WTB Remington 870

SilverAudiMike

I recently (last spring) took apart my Winchester 1500 to a degree that it's not worth trying to put back together. That said, I'm in the market for a pump shot gun. Looking at the 870 because of the availability/reliability and name. Would mainly use for sport i.e. trap, and possibly some pheasant hunting. Also would want to keep it handy in the house for personal protection. What model/barrel length should I be looking at? I obviously don't want a tactical length, but I'm not sure I want a full 28" or 30" barrel either. I also like wood stock vs. composite.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I'd consider buying used if anyone has something in great condition laying around.

from the research i've done:

Home Defense: short, plain barrel: I think the 870 comes in 18 or 18.5" lengths

Clay shooting: long vent rib: 26 and 28 are readily available for the 870

Hunting: Ask the killers ;)

I'd also look at the Mossberg 500, as its the Ford to the 870s Chevy.

If buying new, you can get combos around this time of year, with 2 barrels, most common is rifled for hunting, and longer VR barrel. Or buy whichever you want, and the alternate barrels separately but it'll cost more. Lots of used available for both.

I had the 500 and switched to 870's and a 887. I thought the 500 felt loose and sloppy. The pump action just had a lot of play in it. Also, I prefer where the safety is on the trigger for the 870's.

It's all preference, and the ford /chevy is a good comparison.

^ what they said.

Find a good condition used 870. As for barrel length if you're predominately busting clays and occasionally hunting small game (I hunt small game quite often) I'd go 28". You can get a combo as Aaron suggested and swap barrels when home if you so chose, but for what you described 28" is pretty standard.

Thanks, all. Where should I be looking for used? I'd like to stick local so I can put my hands on whatever I buy.

I prefer to do my local shopping at Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster. Better service and pricing there then I've gotten at Vances, Gander, Cabelas, etc. They price match on new too so I will print ads off any reputable site (those mentioned previously, Buds, etc.) and they match it no questions asked.

I actually don't really like my 870. It's the cheap HD version less than $300 new. It's very unreliable at ejecting shells to where one in 15-20 will get caught and stick straight out the side. I haven't bothered fixing it but all the surface edges seem unfinished to me and I think they should be sanded better.

Otherwise it's a fun gun I just would not want to rely on it for defense at this time.