.22 Plinker ideas?

Geeesammy

Every 10/22 I've ever shot runs like shit and is extremely picky on ammo.

I've had the very opposite experience. I have one that I have shot the hell out of for 25 years, and I have another that is about 2 years old. With anything, I'm sure there is a bad one out there. I would not hesitate to buy a 10/22 at all. Ease of use, capacity, and a stream lined rifle are all covered.

I've had the very opposite experience. I have one that I have shot the hell out of for 25 years, and I have another that is about 2 years old. With anything, I'm sure there is a bad one out there. I would not hesitate to buy a 10/22 at all. Ease of use, capacity, and a stream lined rifle are all covered.

Yes what he said. I've put some really old dirty russian junk ammo from the 1970s and it worked fine in my 10/22. Hollow points are fine. Subsonic no issues. Even my AR-7 had no jams with that junk shit.

it's super hefty just like the MR556. GTG. I'm sure a lot of the furniture and stuff might interchange too.... (though the rail will only fit the MR556/HK416 due to it's odd height).

Bob, while I appreciate your contributions to this thread, those are not what I'm looking for. I am entertaining the idea of a 10/22 but an AR15 styled rifle is not really what I want to get her involved with just yet. After she has shot a meat and potatoes (for lack of better term) gun, yes then I will consider them. Even though they are chambered in .22 I know she still won't be mentally comfortable shooting it just because of the stigma associated with them being the "big bad gun."

I have 2 marlin 60's and love them both equally. Every 10/22 I've ever shot runs like shit and is extremely picky on ammo.

FYI Ruger has awesome warranty service. No questions asked, they've sent me free parts, fixed stuff I broke/wore out, they'll make it right. Savage warranty work was solid as well in my one experience with them.

Grant, regardless of whether you decide to stick with .22LR or move to the much better .17HMR, this is the rifle you want

That's the light barrel model. On a rimfire I see absolutely no reason to go with a heavy barrel.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be getting this in .17HMR. You're the man.

Bob, while I appreciate your contributions to this thread, those are not what I'm looking for. I am entertaining the idea of a 10/22 but an AR15 styled rifle is not really what I want to get her involved with just yet. After she has shot a meat and potatoes (for lack of better term) gun, yes then I will consider them. Even though they are chambered in .22 I know she still won't be mentally comfortable shooting it just because of the stigma associated with them being the "big bad gun."

No worries! Just trying to stretch your manziels (dollars).

• 4 weeks later...
Grant, Congrats on the purchase. Blackwing and New Albany have 25 yard (75 feet) indoor ranges which would be a start. The outdoor Delaware range is 100 yards but call Norton Sporting Goods or look it up in the state's website to see when they close for the year. It's easier to sight in a new scope a little closer and work your way out. If you start at 100 yards get or borrow a spotting scope as 22's are damn near impossible to see without it. Good luck.