Metal Roofing

zeitgeist57

I just fully replaced the roof on one of my rental homes and garage, and am now dreading the need to do it on my primary residence in a few years.

Looking at metal roofing: I know the upfront cost is a lot higher, but the roof will last for decades. I plan on being in this house for at least the next 15-20 years. House is in Upper Arlington. Looking at this site for some quick-n-durrty edumacation: http://www.centralohiometalroofing.com

Anyone with residential experience having installed metal roofing? I was out in Amish country on Tuesday and I was shocked to see how many homes had newer metal roofs. I'd like to consider the cost/value equation, get a quote from a local contractor if anyone has recommendations...

I had a contractor at the house yesterday to do an assessment for a quote. I was very pleased with his way of doing business. He was a referral, and just put a roof on a friends house. His name is Russ, with Integrity construction. His number is 614-397-7267. Ideally, I wanted him to find evidence of hail damage, so I could file a claim and use those funds to upgrade the roof to metal. He is very informed on how insurance companies work.

As for why a metal roof? Well, it's F@#$ing metal and I want something that will last and be very durable. A metal roof should last 15-20 years. Even longer, depending on the area. Growing up in Vermont, they were the way to go so the heavy snow would slide off and not weigh on the roof over a long period of time. It is common up there for people to shovel off their roof. Is it needed here in Ohio? Maybe not for that reason. I also plan to do a solar project. I would rather have a metal rook for it to be mounted to. That's just my preference. You're looking at probably $10k-$15k, depending on the size of the home. We will likely do the 3 car detached soon, and then the house once it needs it.

Give Russ a call. He has my confidence and I'm looking forward to the work he will be doing.

If you like/don't mind the look, metal is the way to go. We installed a lot of them when I was building in Athens. Built a lot of log homes with metal roofs. You can pick just about any color you want, and if installed correctly, it'll last much longer than 20 years.

Make sure if you diy or have someone else do it, that you check on the installation specs. There can be some funny rules about where and how many screws to maintain the warranty. Materials cost is a little higher, but installation is quick.

Funny you mentioned Amish country, those guys travel around installing them.

I recently went through this as we put a new roof on the house we purchased in September.

We were weighing metal vs shingle. The quote for my Owens Corning dimensional shingle (40yr, with a grain of salt) was $7500 and the metal roof was $10,000.

No brainer right, go with the metal. Well did some more digging and not all metal roofs are created equal.

The $10k offer was a 29gauge (i believe) thick metal with exposed fasteners (think close to dryer duct thickness !!!). Basically a barn roof. Take a close look at the wind resistance to the roof you look at. If you get ANY wind in a storm those fasteners will pull right through the metal and there goes your roof.

After looking at a proper standing seam metal roof with 26 gauge, it was over $20k

I figure at worse case i'll put 2 40 yr roofs on this house (unless storm damage), and then i'll be dead and my kids can worry about it. Still cheaper than a proper metal roof.