NHRA Roll bar for a street car

Ramsey

What are your thoughts on a mostly street car thats looking to dip into the 10s?

Do i keep it a street car and slow it down to 11.50s or throw a 5 point in and make it nhra legal for the few times a year i track. I think i will track it more and more, but it will still get weekly trips to carsandcoffee.net.

Or do i just deal with maybe getting booted everytime and only really run it at mcir?

I didnt think a 10 second pass was going to be this close, but it seems very doable and i really want to get a 10 second slip.

Car has gone 11.01 @ 120.5 with a smaller driver & leaving on boost (transbrake)*1st and only pass too

We just put in a wolfe bolt-in a while back in my car. Driven it a few times and its not that bad. If you don't plan on going quicker than 10.00 its not a bad deal with the swing outs and you don't have to worry about getting booted.

What about safety in a street crash (no helmet). Is the main loop an issue to smash your head on?

I have been wondering the same thing. Ran an 11.3 @ 130.75 with a crap 1.9 60ft before breaking a wrist pin. When I come back, i'm going for 10's. Have often wondered about being in a crash while cruising and smashing my head on a bar or something.

What about safety in a street crash (no helmet). Is the main loop an issue to smash your head on?

I don't think about it to be honest. It would have to be a pretty nasty crash for you to hit your head on the main hoop.

Now, a car with a 9.99 or quicker cage would not be something I would drive on the street a lot. That halo bar is the killer there.

As stated, you have to have padding any place your head could touch the cage per NHRA. On the other side of the crappy stock plastic interior panels lies steel panels so not much different. Both my seats have 5 point harnesses and is very comfortable on the road. Give consideration to the rear down bars, I was discouraged from running them clear back to the rear panel as in a rear collision they could be used as a lever to force the main hoop forward and cause injury.

I'm just wondering what track you guys are running at with no cage going faster than 11.5 lol. Trails was on my ass back when I was going 11.8@128, really on my ass when I went 11.3@130 (for 5 point harness). Although, a buddy of mine has a turbo TA that has gone 10.0@137 with no cage and hasn't had anything said to him about it.

With that said, I have a cage in my car that is street driven a lot and I absolutely hate it. It is honestly the 1 thing about my car I can't stand. I always fear what would happen if my head met the halo without a helmet. There's part of me that wants to cut the damn thing out after this year and just stop drag racing it and or sandbag at the track.

I'm just wondering what track you guys are running at with no cage going faster than 11.5 lol. Trails was on my ass back when I was going 11.8@128, really on my ass when I went 11.3@130 (for 5 point harness). Although, a buddy of mine has a turbo TA that has gone 10.0@137 with no cage and hasn't had anything said to him about it.

With that said, I have a cage in my car that is street driven a lot and I absolutely hate it. It is honestly the 1 thing about my car I can't stand. I always fear what would happen if my head met the halo without a helmet. There's part of me that wants to cut the damn thing out after this year and just stop drag racing it and or sandbag at the track.

marion seems pretty cool about it. I think slowing it down to 11.50 isnt a bad idea, i just want a 10 sec slip before hand.

Ah that explains it haha. I have been told Marion is basically show up and race at your own risk. Trails is so hit or miss that it pisses me off. Honestly, their tech is the reason I haven't been to the track since April. Every time I go they argue with me about my kill switch, which the boys in the tower say is legal. One night a lady grabbed my harness, walked to the back of my car and told me I couldn't run faster than 11.5 due to no harness, I told her she had just grabbed it, she proceeded to argue with me haha.

It's a pain for "regular" driving but, realistically, how many of us regularly drive our cars around? No sense in fucking around and playing the tech game, if you're serious about it get the cage and call it a day. It's not my favorite thing in the world to climb over my door bar(s) but it is what it is: a sacrifice for the greater good.

6pt with swing outs, its not going to be in the way for you and just take the bars out when your not at the track. Doesn't bother me at all and keeps people from riding with me normally as the back seat is partially blocked. My g/f will ninja back there when we have to pile another person in but its not a big deal to keep the track people from yelling

6pt with swing outs, its not going to be in the way for you and just take the bars out when your not at the track. Doesn't bother me at all and keeps people from riding with me normally as the back seat is partially blocked. My g/f will ninja back there when we have to pile another person in but its not a big deal to keep the track people from yelling

This. I did however ride in the back of a friends 86 Mustang with a 6-pt in it. That was hard to do. Especially when they wanted me out right after the cruise.

I've been 11.20's at 120 and not a word was said.

Trails tech is a joke, they have no idea what they are doing. If you argue with them they will make your life hell, you have to know how to deal with them.

After my car started to run below 11.50 without out issue it was time to put the roll bar in. Trying to skirt safety rules is not very smart and I should not have done it as much as I did.

I've seen plenty of people walk away from bad wrecks because they followed the rules, I've also seen the outcome of when you think "that rule is dumb and I'll be fine", its not fun.

I really think it depends on the car, and the cars main purpose.

I'm running 10.1 @ 137 right now, and even when I dip into the 9s I'm not going to cage it. I drive the car on the street all the time, and frequently have my kids in it. To me, a 9.99 cage on the street is more dangerous than the few 9.x @ 14x passes I will click off 2 or 3 days a year uncaged (in this car). But this is an AWD car with 6 air bags.

If I had a 9 second fox body... it just wouldn't be a street car, and I would have an appropriate cage. My Cobra trapped 130 (didn't ET for shit though) and it didn't feel "safe" to me going down the track. Losing traction at half track or beyond, with RWD car, built to OLD NHTSA safety specs can turn ugly real quick.