Long Range Shooting Crew?

Diamonds

This weekend (10/25/14) - Briar Rabbit Rifle range is down for maintenance, Rayners is open... but having a match, and TVP is unable to communicate with. I am currently looking into other options to shoot. Check back tonight for updates!

Guys, I must say... Going out to Rayners has created an internal itch to stretch out my rifle again. Before Rayners I was very effective at shooting 400y (one handed, smoking a cigar) and I was getting bored. I stepped up to Rayners 650 yard shot and did quite well with a multitude of guns that I brought . But, the 900/1000 yard area crushed me. But, I am determined to make 900 (and then 1k) my bitch.

That being said, I had to change my setup a little bit. I added a 20 MOA base to my gun/scope and am running 175g ammo opposed to the 168g that I've been shooting for a year. I'm really excited to get out there with this new setup and try to conquer these longer distances.

Does anyone else have this itch? It's always fun to go with some buddy's! I had a blast last week and am looking to go again in the next week or so. Anyone down?

Edited by Diamonds

All day. I usually go to Thunder Valley. They have a 1k and a 1 mile for the Barrett's. I am in all day for long range. I usually just go by myself. Still fun...

I run an LAR8 Elite Operator .308 in an AR platform with a vortex Vipr 20x 50mm scope. I still run 150 gr and just make minor adjustments for 1k. I sight in at 200 and adjust on mils for 1k. Blast... no pun intended.

I was thinking about going Sunday...Football rules my saturday. I have never been to Raynors and would love to go. I know its just past Zanesville Rifle Club off rt 60.

anyone down for Briar Rabbit Saturday?

Rayner has a match going on all weekend. And, I cant seem to get anyone on the phone at Thunder Valley.....

I always have wanted to do this with my AR but I have no experience. I am not even sure how well I could do with just my irons. Would you be interested in helping out a newbie? Plus I need to get out and meet you :)

Ok guys, here are some updates....

1. Briar Rabbit may or may not be open Saturday. The range renovations took longer than the anticipated 3 days (hard to believe). They told me to call Friday to check. I will do that.

2. Thunder Valley hasn't answered their phone (straight to VM) in 5 attempts in the past 5 days. They also haven't returned my emails. I assume (by their facebook) that they are doing renovations as well. TVP is a lost cause as of now.

3. Rayners, is open.... for a match. Its 20 bucks, and you will shoot at least 80-90 rds (im going to use it like a range day and shoot 200-300 if we go). But, I don't know how saturated it will be because its an event.

My real hope is that Briar Rabbit is open!

Now... Some points to the forum members.

1. Eric, it is my opinion that briar rabbit's rifle range is not fun if you have iron sights only. Unless you like that sort of challenge. I would be happy to help you shoot/learn/whatever but I fear that you would be driving all that way to have an hours worth of fun (or so) and you would deem it "not worth it". Ideally (for me) I like to bring a couple "unmagnified" rifles and 1-2 rifles with at least 9x zoom scopes to play around with the whole range. Again, I am ALL for you "going"... I just want to make sure you know what you might (or might not) enjoy.

2. Anthony - I can usually do a Friday half day if we plan a couple weeks out. That should be good for a nice 3-5 hour session. let me know in advance when you want to go!

3. Andrew - when is the last time you were at TVP? They seem to be SNAFU at the moment.

There is always zanesville rifle club... I am a member and there is no fees or range officers...only need me to go with you. 100-300 outdoor range with 16 pro popup targets with a pit so others can pull targets if you want. Also has a pistol range with steel plates on the side of the hill. I just shoot plates or propane tanks from 200 or 300 (sight in on paper targets first).

Irons are perfect out here. Usually only pros come out here and are training for camp perry shoots or they hold high master comps here (they only use irons anyway). Badass range. Really close to BR on route 60. They are closed Sat for cleanup, but I will go sunday. Will be early though...I mean like leaving at 7-7:30 range...Im an early bird and I have an install for work Sunday evening.

That's a possibility if Saturday is a bust. Do they allow machine guns?

There is always zanesville rifle club... I am a member and there is no fees or range officers...only need me to go with you. 100-300 outdoor range with 16 pro popup targets with a pit so others can pull targets if you want. Also has a pistol range with steel plates on the side of the hill. I just shoot plates or propane tanks from 200 or 300 (sight in on paper targets first).

Irons are perfect out here. Usually only pros come out here and are training for camp perry shoots or they hold high master comps here (they only use irons anyway). Badass range. Really close to BR on route 60. They are closed Sat for cleanup, but I will go sunday. Will be early though...I mean like leaving at 7-7:30 range...Im an early bird and I have an install for work Sunday evening.

I always have wanted to do this with my AR but I have no experience. I am not even sure how well I could do with just my irons. Would you be interested in helping out a newbie? Plus I need to get out and meet you :)

I can teach you how to shoot with irons. USMC trained us very well on irons and I can provide you some pointers. We had to qualify at 500 yards with irons.

I can teach you how to shoot with irons. USMC trained us very well on irons and I can provide you some pointers. We had to qualify at 500 yards with irons.

Awesome I would love that. I need a riser for my AR and I can put a cheap optic that I have on but I want to learn how to use both.