2000 bonneville transmission help!!!

pontiacfreak142

Alright, so we just put another transmission in this damn car a couple months ago, and its already having issues.

The wife called and said the car drove just fine for about 20 minutes while she was on the freeway. Got off and hit a red light, and at this point, she went to take off when the light turned green and the car kind stuttered she said, then all it would do is rev. I had her knock it down into drive (3rd) and still nothing. She put in it park and shut it off, then tried again, still no go.

At this point i her put it in first gear and it went, so i had her try bump it up to 2nd and it was still going, but as soon as she tried drive or overdrive again, nothing.

Had her check the color of the fluid and she said its brownish. Is this tranny fucked to? I havent seen it yet, but anything i might be able to check/try?

I'd be more worried about the level instead of condition. Condition does matter but without enough fluid to produce pressure it can have issues. It's out of a junkyard so I would expect to be buying another if you are having issues. You could always try and drain and fill, and replace the filter if it is serviceable.

I'd be more worried about the level instead of condition. Condition does matter but without enough fluid to produce pressure it can have issues. It's out of a junkyard so I would expect to be buying another if you are having issues. You could always try and drain and fill, and replace the filter if it is serviceable.

Yea i just had the wife start and run the car for a few minutes to get it warm and check the level, said its not near the hot line. I also had her jump in it and put it in drive to see if she could feel it go and gear, she said yes but said it sounded like it was putting a strain on the motor

It's done, very common for w-body. I wouldn't waste money trying to flush it or anything.

Yea im starting to think so.

I did learn though not to listen to the wife lol.

I got to check it out/ drive it myself finally, the fluid is full and still red. When you put it in overdrive or drive, its a whole lot of neutral (motor freely revs) when you put it down in second, it will go in gear. It slips through all of first gear, and it seems like slightly in second, but when you get it up to about 40, you can bump it up into drive and overdrive just fine (tried to bump it into drive at about 20 and got a whole lot neutral again). Possibility of it being a pressure control selenoid?

I hate buying JY transmissions. I put one in the my sons Blue regal back in April. 3 days later 2nd gear was gone. Apparently it had 120k and worked "great". He drained all the fluid out of it. I'm thinking one of the solenoids dried up or something or a gasket dried up from sitting outside the car for a few years.

I hate buying JY transmissions. I put one in the my sons Blue regal back in April. 3 days later 2nd gear was gone. Apparently it had 120k and worked "great". He drained all the fluid out of it. I'm thinking one of the solenoids dried up or something or a gasket dried up from sitting outside the car for a few years.

Yea thats what im worried about, was told the same about this one, but it sat on the shelf for about a year and a half