College Football Thread v6.0

bicranium

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio State fans should pull for Mizzou to win for a couple of reasons. One, we don't want Georgia in the title game, because a surging Georgia that beats the SEC West representative - especially if it's Alabama - makes a really good case for being included in the playoff. Second, Mizzou is capable of beating Alabama, and having a mediocre Mizzou beat Alabama would almost certainly kill any remaining chances Alabama have at making the playoff. Third, you don't want Arkansas winning, because then all the SEC honks will use that as rationale for bolstering the resumes of Alabama and Miss State (who both beat Arkansas).

UCLA plays Stanford this weekend, correct? If so, Ohio State should be pulling hard for the Cardinal. UCLA is gaining a bunch of momentum. The media is falling in love with them all over again and, quite frankly (and like DJ said a while back), I'm not really in a hurry to play them.

Obviously, it would be fantastic for Auburn to knock off Alabama. I don't see that happening, however. Alabama has revenge on its mind from last year and they are playing in Tuscaloosa. That being said, I'll be going all War Eagle this weekend.

Ohio State fans will agree with Brandon and be hoping for Georgia to get smoked by Georgia Tech. For one, it gets Georgia out of the playoff picture. Also, it gives Tech some momentum and confidence going into the ACC title game against Florida State. (BTW, I think Georgia Tech has a good chance of rolling the Seminoles especially if they can get up on them early - which just about every team has done against FSU.)

Ohio State will want Wisconsin to beat Minnesota. Us beating Minnesota again won't help our playoff resume as much as a win over Wisconsin. Of course, I'm kind of afraid of Wisconsin right now, so there's a part of me that will be okay if Minny pulls the upset...

I think Ole Miss beats Miss State, mostly because I don't think Miss State is any good and it's being played in Oxford. This, of course, would be fantastic for Ohio State.

Yup, I agree with Nathaniel that Texas could beat TCU. TCU isn't that good and Texas isn't that bad. (Side note: I think there's a ton of parity in CFB right now.)

If the SEC isn't careful, it could cannibalize itself right out of the playoff. Consider what would happen if the follow results occurred:

- Bama loses to Auburn

- Miss State loses to Ole Miss (doesn't that mean Ole Miss would represent the West?)

- Georgia loses to Georgia Tech

- Mizzou then represents the East in the SEC title game and beats the West representative (Ole Miss, or whoever - all of them would have 2 losses entering game and thus with the loss to Mizzou would have 3 losses)

- that would leave Mizzou as the SEC champion (LOL!) and everyone from the West with the exception of Bama having 3 losses. Bama with 2 losses wouldn't be appealing by virtue of having just lost at home to Auburn and the fact that they didn't even play in their conference championship game, let alone win it

- if that happens, and Ohio State gets in, I'll spend the $50 that jive owes me on buying everyone beers.

Ohio State fans should pull for Mizzou to win for a couple of reasons. One, we don't want Georgia in the title game, because a surging Georgia that beats the SEC West representative - especially if it's Alabama - makes a really good case for being included in the playoff. Second, Mizzou is capable of beating Alabama, and having a mediocre Mizzou beat Alabama would almost certainly kill any remaining chances Alabama have at making the playoff. Third, you don't want Arkansas winning, because then all the SEC honks will use that as rationale for bolstering the resumes of Alabama and Miss State (who both beat Arkansas).

UCLA plays Stanford this weekend, correct? If so, Ohio State should be pulling hard for the Cardinal. UCLA is gaining a bunch of momentum. The media is falling in love with them all over again and, quite frankly (and like DJ said a while back), I'm not really in a hurry to play them.

Obviously, it would be fantastic for Auburn to knock off Alabama. I don't see that happening, however. Alabama has revenge on its mind from last year and they are playing in Tuscaloosa. That being said, I'll be going all War Eagle this weekend.

Ohio State fans will agree with Brandon and be hoping for Georgia to get smoked by Georgia Tech. For one, it gets Georgia out of the playoff picture. Also, it gives Tech some momentum and confidence going into the ACC title game against Florida State. (BTW, I think Georgia Tech has a good chance of rolling the Seminoles especially if they can get up on them early - which just about every team has done against FSU.)

Ohio State will want Wisconsin to beat Minnesota. Us beating Minnesota again won't help our playoff resume as much as a win over Wisconsin. Of course, I'm kind of afraid of Wisconsin right now, so there's a part of me that will be okay if Minny pulls the upset...

I think Ole Miss beats Miss State, mostly because I don't think Miss State is any good and it's being played in Oxford. This, of course, would be fantastic for Ohio State.

Yup, I agree with Nathaniel that Texas could beat TCU. TCU isn't that good and Texas isn't that bad. (Side note: I think there's a ton of parity in CFB right now.)

If the SEC isn't careful, it could cannibalize itself right out of the playoff. Consider what would happen if the follow results occurred:

- Bama loses to Auburn

- Miss State loses to Ole Miss (doesn't that mean Ole Miss would represent the West?)

- Georgia loses to Georgia Tech

- Mizzou then represents the East in the SEC title game and beats the West representative (Ole Miss, or whoever - all of them would have 2 losses entering game and thus with the loss to Mizzou would have 3 losses)

- that would leave Mizzou as the SEC champion (LOL!) and everyone from the West with the exception of Bama having 3 losses. Bama with 2 losses wouldn't be appealing by virtue of having just lost at home to Auburn and the fact that they didn't even play in their conference championship game, let alone win it

- if that happens, and Ohio State gets in, I'll spend the $50 that jive owes me on buying everyone beers.

Noted

:D

Tilley, Although I agree that your scenario is the best case scenario, it's not the most realistic. Mizzou may have a shot against Bama, but it's not a good one. I'm not shooting for a 1 or 2 seed, I'm just hoping to get in, because I believe that we can compete with anyone and it's impossible to predict who will seed where anyways. I'm rooting for Mizzou to lose because I'd feel much more confident with UGA playing Bama than Mizzou playing Bama. That being said, if GT beats UGA, UGA will still play Bama if Arkansas beats Mizzou, giving UGA no shot at jumping up in the polls even if they beat Bama by 30.

Now, if that plays out like that, we still have Miss St to worry about, but if Ole Miss manages to take their thunder, you're now left with a similar scenario that you mentioned earlier, just kind of flip flopped.

Bama 2 losses

Miss St 2 losses

UGA 3 losses

Ole Miss 3 losses

Mizzou LOL

Who gets in? Hopefully none of the above, and if they do, good. I want to beat them anyways.

Tilley, Although I agree that your scenario is the best case scenario, it's not the most realistic. Mizzou may have a shot against Bama, but it's not a good one. I'm not shooting for a 1 or 2 seed, I'm just hoping to get in, because I believe that we can compete with anyone and it's impossible to predict who will seed where anyways. I'm rooting for Mizzou to lose because I'd feel much more confident with UGA playing Bama than Mizzou playing Bama. That being said, if GT beats UGA, UGA will still play Bama if Arkansas beats Mizzou, giving UGA no shot at jumping up in the polls even if they beat Bama by 30.

Now, if that plays out like that, we still have Miss St to worry about, but if Ole Miss manages to take their thunder, you're now left with a similar scenario that you mentioned earlier, just kind of flip flopped.

Bama 2 losses

Miss St 2 losses

UGA 3 losses

Ole Miss 3 losses

Mizzou LOL

Who gets in? Hopefully none of the above, and if they do, good. I want to beat them anyways.

I didn't say mine was realistic, I implied that mine would be fantastic. ;)

For the sake of argument, you don't give Mizzou a good chance against Bama, but you do Georgia? How is Georgia any more viable than Mizzou? Seriously, both have flat out stunk this year.

I'm telling you, you do not want Georgia even sniffing that title game. With Georgia in the title game, you run the risk of having 2 SEC teams make it - and maybe even 3 if things work out just right (and, by right, I mean wrong).

Let's say Georgia beats GT and Mizzou loses to Arkansas. Both are realistic possibilities, for sure. Now we have Georgia "on a roll" and entering the SEC title game.

And let's say Alabama straight smokes Auburn. That's realistic too. Auburn kind of sucks, Bama is motivated, etc. Of course, everyone will then be declaring Alabama the second coming of the '95 Huskers.

Meanwhile, in the Egg Bowl, Miss State rolls Ole Miss. That too is a possibility, since I think Ole Miss kind of sucks. What does the landscape look like then? Consider:

-Georgia would get bumped up a few notches for sure - especially if some upsets occurred in front of them (like a TCU loss or an Ohio State los). They are already sitting at #10 in rankings. Obviously, the committee likes Georgia. This was a team that was manhandled by a Florida team that I am pretty sure was starting my wife as the QB that game.

-Alabama will have a stranglehold on #1. The committee is obviously in love with them too.

-So, great, you now have a "MASSIVE CRAZY POWERHOUSE MATCHUP OF EPIC PROPORTIONS" in SEC title game between the "surging" Dawgs and the perennial behemoths in Alabama. You know how this will go: the media will conveniently forget how fucking terrible Georgia has been and forget about their annual chokejob earlier in the season and make it out like the 49ers are matching up against the Seahawks for the NFC title game.

-Meanwhile, those stupid fucking Cowbells from Miss State are just lurking around. They'll likely be #4 this week, and certainly no lower than #5. After they curbstomp the Eli Mannings in the Egg Bowl, everyone will be back on their nuts. Fucking awesome, right?

-Fast forward to the SEC title game. Let's say it's one for the ages, a tight-fought battle, one in which every fucking SEC honk is naming their hillbilly kids after. And let's say Georgia manages to come away as the victor.

-YOU CAN NOW PROCEED STRAIGHT TO DEFCOM 5. Why? Because you'll have the perfect recipe for at least 2, and maybe 3, SEC teams in the playoffs. "Georgia is the mighty victor of the SEC!" they'll say. I mean, doesn't the champ of the strongest conference in football deserve an invite? That's what the media will say, and people will agree. Georgia's in.

-But wait, what about Alabama? They were pretty much the strongest team for the majority of the year, they played the toughest schedule, and their two losses were (1) on the road and (2) IN AN EPIC CRAZY SEC SLUGFEST. Of course, some narrative will be spun about how Blake Sims had a stomach bug during the SEC CG game or how Cooper was still recovering from his injury. People will come up with some excuse to give Bama the benefit of the doubt. Don't believe me? See Exhibit A, the BCS championship game featuring a Bama team that didn't even win it's own fucking division. So, Bama was at #1 going into SEC CG game and they lose to a "really strong" Georgia team. Think it's realistic that they only drop a few spots? Well, how far did Miss State drop from #1 when it lost to Bama? And far did Ole Miss drop from #1 when it lost to LSU? Yeah, go ahead and start making the intention marks on your wrist, because it's a coming. Remember, down the street, not across the road.

-And just when you thought the nausea had passed, now you get to consider Miss State. They were at #4 or #5, they stomp Ole Miss, and now they just get to watch shit play out. And let's say Oregon loses, or Ohio State loses, or TCU or Baylor lose at some point. All of those are very realistic, and it would only take one of them losing - not all - in order for the ESPN idiots to start clamoring for having Miss State included as well.

/rant

Your argument is valid to an extent. You're assuming that a 2 loss UGA will jump us if they win out, and that Alabama will remain ahead of us if they win out but lose to UGA in the SEC CG. I think the SEC gets 1 team in, and no more.

UGA wins out - still have 2 losses, may get in if enough happens ahead of them, but if we win out, we're still ahead of them.

Alabama wins out - In

Alabama loses in the SEC CG - They may still be in if enough happens in the top 4, but if we win out, we're ahead of them.

Miss St. wins out - If we win out, we're ahead of them. Under the right circumstances they could get in, but a lot of things will have to go their way.

Of course, if EVERYONE loses...who the fuck knows what happens. We'd have to dive pretty deep into everything if that happens and start looking at 2 loss teams, which is where the SEC would have the best chance of getting 2 teams in, but like I said, that is HIGHLY unlikely.

Your argument is valid to an extent. You're assuming that a 2 loss UGA will jump us if they win out, and that Alabama will remain ahead of us if they win out but lose to UGA in the SEC CG. I think the SEC gets 1 team in, and no more.

UGA wins out - still have 2 losses, may get in if enough happens ahead of them, but if we win out, we're still ahead of them.

Alabama wins out - In

Alabama loses in the SEC CG - They may still be in if enough happens in the top 4, but if we win out, we're ahead of them.

Miss St. wins out - If we win out, we're ahead of them. Under the right circumstances they could get in, but a lot of things will have to go their way.

Of course, if EVERYONE loses...who the fuck knows what happens. We'd have to dive pretty deep into everything if that happens and start looking at 2 loss teams, which is where the SEC would have the best chance of getting 2 teams in, but like I said, that is HIGHLY unlikely.

My arguments are always valid. ALWAYS. Write that down.

For 3 teams in the SEC to get in - for there to be a realistic shot at that - I think everything has to happen the way I laid it out AND several other teams need to lose, like some combination of Ohio State, Florida State, and TCU/Baylor.

Also, remember, I'm just being all doomsday here and basically talking about it because I can and it's fun to conjecture.

So, for the sake of argument, let's say my SEC scenario plays out like I said and Ohio State doesn't lose, but Oregon does and so does TCU. Here are your contenders then for the Top 4:

-Ohio State

-Florida State

-Georgia

-Baylor

-Alabama

-Miss State

-UCLA

After Ohio State and Florida State, you have 2 slots and 5 contenders. Baylor gets left out easily because of shitty SOS and the fact they don't play a CG. That's 4 contenders and 2 slots. Georgia has to get in by virtue of #SEC. So now that's 1 slot remaining and 3 possibilities: Miss State, Bama, and UCLA. I think Miss State and Bama have just as good resumes as UCLA. For instance, both were higher ranked for a lot longer than UCLA. So, pick one - Bama or Miss State - and you have 2 teams from SEC in, voila!

If Florida State loses, Ohio State loses, Oregon loses, and either TCU/Baylor loses, you're telling me that 3 SEC teams won't have a good shot of making it? If any of those teams I listed lose, they are not sniffing the top 4. Therefore, here's your possibility pool:

-Georgia (they just won SEC)

-Bama (they just lost SEC title game, but they are Bama and it's the #SEC)

-Miss State (yup, these fucks just lurking around)

-UCLA (they just beat Oregon)

-Baylor/TCU (whichever that didn't lose would be here)

I spy 3 SEC teams for 4 slots amongst 5 possible contenders. Granted, if FSU, Ohio State, Oregon, and either TCU/Baylor lose, that's a shit ton of craziness (and likely won't happen, I get that), BUT, if it did...swan dive from the 19th floor time.

Could you imagine the uproar throughout the country (outside of the SE) if 3 SEC teams made it? That's a death wish for the committee. There would be no more committee if that happened lol, so it won't. We would go back to a BCS style rankings and leave the human element out of it, but keep a playoff system. So if the committee is sick of this already and just wants this all to be over, the way they could do that is by letting 3 SEC teams have the opportunity.

Btw, a big reason why we have a committee and a playoff is because the LSU/Alabama NC game in 2012.