Hunting Crew

The Man of Steele

Any turkey hunters here? Never cleaned a bird and I want to go bag some turks for my smoker. Videos are not giving me the good vibe of confidence. Have 188 acres in southern ohio. Turkeys and deer are plentiful

tips

resources

Any info would be nice .

Edited by The Man of Steele

I do it basically the same as I do deer. Split the belly up to the ribs, take out the guts, cut out the butt, and lop off the head.

If you'd like to see how to do it in person I could join you for a day on your 188 and help you with a bird :)

I'd love for a seasoned bird hunter to come hunt with me I am green on turkey hunting. I'll pm you my info.

In the spring its much easier. I've had great success calling them in for my son. However, fall time, I wouldnt know the first thing. You should be out going for a deer anyway :)

Same as processing. I've learned a lot just watching tips and tricks on YouTube. The easiest way is to find where the birds are roosting and setup about 40-50 yards away with some decoys. Generally, they'll fly right out of the roost and head your way. My buddies have had good luck with that. My spot is pretty bad, they roost on a neighboring property. I have to call them across a creek just to get an opportunity.

I know where they are roosting because it's around my deer stand lol the fly down kn me every year. I was doing some maintenance on my stand a few weeks ago when they came down to eat around 11 am thought damn those birds are big and if only I had my gun. Fall turkey starts next week. Deer not for anothr 8 weeks

Deer season opened 2 weeks ago. get yourself a bow and you can enjoy

-Hunting summer patterns

-Less pressure

-considerably less risk of getting shot

- being able to hunt the rut

Deer season opened 2 weeks ago. get yourself a bow and you can enjoy

-Hunting summer patterns

-Less pressure

-considerably less risk of getting shot

- being able to hunt the rut

+1. Nothing beats it. Get to see the deer more in their natural state and routine. Then in 4 weeks the woods really come alive!

Though for me, I can't wait till after deer gun season. A lot more spots open up for me to run my beagles on rabbits. its my favorite!

I know where they are roosting because it's around my deer stand lol the fly down kn me every year. I was doing some maintenance on my stand a few weeks ago when they came down to eat around 11 am thought damn those birds are big and if only I had my gun. Fall turkey starts next week. Deer not for anothr 8 weeks

Have you had a chance to get out yet? Season opened on Monday. I've been out after deer with my bow and have seen some scratching and heard some roost the other night. Sucks I'm in deer mode right now or I would be trying for a bird for thanksgiving.