Ebola hits the US

Orion

Where is Tim's campaign against the flu?

The flu kills more people in 1 year than have ever been killed by Ebola.

(According to a 2010 figure, US only)

Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826

Jones is correct. However, I think what has many people concerned is the incredible jump in infected people vs. past years.

Link

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you worry about all the other bacteria and viruses that you can get by simply touching something? Because Ebola isn't the only one nor is it anywhere close to the most prevalent. MRSA, ESBL, Strep, E. Coli, C. Difficile, etc. are all quite abundant and will wreck your shit just the same.

Ebola is known because the media has latched onto it. Wait until another plane crashes or disappears and you'll forget all about it.

Yes I do. My daughter was admitted to Children's hospital during her first week of life because she caught MRSA at the hospital upon her first check up like 2 days after she was born! I got it 3 times as a result and we now have a house full of white towels because we bleached and still do all of them regularly.

My point is however, I don't buy the bullshit about Ebola not being so contagious. If they said that same shit about MRSA I'll call BS there too.

Where is Tim's campaign against the flu?

The flu kills more people in 1 year than have ever been killed by Ebola.

No campaign needed as there aren't a bunch of doctors saying not to worry about it as you aren't likely to catch the flu, etc, etc. In fact it's the opposite; we hear about flu shots and preventative measures all the time.

Yes I do. My daughter was admitted to Children's hospital during her first week of life because she caught MRSA at the hospital upon her first check up like 2 days after she was born! I got it 3 times as a result and we now have a house full of white towels because we bleached and still do all of them regularly.

My point is however, I don't buy the bullshit about Ebola not being so contagious. If they said that same shit about MRSA I'll call BS there too.

I'm not saying it's not contagious. I'm saying its no more contagious than any other critter we have here already, nor is it really that much more dangerous. I'm saying that because we live differently, it will not affect us like it has those in Africa.

No campaign needed as there aren't a bunch of doctors saying not to worry about it as you aren't likely to catch the flu, etc, etc. In fact it's the opposite; we hear about flu shots and preventative measures all the time.

Holy fuck this ^^^^^^^^^^^

No shit other diseases are more contagious, but we've also already 'beat' them.

I think the point that most in the medical field are trying to make is that Ebola shouldn't paralyze you with fear because, unlike 3rd world countries, we understand sanitation and sterilization.

I'm not saying it's not contagious. I'm saying that because we live differently, it will not affect us like it has those in Africa.

^^ Totally get what you're saying above. However just because we don't live in the filthy conditions present over there and have better healthcare overall, doesn't mean we're that much safer. Again, my daughter caught MRSA in the hospital and we all know hospitals are not germ free. Far from it. Get an infected Joe-Smoe from Liberia who comes here and he ill likely spit, cough and pick his nose and rub his dirty ass hands over a lot of stuff all before he gets in a cab at the airport.

I'm saying its no more contagious than any other critter we have here already, nor is it really that much more dangerous.

"This is probably the most difficult global health security challenge that we have faced in our lifetime,"

~ Dr. Keiji Fukuda, assistant director-general World Health Organization (WHO)

The media isn't faking the images of the gear that's in place for a reason.

I think the point that most in the medical field are trying to make is that Ebola shouldn't paralyze you with fear because, unlike 3rd world countries, we understand sanitation and sterilization.

I don't see where the public at large is paralyzed with fear. What doesn't make sense is when you here that it's no big deal, you're more likely to catch the flu than Ebola, blah blah, and that riding on an airplane with someone who is infected shouldn't freak you out. Even Enterovirus D68 isn't garnering that much protection and we've not even figured out what's causing it.

Yet you see these images:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/ebola_zpsdf124161.jpg

I don't see where the public at large is paralyzed with fear. What doesn't make sense is when you here that it's no big deal, you're more likely to catch the flu than Ebola, blah blah, and that riding on an airplane with someone who is infected shouldn't freak you out. Yet you see these images:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/ebola_zpsdf124161.jpg

But you are more likely. Ebola can be spread by handling the raw meat of infected animals and can be spread by seman. 2 problems that the U.S. doesn't really have. Those pictures are nothing more than trying to prevent it from spreading at all, I see nothing wrong with that. Plus could you imagine in this litigous society "Hey Bob, go out there in your jorts and tank top and clean up that Ebola vomit, would ya?"

We've "beaten" the flu and yet it kills 50k+ year?

Mortality rate is different though. Where ebola causes an average of 50% of infected victims die, influenza causes ~5%. That's where the fear comes from I believe.

Flu is more widespread too so of course that means more infected and therefore more dead. If ebola infected 15,805,000 (using the best case of 5% total population infected with the flu, not the worst case of 20% estimated using the CDC's range, of America's 316.1 million people) then ebola would kill approx. 7,902,500 vs. the CDCs estimated 36k-50k deaths by flu.

Ebola is more deadly and we're further from treating it. We haven't "beat" flu, but we're a lot closer to that than "beating" Ebola.

Mortality rate is different though. Where ebola causes an average of 50% of infected victims die, influenza causes ~5%. That's where the fear comes from I believe.

Flu is more widespread too so of course that means more infected and therefore more dead. If ebola infected 15,805,000 (using the best case of 5% total population infected with the flu, not the worst case of 20% estimated using the CDC's range, of America's 316.1 million people) then ebola would kill approx. 7,902,500 vs. the CDCs estimated 36k-50k deaths by flu.

Ebola is more deadly and we're further from treating it. We haven't "beat" flu, but we're a lot closer to that than "beating" Ebola.

I understand all of that completely.

Today however, Tim and the rest of us, are at far greater risk of dying from the flu, an errant meteorite, or a bad taco than from ebola.

Is that 50% of West Africans? or 50% of Americans?

Africans are left in a hut to fend for themselves. I would gather most die as a result of dehydration. Just speculation.

Americans tough it out in a monitored hospital room with daily labwork drawn, IV fluids, telemetry, and multiple ways to combat hyperthermia. There's a big difference.

Africans are left in a hut to fend for themselves. I would gather most die as a result of dehydration. Just speculation.

Americans tough it out in a monitored hospital room with daily labwork drawn, IV fluids, telemetry, and multiple ways to combat hyperthermia. There's a big difference.

Truth.

Today however, Tim and the rest of us, are at far greater risk of dying from the flu, an errant meteorite, or a bad taco than from ebola.

TIL: Jones often eats bad tacos.

Fair point. I have no dog in this fight. I'm not freaking out over it but I also don't think it's not worth noting. I was using the only numbers I had.

Even so, I would venture to estimate given similar numbers of infected peoples, right now, ebola would kill more simply because we aren't as prepared. As others have said, we can get a flu shot. Kroger doesn't have a sign out front that says, "Get your Ebola shot today!"

All speculation though.

This made me laugh... well done.

Ebola is at this point a virus spread by contact only, not airborne. If it becomes airborne then there is a more serious problem. In our society the transmission rate should in theory be quite low, as most people understand how viruses work and spread.

The Hot Zone is a neat book on Ebola that I read. While I think it does make the virus seem a little too deadly/scary, it does have a lot of good information and is worth a read.

Also, keep in mind the vast majority of flu deaths are in children, elderly, and people with weakened immune systems. Ebola DGAF.

This made me laugh... well done.

Ebola is at this point a virus spread by contact only, not airborne.

As far as we know.

If it becomes airborne then there is a more serious problem. In our society the transmission rate should in theory be quite low, as most people understand how viruses work and spread.

The Hot Zone is a neat book on Ebola that I read. While I think it does make the virus seem a little too deadly/scary, it does have a lot of good information and is worth a read.

Only prob I see in this is we're all in contact with others body fluids way more than we care to admit. Ever handle money? Use a gas pump? Open a door in a public place?

Yeah, people sneeze/pee/spit on their hands alone and don't wash that crap off all the time. For the many many years I was a banker I was sure to sanitize my hands often. Not a paranoid amount, but fairly often.

No, we're not a third world country, but body fluids are errwhere. Groce.

As far as we know.

Only prob I see in this is we're all in contact with others body fluids way more than we care to admit. Ever handle money? Use a gas pump? Open a door in a public place?

Yeah, people sneeze/pee/spit on their hands alone and don't wash that crap off all the time. For the many many years I was a banker I was sure to sanitize my hands often. Not a paranoid amount, but fairly often.

No, we're not a third world country, but body fluids are errwhere. Groce.

As long as you don't have open cuts on your hands/body and are not getting said germs into susceptible places (i.e eyes and elsewhere) then in theory one should not get the Ebola virus.

You're right that most peoples' hygiene is rather terrible. I work in a hospital and regularly see people walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands... I'm always tempted to say something.

As long as you don't have open cuts on your hands/body and are not getting said germs into susceptible places (i.e eyes and elsewhere) then in theory one should not get the Ebola virus.

You're right that most peoples' hygiene is rather terrible. I work in a hospital and regularly see people walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands... I'm always tempted to say something.

watch people around you and you'll see hardly anyone is truly careful and no one is safe. I was thinking about this yesterday on sales calls as I heard the news of this guys death. People shook my hand, touched their phones, put their phone to their face, ate cookies, fiddled with their glasses, etc. Thus my germs are all over them and they don't even know it. Good thing I didn't piss on my hand :gabe:

$100 says the cop in Dallas isn't LOL at me or my belief that there's an attempt to make Ebola out to be not as threatening as it really is/could be.