Steam Clean Detaliing...anyone using it???

LeonbergerG

I am Doing some part time Detaling in my shop and was looking into these new Steam Cleaners. Anyone got one?

How do they work on Interiors, Rims, tar and Grease, Engines, ETC......

Would love to try one of these out they are a bit Pricey but they look damn Handy.

I've seen guys do engine bays with it and it's pretty fantastic. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes it does remove labels off the engine. I wouldn't do it on new computerized cars but for the old corvettes I have seen it done on it worked great (Corvette shop I worked for in the 90's used to send original cars out for this - they were all carb'ed cars older than 1968).

I steam clean my kitchen floors, works great at getting grease/mung up. Used to do this after hours at a buddy's chicken restaurant in NY and that's what convinced me it was the way to do the house.

I use a bissel little green machine on the wife's audi to get the kid stains out of it. It was recommended by this guy who does a car flipping series on jalopnik:

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/big-thrill-tiny-package-the-story-of-my-ep3-honda-civ-1586682425 . I had used a large upright home one on my E30 bmw vert interior and accidentally wiped out a seat belt sensor the first time (thank god e30 parts are cheap) so it pays to pay attention. It also brought the mildew smell in the carpet, which had been suppressed by layers and layers of fabreeze, right to the surface - but a couple of passes made it much more bearable and almost undetectable.

So my near worthless opinion - for exterior: if all you are doing is new car detailing then it doesn't seem like it's worth it because the chance of damaging an expensive sensor is high for a relatively low return. If all you do is old american v-8, carbed sleds, then it might be worth it.

For interior a small $90 unit might do you as good as any industrial machine would, the only advantage of the industrial machine is longevity but that all depends on the frequency on which you are doing interior details.