact that opiate addiction is a bigger life ruiner than most realize. The sale of prescription pain killers is bad in my work place, to the point coworkers are like walking zombies when high, to psychotic maniacs when coming down from a high.

Edited by h22eg6sir
Spelling

Between weed, alcohol, and tobacco, IMO weed is the least harmful. The only reason it's still illegal is because it's a gateway drug. Not for drug users, mind you, but for the DEA. It's their gateway to continuous funding on the war on drugs.

"Oh we haven't rounded up enough coke/meth/H dealers? Just go bust Harry the Harmless Hippie, he's got a few hundred thousand worth of plants on his farm."

The government makes millions per month in Colorado from Marijuana taxes. Legalizing it doesn't cut them of money like you make it seem.

• 4 months later...
The government makes millions per month in Colorado from Marijuana taxes. Legalizing it doesn't cut them of money like you make it seem.

Drop in the bucket compared to the scope of legalizing it nationwide. Imagine all the non-violent drug offenders no longer being arrested, tried and put in jails...Prison is big business, whether private owned or otherwise. Some of the largest forces lobbying against the momentum we're seeing?...Big pharma and prison-related unions. Putting people in cages might just be more profitable than taxing weed. Probably so.

I vote legalize freedom. Whether you smoke or you don't, legalizing weed has no real negative effects to be seen. The "experiments" in Colorado and Washington have served us well so far. Before that it was entire countries Brazil, Columbia and Argentina (among others) who have shown us that maybe legalizing it and focusing all that $$$ and effort on helping addicts is the way to go.

Mary J use in my industry is almost a prerequisite. An entertaining, and true, story.

One of our supplier (rep's we'll call him Ed) comes and visits us at Scioto on a semi regular basis. Normally about twice a year he comes intot town from his home base and takes us all out to dinner. He's a really great dude, very fun, incredibly smart, and VP of sales at a reputable Electricity supplier. He comes in one day and were all sitting around the conference table talking business and making jokes when one of us references that working for a broker has it's benefits, one of which is no HR department. I quip that it's a good thing we don't drug test. His response is that they don't either, but if they did, it would be to ensure that you have a high enough level of cannabis in your bloodstream to be at work. We all chuckle, and then he relates a story of a time when he was having a rough day, sitting in his office when the CEO of his company walks in, tell him to go home, smoke a bowl, and come back, so he could get some shit done.

That night we were out until 3 in the morning, and spent a significant piece of time at a hookah bar on high st. Best business meeting I've ever been involved in.

Drop in the bucket compared to the scope of legalizing it nationwide. Imagine all the non-violent drug offenders no longer being arrested, tried and put in jails...Prison is big business, whether private owned or otherwise. Some of the largest forces lobbying against the momentum we're seeing?...Big pharma and prison-related unions. Putting people in cages might just be more profitable than taxing weed. Probably so.

I vote legalize freedom. Whether you smoke or you don't, legalizing weed has no real negative effects to be seen. The "experiments" in Colorado and Washington have served us well so far. Before that it was entire countries Brazil, Columbia and Argentina (among others) who have shown us that maybe legalizing it and focusing all that $$$ and effort on helping addicts is the way to go.

You touched on it briefly, but I think the crux of the issue is where the money goes. When the DEA seizes drug money it goes into funding their future operations. When people go to prison it takes money out of more important programs and funds prisons, both private and gov't owned. You take those 2 revenue streams and change them to taxable income, all of a sudden you can fund schools, mental health initiatives, health care, all things that IMO lead to less drug abuse than over-funding the DEA.

Additionally, when the DEA swoops in and nails a source of drug revenue, that leaves open a vacuum in that area that other criminal enterprises will fill; it's a never-ending cycle. However, when drugs are legalized, there is less incentive for the criminal elements to participate as it's a more competitive, less profitable market.

To recap:

more money in positive gov't programs

less money to criminals

fewer minor offenders in jail

sunshine & rainbows, braahhh

I was reading a vice article a few months ago where they were interviewing mexican farmers who aren't even planting anymore because they said the priced dropped so low after recent legalization/decriminalization measures in the US, that it wasn't even worth it to plant.

Just saw the story on the little girl with seizures replayed the other night. I know that there is a lot left out of those stories, but if there's any truth at all, how could anyone argue against at least legalizing medical use??

I don't smoke, never have, then again I don't take oxy/perk every day either. What's the difference.

Yeah man, that's one for the first stories that came to my mind. Seems that the CBD helps with seizures, and THC helps with cancer. It's kind of a catch 22 with the cancer part for kids because THC is the "psychoactive" chemical so you kid is going to be high, but i'd rather my kid be high and alive than dead or near dead on chemo.

Hope you never have kids with cancer, because they are pretty much high and dead instead of alive on Chemo. The claim is largely unsupported and people need to realize that correlation does not imply causation. But should it be legal? Yeap.. but it should be legal for recreational use as well. I guess congress is heading in the right direction.

Just saw the story on the little girl with seizures replayed the other night. I know that there is a lot left out of those stories, but if there's any truth at all, how could anyone argue against at least legalizing medical use??

I don't smoke, never have, then again I don't take oxy/perk every day either. What's the difference.

Did you see the CNN documentary? I found that interesting because despite my hatred of CNN, Dr. Gupta had long been one of the harshest critics of medical use. It really is interesting to see a "convert" explore the medical pot business.

Did you see the CNN documentary? I found that interesting because despite my hatred of CNN, Dr. Gupta had long been one of the harshest critics of medical use. It really is interesting to see a "convert" explore the medical pot business.

I did, and I agree, I found it pretty interesting to see the view of a medical professional who had gone from opponent to proponent.

Although I have to admit, as new parents, we were both sitting there wondering why the parents didn't relocate to Colorado. I mean if you really believe that the medicine is making that big a difference with your child, from 75 (yes 75!!) seizures/day to 4-5 seizures/day, fucking move!!!

I know it isn't that simple, but seemed like a no brained when your child is involved.