09 cobalt ls stuck in park

STEVE-O

Ok I am lost on this one any help would be great maybe a gm specific tech has seen this before..

2009 cobalt ls automatic trans with 86k on it.

check engine light comes on and everything works fine. Cleared the codes and the car is stuck in park. I have working brake lights. If you force the car out of park it is fine shifts into every gear RND without issues. When I put it back into park it locks up again. KEY COMES OUT OF IGNITION without any problems also..

I have not yet been able to get the cel light to pop back on to pull the codes and do not have a scan tool to test with either just a basic code reader.

I am banking on the shifter assembly but I dont know how to test to make sure it is not the brake switch. The key able to come out of the ignition is what Is odd to me as every other time i ahve had a bad shifter it locked the keys into the ignition. ??? TIA :)

I've seen the shifter handle come apart inside preventing you from being able to push down the detent, and I've also seen plenty of screwed up shifter assemblies. Does it click when you press the brake in park? If not you need to check the connector at the base of the shifter for power and ground, if it does click its one of the two things I mentioned.

I've seen the shifter handle come apart inside preventing you from being able to push down the detent, and I've also seen plenty of screwed up shifter assemblies. Does it click when you press the brake in park? If not you need to check the connector at the base of the shifter for power and ground, if it does click its one of the two things I mentioned.

I havent notcied the click when the brake is applied. I cant pull a diagram ( and admit I am not good with electrical) To see if there is a seperate circut in the brake switch that controls the lights and one that goes to the tcm to allow the shifter to move.

I havent notcied the click when the brake is applied. I cant pull a diagram ( and admit I am not good with electrical) To see if there is a seperate circut in the brake switch that controls the lights and one that goes to the tcm to allow the shifter to move.

I think you should take the shifter handle off and try to operate it. It'll have to come off anyway. The brake switch on the pedal goes to the BCM, and the BCM control the shift interlock, I looked it up to make sure.

there is an emergency release switch to get the car out of park designed to be used by Firemen responding to an accident. Don't force the shifter out of park otherwise you will break something. On the monte carlos it requires you to remove an access panel in the console, I don't know exactly where it is on the cobalt but I know it is there (it's required by law).

There is a shifter recall on the 2009 Cobalts. maybe take it to the dealer and make it their problem.

there is an emergency release switch to get the car out of park designed to be used by Firemen responding to an accident. Don't force the shifter out of park otherwise you will break something. On the monte carlos it requires you to remove an access panel in the console, I don't know exactly where it is on the cobalt but I know it is there (it's required by law).

There is a shifter recall on the 2009 Cobalts. maybe take it to the dealer and make it their problem.

Sorry yes I guess FORCED was not the correct verbage. I will take it apart once I am home and see if it works. I called the dealer and they said the only recall I ahd for my car was the ignition key issue that they all have.

Had some sucess code Is a p0705 that it throws.

If someone that works at a gm dealer could confirm that so I know the guy I talked to is not a moron that would be very useful as well.

My vin is 1G1AS18H097119081

also I was able to locate a diagram if I need to try my hand at testing the circut. Seems decently simple to check only a couple wires and a basic switch

Edited by STEVE-O

Please tell me about said recall. Perhaps you mean bulliten.

And your VIN just shows the ignition switch and key recalls, others have been done. FYI your car does have the lifetime fuel pump policy on it because they has issues with them leaking, so don't ever buy one.

Please tell me about said recall. Perhaps you mean bulliten.

And your VIN just shows the ignition switch and key recalls, others have been done. FYI your car does have the lifetime fuel pump policy on it because they has issues with them leaking, so don't ever buy one.

thats good to know thank you.

Took the shifter apart and there is not much to these ones. IS there a way I can test the auto trans shift lock control solenoid? I press the brake pedal and nothing moves inside the shifter at all. There is a yellow and a dark green wire going from the bcm to the solenoid but I am not sure what the voltage reference should be or if there is any other way I can test to see if that solenoid is indeed the issue. If I manually move it the shifter works as designed and so does everything else.

I can tell by the diagram that the brake switch has a 5v reference ( white) going into the bcm but can not tell what my dark green wire coming out of the bcm should be.

Thanks again for the help

With the brake pressed you should have 12 volts between the two wires at the solenoid on the shifter.

Ok that was very helpful.

I tested the circuit.

Without the code (p0705) thrown. Tested the yellow wire to ground without & with brake pressed shows 0V.

With code thrown and pressing brake pedal yellow to ground shows 12v. Without brake pedal yellow to ground shows 0V.

Solenoid works as designed as long as code is stored.