Youth quads / ATVs

nurkvinny

It's funny, I raced quads when I was younger, and I'm not sure I want my kids on them. Old lady runs a rehab center and.... Anyway, where will they be riding them? Are you looking for something that will last a few years, or strictly beginner, because they can be limited/governed down pretty easy??

I had a Yamaha breeze when i was like 7 or 8. Was good for flat land and no gears and reverse which is nice.

I have two Yamaha Breezes here now, daughter likes riding but isn't sure about doing it on her own yet. They can be had for cheap too, plus parts seem to be easy to find. See my craigslist thread for details.

ATV'S for the kids? I'd sure be careful. I'm old & just bought 2 Yamaha 350 grizzlys for wife & I, granted their not for anyone under 16 yrs old, but as you know theirs no such thing as to much caution when it comes to the lil ones -

ATV'S for the kids? I'd sure be careful. I'm old & just bought 2 Yamaha 350 grizzlys for wife & I, granted their not for anyone under 16 yrs old, but as you know theirs no such thing as to much caution when it comes to the lil ones -

OK gramps, kids are gonna get hurt regardless on what there on, bicycle on pavement, face hitting the monkey bars, crashing a quad in the yard. Its all the same. :lolguy:

While quads seem nice because they're viewed as more stable, in my experience youth dirt bikes are safer and more fun for kids. The youth quads are painfully slow and still have a decent danger from rolling. While they're more likely to tip/fall over on the dirt bike they also weigh less and are not going to get crushed. Kids also seem to keep interest in the dirt bikes longer.

We started my son on a Suzuki Quadmaster 50 and then up to a LT80, as stated above, if you buy them right, you won't lose any money. I actually made money on both of them.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/SilverTwinOH/Quadmaster50.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/SilverTwinOH/LT80.jpg

We tried dirt bikes too, not sure if we tried him on them too early or what but he preferred the quads and go karts.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/SilverTwinOH/KTM.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/SilverTwinOH/Jordies90cccart.jpg

with sons like yours trips to the ER are a given

I wouldn't start below an eighty. Kids grow out of the 50cc quickly.

This. And they all have throttle limiters so its not a big deal. Look for an older yamaha badger or raptor 80. Same bike I think. They are auto clutch 3 speed, great for kids to learn on. Have them learn to shift.

While quads seem nice because they're viewed as more stable, in my experience youth dirt bikes are safer and more fun for kids. The youth quads are painfully slow and still have a decent danger from rolling. While they're more likely to tip/fall over on the dirt bike they also weigh less and are not going to get crushed. Kids also seem to keep interest in the dirt bikes longer.

I disagree. Riding a quad first kids can learn the fundamentals of throttle breaking and shifting all while having the stability of not having to balance. Once they get all that down and its second nature to them, then you get them on a dirt bike with out training wheels. That way they only have to learn the balance of a dirt bike.

oh and kids get more confident with throwing quads around vs a dirt bike at first just my opinion.

Experience 24 years of riding quads and dirt bikes. Brapppp

I started on a suzuki JR50 on my 5th birthday. I think thats an awesome way to go. By the time i was 7 i liked to get muddy and ride around more than i liked to race or jump so my dad got me the breeze. We looked into getting a RM85 for me when i was 12 but we got karts later instead and raced those for 3 years. I like both bikes and quads but maybe ask the kids which they want? Its really kind of a preference thing i think. With out a track to ride on i get bored on a bike now. The ltz400 i ride is great even in just a field.