Anthony may have stopped smoking...

Sully

Mesquite's a strong, bitter smoke usually for beef (and/or you're a texan) Try some hickory, apple, or oak - they make for nice flavors in white meat. The 'thin blue smoke' advice above is right on - I'm not sure how well you can control an electric, but it's smoke from the actual combustion of the wood thatcha want (so no soaking them in water, that's smoldering)

With an electric, like this one, you do soak the wood for 20 minutes beforehand. Otherwise, the wood will catch fire, which is not good for the heating element that the wood is laying right beside. With this particular unit, I use 3 - 4 pieces of wood about every 2 - 2 and 1/2 hours.

I'm probably going to pick up a bag of Apple wood chunks this weekend. I'm not a huge fan of the mesquite because it is so strong. But, like I said, I am in the learning phase, so I just grabbed one that sounded good at the time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same smoker. Picked it up from Gerg. I drilled a hole in the middle top part and stuck a thermometer in there. Just to make sure it stayed the same temp.

I've been using apple and hickory chips.

Another way to put the chips in is to soak them, wrap them in tin foil and poke a bunch of holes in it. Doesn't seem to flare up as much.

Here's my beer can chicken i made a while ago.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/20140615_174319_zpswuhdbnvw.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/20140615_123336_zpsbfklzacg.jpg

I bought some cheapo from Target. Ran about 20 bucks.

The only thing I have an issue with it is that it shuts off every 2 hours. Not sure why. Can't get it to stay on. I constantly had to keep going over to the smoker and turning it on, going to chicken, setting the temp, etc. Got pretty annoying.

I guess there's one on Amazon you could get that I think syncs up with your phone and will tell the temp on your phone.

I bought some cheapo from Target. Ran about 20 bucks.

The only thing I have an issue with it is that it shuts off every 2 hours. Not sure why. Can't get it to stay on. I constantly had to keep going over to the smoker and turning it on, going to chicken, setting the temp, etc. Got pretty annoying.

I guess there's one on Amazon you could get that I think syncs up with your phone and will tell the temp on your phone.

Was that an internal for the meat or external for the smoker?

I would like to get one of each. I've been researching these and now have become torn on what to get.

I'm torn between the Brinkman at Home Depot and the Old Smokey at Lowes.

The Old Smokey gives more temp control, but is sealed so some complain it robs away the juices on some smokes.

The Brinkman allows for more of a traditional smoke and crust, but does not have the temp control.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I8ZTJ0

Buy once, cry once. I don't understand the push for electric/gas around here.

Or if you want, go smaller / less $

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKE67V2

And if I'm not mistaken, the Saturday Liquidation place on Busch has one for a hundred bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I8ZTJ0

Buy once, cry once. I don't understand the push for electric/gas around here.

Or if you want, go smaller / less $

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKE67V2

And if I'm not mistaken, the Saturday Liquidation place on Busch has one for a hundred bucks.

If I go non-electric that will be what I get.

I want electric right now for the time factor, I don't want to sit around all day and screw with adding coals/wood. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT

If I go non-electric that will be what I get.

I want electric right now for the time factor, I don't want to sit around all day and screw with adding coals/wood. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT

Bingo. Who has time to tinker with adding coals/wood all day. Sure that's the traditional way but embrace technology!

Bingo. Who has time to tinker with adding coals/wood all day. Sure that's the traditional way but embrace technology!

I really does give it better taste (hence why I will get one some day). but is just to laobor-ific for me right now.

If I can score a used webber I will take it and use it for those special times when I can make sure and tend it right.

Load it once and it's good for 16 hours. Give it a kick around 10 hour mark to shake the ash.

What kind of smoker do you have?

Just got the Brinkmann, lava rocks, and some chips. I'm going to get a chip box tonight and start to break this bitch in.

Just got the Brinkmann, lava rocks, and some chips. I'm going to get a chip box tonight and start to break this bitch in.

The 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain linked above,

Here's how to light it in excruciating detail, with photos:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Here's the short version:

Fill the ring with coals

Fill the chimney with coals

Light chimney, drink a beer

Dump it on, add food, walk away

I don't use a water pan or anything of the sort; I run with the bottom vents closed, the top vent open. My smoker has been hit by a truck, so it's slightly out of round. It's been outdoors for four years, fills with rain etc - hasn't rusted.

I'm convinced it's the best value out there. And I want you to have that. /pitch

Edited by cybe

It should have came with lava rocks. I've been using wood chunks in mine. I soak them for 20 minutes and place 3 or 4 beside the heating element, being sure they aren't touching the element.

What is your reasoning for getting the chips and chip box? Where are you planning on placing the chip box?

Oh, and what are you planning on smoking first?

Also, sign up over at SmokingMeatForums.com. You'll learn a lot by doing some reading on that site.

It should have came with lava rocks. I've been using wood chunks in mine. I soak them for 20 minutes and place 3 or 4 beside the heating element, being sure they aren't touching the element.

What is your reasoning for getting the chips and chip box? Where are you planning on placing the chip box?

Oh, and what are you planning on smoking first?

I've been doing a lot of research on this smoker and lots of people find the unit lasts longer and has some performance advantages to adding more lava rocks. The lava rocks also help to protect the heating element.

The chips and chip box are also something I've seen a lot of people use. The box gets placed directly on top of the the lava rocks.

I've seen it done all different ways, and I might even try the chunk method. I saw one video that a guy was smoking wings and he put the chips in soup cans and pad the soup cans touching the element.