Toyota Tacomas?

HotCarl

So I've been car/truck shopping and I found a nice 08 Tacoma I'm fairly set on buying. Has anyone had any experience with these? good, bad, ugly?

I understand there was a frame recall on the early 2000's tacoma's but I'm not sure how extensive that was.

This particular model is a standard cab, manual transmission, 4 cylinder, 4 wheel drive. Thanks for any input you guys might have.

So I've been car/truck shopping and I found a nice 08 Tacoma I'm fairly set on buying. Has anyone had any experience with these? good, bad, ugly?

I understand there was a frame recall on the early 2000's tacoma's but I'm not sure how extensive that was.

This particular model is a standard cab, manual transmission, 4 cylinder, 4 wheel drive. Thanks for any input you guys might have.

I picked up a used sequoia that ended up getting a complete frame replacement(connections, brake lines etc) on Toyota's dime for a 10 year old vehicle. Now it rides like new. There is also a ball joint recall as well. Take it into any toyota dealership or call them with the VIN & ask for the vehicle service history. They'll tell you if it's been inspected for said recalls or not.

Tacoma's in general, I'd say are pretty great if you want a truck that size and power. I had one a long time ago. That thing saw more air time than a skateboard in the X games. I took it off road all the time, submerged it having 3" of water over the hood, and it never skipped a beat. This was a bone stock truck I leased. I would not having a second though about getting one if I wanted another truck.

Contacted tansky Toyota today, their service rep said there was an open service call on it to inspect the frame but couldn't tell me anything more than that. Then mentioned something about applying a "compound" to fix the problem. I don't think there is a magic compound that exists that will fix rust? Maybe I'm just confused as to what he was referring to? Either way nothin could be done until the truck was inspected by a dealership and Toyota to decide how severe the problem is.

On another note; about the frame rust issue they had. My Uncle had a Tacoma for a long time. Some years ago, he took it in for regular maintance to the dealership. When he came back to get his truck, they pointed to 5 trucks on the lot and asked him to pick a color. He said red. They handed him the keys and a free and clear title to the truck. It turns out his truck frame was rusted so bad they could not let him drive it away.

They were in not position to have a new truck. That was pretty awesome for them to have this happen.

I like this truck so much I might just buy it anyway. It's more or less not having to deal with the hassle of recalls, having my only mode of transportation in the shop, etc... But as far as the truck itself goes it's exactly what I want, big enough to carry my hockey gear, camping gear, etc but small enough to drive daily with huge gas bills.

Contacted tansky Toyota today, their service rep said there was an open service call on it to inspect the frame but couldn't tell me anything more than that. Then mentioned something about applying a "compound" to fix the problem. I don't think there is a magic compound that exists that will fix rust? Maybe I'm just confused as to what he was referring to? Either way nothin could be done until the truck was inspected by a dealership and Toyota to decide how severe the problem is.

They inspect it, if there is no holes they will seal the frame with a compound that doesn't ever really dry 100% supposed to keep it from rusting. '08 shouldn't need a frame unless it's been sitting in a field. We've had a few '04-'06's that have had frames ordered.

I work parts at Toyota Direct, if you need anything let me know and I can hook you up.

What's so hard about building a frame that doesn't rust. We have a 24 year old farm truck that sits in the field all the time and used once or twice a year. The frame isn't even rusted through. And its a ford ergo everything else rusted through except the frame.

What's so hard about building a frame that doesn't rust. We have a 24 year old farm truck that sits in the field all the time and used once or twice a year. The frame isn't even rusted through. And its a ford ergo everything else rusted through except the frame.

They explained it to me as an incorrect ratio of metals that went into making the frame allows it to rust prematurely. Thats why its a recall.

The inspection takes all of 20 minutes & then youll know if you get the undercoating or a new frame.

Other things to look out for is a cracked or rattling exhaust manifold upon start up.despite having multiple redesigns they're still shit. If recommend aftermarket headers or NAPA midgrade for replacement. It's a pretty shitty job to replace them...12hrs of labor. But if you have the frame recall the cost to replace is significantly reduced since everything will be off the vehicle anyways.

And of course water pump & timing belt.

Other things to look out for is a cracked or rattling exhaust manifold upon start up.despite having multiple redesigns they're still shit. If recommend aftermarket headers or NAPA midgrade for replacement. It's a pretty shitty job to replace them...12hrs of labor. But if you have the frame recall the cost to replace is significantly reduced since everything will be off the vehicle anyways.

And of course water pump & timing belt.

I've seen this on Sequoia's it's common, not common for a Tacoma though. Different motors.

Was in the same bout and picked up a colorado z71 with that sweet 5cyl inline engine. Best decision ever.

I haven't heard very many good things about them but that's from only 2 people I know who drive them. What exactly do you like about yours? Any problems? Etc.