WTB Feeler: Road Bike (cycle)

Zx2guy19

Hey everyone,

Just did Pelotonia this past weekend and knocked out 50 miles solidly. I did it on a company loaned bike and really enjoyed riding as it was pretty easy on my joints, so I am seeing if anyone has upgraded recently or just out of riding that may have a decent road bike for sale.

Let me know what you have, I have no idea about these things and really don't need anything fancy, just something I can train on for next year as I plan to do 100 miles.

Thanks!

Brad

I've got a nice LeMond with like 100 miles on it I'd be willing to sell, but honestly a lot is going to depend on your size. The bike was fitted to me, I'm 6 ft even, so if you're like 5 ft 6 it's not going to work. I can get the frame size, and probably the handlebar stem size if you are interested.

Listen to Mitch. Getting sized is important. I got my Giant hybrid from Cyclist Connection. Great price since it was the previous years model. Great service (free lifetime adjustments. Take it in at the beginning of every season).

Find what fits you. If you want to save money check out retagit.

I am exactly 6 ft (sometimes measured 5'11.5 and sometimes 6'0.5" haha)

I do have 'longer' arms than some, but not like a damn orangutan or anything. Mitch, can you send/provide more details, including price? This is my first road bike so like anyone, I don't want to spend a crap load because who knows, I may not stick with it.

Ok, I'll get you pics and details this evening, I missed the reply. We sound like the same height, so it should work quite well. I rode it on the rail trail in hilliard a few times and was amazed by it, but I've succumbed to laziness the past few years.

If that doesn't work out, nashbar has some good starter bikes and will probably beat anything out there in it's price range (new that is). They have 15% to 20% off all the time, maybe once a month or every other month. You have to put them together but seems easy enough. I'm still looking into some of the mountain bikes that they have.

But if you can get into a nice used one, that's a good route to go.

Good luck. And congrats on getting into riding, i keep saying i'm going to do it and have yet to do so. Darn kids, but i can't keep using them as excuses..haha.

-D

5'11 - 6', you're probably going to need a 56cm. beyond that, it depends how serious you want to get about bike fit. longer arms, you *may* need a slightly longer stem than what may be on it.

you might fit a 58cm too, but might be a bit stretched out. I'm 5'11 and ride a 54. some is personal preference, and some is because I bought the bike used and didn't have a huge choice, but I wanted a 54...and I can make a small bike fit larger vs making a large bike fit smaller.

I'd recommend getting fit for a bike first. Hit up a bike shop during slow hours, tell them you're considering a bike but you would like to get fit for one first. try a couple styles of road bikes & see what you like.

Trying to buy a bike unfitted is like trying to buy a pair of pants with out knowing your waste size & inseam. And a lot of discomfort can come from an improperly sized bike...shit a lot of discomfort comes with a properly sized bike. Keep in mind that you'll be bent over in a few similar positions for hours at a time. The more comfortable ( or rather the less uncomfortable) you are on rides, the longer & more often you'll go.

Once you know what size bike you're looking for start perusing craigslist & local bike shops. Be patient, a lot of people buy top of the line bikes each that end up not riding them in the following years...then they show up on craigslist. Keep in mind that just like garment manufactures, a size on one bike might be a little different than the same size on another brand of bike.

I'm a proponent of buying something inexpensive at first. You can always upgrade later. Again, a lot of people will spend 4 figures on a bike right out the gate only to let it collect dust in the garage the following years. Remember that the bike is only as fast as it's rider.

for instance i've been an avid rider my entire life & i'm running around on a 10 year old bike i bought used for $300 for in college. I've done thousands of miles with only spending money on general maintenance & buying a set of nice wheels 2 years ago after I cracked the original front rim (but even then I bought the previous years model of ksyrium elite's and paid 1/2 of what a new set costs).

also keep in mind that most bikes won't come with pedals, so you'll be spending more money on pedals, shoes, gloves, shorts & jersey's; it can get expensive quick. Just like any other hobby you can spend as little or as much as you want.

That being said my dad actually sent me an article today about how the cost of new bikes have dramatically increased over the past 30 years. The WSJ story "Rise of the Five-Figure Bicycle" starts off about a dude that drives a 7 year old honda civic but spend $20,000 on a bike! I goeso n to cite that the avg cost of a new bike at specialty shops is over $1,000 and that most brands have multiple bikes for over $10,000

anyways best of luck in your search.

TLDR; get fit & buy used.

Thanks for the advice guys. Mitch and I are going to meet up on Saturday for me to try it out. It sounds like we are similar size. I rode 50 miles on a bike (I know that's not much) for Pelotonia that I borrowed from L Brands the day before the ride and it wasn't even close to the right size but I was fine.

I'll definitely try to get fitted (heck, I have a half day of vaca tomorrow, maybe I'll go then).

I do have 3 jerseys, a pair of gloves, riding shorts and a helmet from Pelotonia, so I should be good there!

I'm pretty excited to start...that first 50 felt great.