Gentle giant

jjjxlr8

Obviously you have never lived in section 8 housing. I did for a 18 months while in college and the times i saw people breaking into cars or residences was crazy.

I've lived in as bad as it gets in my time.

Maybe if we policed each other the police wouldn't be needed. I mean, you saw people breaking into cars and houses all the time. So the police aren't out there stopping those crimes but you saw it.. If the peopled policed their own neighborhoods crime would be down.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if we policed each other the police wouldn't be needed. I mean, you saw people breaking into cars and houses all the time. So the police aren't out there stopping those crimes but you saw it.. If the peopled policed their own neighborhoods crime would be down.

Because the risk of getting shot, knifed, or mugged is worth it. /s

Hint, the wild wild west doesn't exist anymore.

I work in an area of the country where police are almost nonexistent and me and the other 50,000 people here seem to get along fine. Scared little bitches are the ones that seem to need police around.

Yeah I live in rural Ohio, I'm not scared of much and don't think the world would end or mass riots would erupt in my neighborhood but I'm not naive enough to think that Bigfoot is going to come riding out of the woods on a purple unicorn tossing free skittles to the masses. There are bad folks out there and they would love an opportunity to take what you have just because they can and the police do a pretty good job of keeping things in check around here. I'm also confident that if shit were to get crazy all I would have to do is form a fence out of the dead bodies of people that tried to harm me or my family most idiots would get the idea that it may be best to keep on walking because there is nothing to see here.

Majority of people are good at heart and will ALWAYS do the right thing. Should the police call it quits for a month i would go about my daily routine. I just might carry an extra gun or so.Then you have the ones that will shoot you for a good laugh. These people will shoot you if it was illegal or not.

You want police brutality or pure chaos?? Go live in certain parts of russia.

Like Zimmerman? :gabe:

Community policing isn't exactly what it sounds like. It's peer pressure, values, morals, etc. When people know that their family and peers will not tolerate unacceptable behavior, said individuals are less likely to exhibit that unwanted behavior. Obviously there are exceptions, but how many of these people are holding their peers accountable?

I put a lot of weight in what my family thought about my behavior, which was a helpful deterrent from making a lot of bad decisions. Knowing your family will withdraw resources, fellowship, etc if you exhibit foolish behavior, can be one heck of a behavior modifier.

Community policing isn't exactly what it sounds like. It's peer pressure, values, morals, etc. When people know that their family and peers will not tolerate unacceptable behavior, said individuals are less likely to exhibit that unwanted behavior. Obviously there are exceptions, but how many of these people are holding their peers accountable?

I put a lot of weight in what my family thought about my behavior, which was a helpful deterrent from making a lot of bad decisions. Knowing your family will withdraw resources, fellowship, etc if you exhibit foolish behavior, can be one heck of a behavior modifier.

I believe that is called parenting. It doesn't seem to happen much so I could be wrong.

I believe that is called parenting. It doesn't seem to happen much so I could be wrong.

Right. A great example of the terrible parenting we have today: over the summer there was some construction going on on my street. I was on my way home from work (after the construction workers had left for the day) and there were orange cones and barrels blocking the road and there was about a 10 year old girl playing in the street. My neighbor (whom I happen to work with and was carpooling with that day) got out and moved the barrels out of the street to which the girl looked at him and said "those are there for my protection". We politely explained that they are actually for the construction workers and went on our way. Now here is the part that got me, a couple minutes later I saw her father dragging them back out in the street so she could continue to block traffic and play in the street. I couldn't help but think that this is exactly what is wrong with America.

It doesn't just have to come from parents. Peers as well. It comes down to what society/that community will deem as acceptable or unacceptable behavior.

Apparently I grossly overestimated the ability of some folks to have a conversation without resorting to ad hominem attacks....

Nevertheless, let me try just one more time. This isn't about whether Brown went looking for trouble - he did. It isn't even particularly about Wilson. My comments are designed to ask why you think, as many of you seem to, that police have a right, superior to any other citizen, to deal death when threatened. So that's the question. What do you think? And, then, why?

I'll be the first to say I dont feel I have resorted to any sort of attacks, only asked where you received your information, and why you feel that way? that being said...

I see the point you are trying to make and my reply to that is that we as a society have granted law enforcement the power and ability to not only defend themselves but to defend us from the people meaning to do the public harm. In granting such authority they have the power to use JUSTIFIABLE deadly force. That is what happened to Michael Brown. You Reap what you Sow.

The frustrating thing is I see your argument and on a lot of cases i would even agree with you. I just think Ferguson is a losing battle, and a terrible example for what you're trying to communicate.

That being said.... There are cases out there that are much better to display police brutality and abuse of power that simply aren't getting the kind of traction on news channels as Ferguson.

It's called lateral vascular neck restraint or LVNR, it is not a choke hold, it's not illegal, it is used to control someone by rendering them unconscious, not from lack of air, but lack of blood flow to the brain(assuming they have one). There are always videos, how about the black cop that killed a white guy, or the black cop that killed another black guy, where are those videos, the out cry,

The riots, the bullshit foot stomping.

Stop race baiting and focus on the problem at hand, the people that are out of control, thinking fighting with the police is a good thing, because "it's their right".

I personally think we should give all law enforcement across the United states 30 days off, meaning no police protection for anyone. I would probably also just go ahead and shut the prisons down too, we can have all the prisoners turn themselves back in in 30 days, if this sounds good, we can get a petition together and maybe make it happen, sound good?

Regardless of what vernacular you use, the officer in the Eric Garner case choked a man to death on a city street with dozens of witnesses around. He had both the element of surprise and the advantage of more officers than suspects, there was no need to use such an aggressive tactic on a suspect for such a petty crime.

While I fully agree with the Grand Jury decision to not indict Officer Wilson, I think they really dropped the ball in NYC. Step back and look at the situation (without considering race if thats possible), a man was selling tax free cigarettes on a city street and as a result of the NYPD's reaction he's now dead, John Adams would be rolling over in his fucking grave. While we as a society give law enforcement a lot of power to use such measures to detain criminals, we also hold them to higher standard and rightfully so. The officer in question utilized a technique ("LVNR" you call it?) and b/c he did so incorrectly a man is dead. He should be held accountable.

Regardless of what vernacular you use, the officer in the Eric Garner case choked a man to death on a city street with dozens of witnesses around. He had both the element of surprise and the advantage of more officers than suspects, there was no need to use such an aggressive tactic on a suspect for such a petty crime.

While I fully agree with the Grand Jury decision to not indict Officer Wilson, I think they really dropped the ball in NYC. Step back and look at the situation (without considering race if thats possible), a man was selling tax free cigarettes on a city street and as a result of the NYPD's reaction he's now dead, John Adams would be rolling over in his fucking grave. While we as a society give law enforcement a lot of power to use such measures to detain criminals, we also hold them to higher standard and rightfully so. The officer in question utilized a technique ("LVNR" you call it?) and b/c he did so incorrectly a man is dead. He should be held accountable.

Was he actually selling cigs at that point? My understanding was that he had in the past, but in this situation he was not selling, and had actually just broken up a fight. I could be wrong on that though.