Tony Stewart's career is now over.

Shawn89

It's been said before but if he stays in his car he would still be alive.

^^^ I think the core argument centers around that point. ^^^

I'm sure the racing policy somewhere states "stay in your car" until safety crew arrives.

Criminal charges look questionable/possible but certainly will be civil charges by the family and litigated for years.

loose/loose situation

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the info being released today maybe it won't effect his career. Really surprised that no charges are filed. I figured he would be charged with involuntary manslaughter and be acquitted soon after.

Glad to see they let out more info than the first time I read the article. Last night when anything was released it was kind hard to know what really happened

Tony decided not to race today at the Glen following accident

I didn't figure he would. I can imagine it was a really long night of taking with police and he is probably pretty distressed over it. I would be.

^^^ I think the core argument centers around that point. ^^^

I'm sure the racing policy somewhere states "stay in your car" until safety crew arrives.

Criminal charges look questionable/possible but certainly will be civil charges by the family and litigated for years.

loose/loose situation

Every racing I've been involved with thats the rule. Unless the car is on fire obviously. But people still do it.

Hell there could have been a chain reaction crash and that could have gotten him killed.

As far as people saying Tony hit the throttle near him, sprint cars don't have transmissions. They have an "in and out" box. Meaning it's either in gear or not. No clutch at all. So you have to drive around the track occasionally goosing it or it will die. Low rpm .700+ lift cam and alcohol in sure you get why.

That could be a perfectly good explanation for him hitting the gas.

curious to know if the car was being datalogged during the race and if the conversation between Stewart and crew chief was recorded.

None of that in a sprint car. It's all about weight. Hell they didn't even used to have mirrors that where wroth a damn. No communications. They may be using data loggers these days but I doubt it

There is a really good post on Redit that pretty much breaks down how sprint cars are pretty difficult to control, tracks are far from smooth, and there is limited view from the video.

If you go a bit further than the e-lawyers and e-experts that are posted on facebook/youtube/news sites it gets pretty hard to prove there was "intent" and that this rush to judge shit needs to calm down.

It looks like there was a car in front of Stewart and might have obstructed his view.

Not to mention that going onto a live/hot race track is such a huge taboo, you just don't do it.

I put the lion's share of the blame on the kid. Who gets out of their car and walks back down into the racing line? That's just stupidity. These aren't Corollas. These cars are near impossible to drive with precision as they are built from the ground up to constantly be in a left turn. Then they are over-powered with massive engines that have a throttle like a light-switch. And just to add a little bit more of insanity, they have all but nonexistent brakes. Walking into the racing line of these machines is suicidal.

As for whether tony revved or buzzed or whatever, you *cannot* judge by this video. There's a whole side of the track that's closer to the camera than the incident, so engine sounds are likely from a car closer to the camera that you can't see. And that video has been through YouTube's image stabilizer so you can't be sure the car's movements are real, or an artifact of that process. Just look at how the video jumps and flexes when the cars are passing along the bottom of the frame.

This video is poor evidence of what happened. The only ones that know what happened are the ones involved. The track officials that were there are the only ones that can make a decision on this.

^^ spot on and need re-read by all. You can't judge anything from that video other than what car hit him.

Stewart has always been hot headed (from what I have seen in nascar races), though he has calmed down in the past few years. I'd like to think he was smarter than to try to intentionally throw dirt over the other driver, though I wouldn't have put it past him a few years ago.
  • Downvote 1

I hit a drunk freshman jaywalking on campus after the Michigan game. I had no ALCOHOL on board & made an attempt to not hit him while braking. I was driving in the road where I was supposed to be & he was walking in the road where he wasn't supposed to be.

He got a ticket for jaywalking & trip to the EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT(was fine). I got to talk to COLUMBUS POLICE DEPARTMENT about how freshman can't handle their ALCOHOL & can't believe there aren't more instances like this.

That's how it works.

Tony is a hot head. I really doubt he did this on purpose. I race dirt track go karts. I know this is very apple to oranges. The tracks are rough, Little to no lighting sometimes. Most are wearing black fire suits. I have a video on my laptop of a guy doing the same exact thing to me. Keep in mind we were under caution prob only doing 20 but it was in a corner and he was walking from the inside of the track up to my kart shaking his fist. If he spun to the outside I would have never seen him. Our karts have alot of stagger just like a sprint car. If i let off the wheel down a straight in a caution it will turn left vilontley. Dude should have never left the car. If you have ever sit in a sprint car there isn't very much room to see. No windshield and the wing is right on top of your head. Something that is direct drive and made to do 130+ going 40 in a caution is hard to keep running like said above. Its not like you can down shift or push in the clutch. Its either running or not.