The Rise of ISIS

wagner

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent!

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100702150413/simpsons/images/6/6a/Mr_Burns_evil.gif

This is exactly what the US needs...to drain Russian resources just like with Afghanistan in 1979.

ISIS (or ISIL these days) will eventually be destroyed in its current iteration because they don't really have any "friends" whatsoever. Pretty much every state and religion has denounced their barbarity. However, as long as the area is impoverished, guns are available, and young men don't have a productive outlet for their energy (i.e joining a well structured military or getting a real job), these groups will continue to rise.

Somehow I am doubting the "no boots on the ground" strategy will work though. If the group is ~17,000 strong that is a fairly significant fighting force capable of resisting on a wide front. Given that not everyone is well trained and some will surrender or flee when their world starts getting introduced to precision guided munitions though.

I always wonder about giving arms to any group that isn't the US or a close ally. For example, funding and arming the mujahedin in the 80s was probably not the best decision.

I always wonder about giving arms to any group that isn't the US or a close ally. For example, funding and arming the mujahedin in the 80s was probably not the best decision.

It WAS the best decision at the time. The US goal was to defeat the Soviet Union. Supporting the mujahedin was probably the most important factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

It WAS the best decision at the time. The US goal was to defeat the Soviet Union. Supporting the mujahedin was probably the most important factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

our enemy's enemy is our friend applied here for sure.

A majority of the funds and weapons dispersed to Pakistan and the Mujahedin resistance in the 1980's went to a warlord Hekmatyar, who was/is an Islamist with ties to terrorist groups. Perhaps the benefit of bleeding the USSR outweighed the costs of giving war materials to radical Islamists. Of course, this is in retrospect.

we are in step 2. right now...

1. Create a problem by arming and funding extremists to take down opponents by proxy

2. Incite a reaction from the public by demonizing the same bad guys you put into power

3. Propose a solution which involves a military intervention, the loss of liberties, or both

Have you guys seen this interview?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw

Moving into step 3., now.

This is especially important from President Obama's speech tonight...

"Across the border in Syria, we have ramped up our military assistance to the Syrian opposition. Tonight, I again call on Congress, again, to give us additional authorities and resources to train and equip these fighters. In the fight against ISIL, we cannot rely on an Assad regime that terrorizes its own people -- a regime that will never regain the legitimacy it has lost. Instead, we must strengthen the opposition as the best counterweight to extremists like ISIL, while pursuing the political solution necessary to solve Syria’s crisis once and for all."

This is the most concise summary of the reasons behind why the US wants to replace the regime in Syria.

Haven't watched it yet, but in the end, I'm in belief it's all about the US Dollar. Assad supports the PetroEuro and that would be devastating to our economy. With ousting him we also eliminate another supporter that's close to Iron and Russia.

Just began watching it........yep, every American should watch it.

Edited by TTQ B4U
Edit: Watched video....agree, it's spot-on.

I feel like they've been looking for an excuse to flex their muscle. This would be a good opportunity but will they really stretch themselves out for it?

I feel like they've been looking for an excuse to flex their muscle. This would be a good opportunity but will they really stretch themselves out for it?

I don't think that they will. Russia probably hopes that the "west" will bleed from this endeavor, especially with the sanctions that are looming against them.

The airstrikes in Iraq have started... Syria TBA. We will see how well training rebel soldiers works.

I don't think that they will. Russia probably hopes that the "west" will bleed from this endeavor, especially with the sanctions that are looming against them.

The airstrikes in Iraq have started... Syria TBA. We will see how well training rebel soldiers works.

Yes, because arming and training people in that region has worked so well for us in the past.

How freaking dumb are these elected officals? Have they not read a single freaking history book or seen what has happend in the past. We will just end up fighting the same people we arm and train later.

Unreal...

How freaking dumb are these elected officals? Have they not read a single freaking history book or seen what has happend in the past. We will just end up fighting the same people we arm and train later.

Perhaps, but it's the alternative to our boots on the ground which keeps reduces the likelihood of the American Public not supporting the effort to oust Assad. It also looks better overall when it's the US supporting rebels with the veil of humanitarianism and anti-terrorism shielding the truth.

There's some truth to the fact that perhaps we'd rather fight those we've armed and trained and know something about vs those the other guys armed and trained and that we know nothing about.

Politics....

Perhaps, but it's the alternative to our boots on the ground which keeps reduces the likelihood of the American Public not supporting the effort to oust Assad. It also looks better overall when it's the US supporting rebels with the veil of humanitarianism and anti-terrorism shielding the truth.

There's some truth to the fact that perhaps we'd rather fight those we've armed and trained and know something about vs those the other guys armed and trained and that we know nothing about.

Politics....

Well since we pretty much laid out what we were going to do...

http://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-goes-underground-syrian-stronghold-160141929.html

What a circus of fail and AIDS, who is running this show and calling the shots?

I hope we keep boots off the ground because lord knows these turds in DC will set them up for failure.