Calling all internet detectives- $1000 reward

Farkas

Hey guys, I have some unfortunate news...

A family friend of ours, Ed, had his 964 stolen. It happened on the evening of October 12, around 2:35 AM in Worthington, OH at the Studio47 shop. He doesn't believe the car itself was targeted, rather, the thieves were after the trailer and happened to get away with Ed's car as well, which was inside the trailer. Car is a 1991 Porsche 911 - VIN is WPOAB2968MS411268. He had just finished putting some serious work into this car and is offering a serious $1000 cash as a reward for finding the car.

Here's his CL ad for the reward for those interested in helping or with leads:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/wan/4750931131.html

Here are a few pictures of the car itself:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMG_9854-2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMG_9853.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMG_9855.jpg

Here's a snapshot of the thieves in action... clearly well thought out.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMG_9856.png

Ed is a great guy and has been a huge help to my family for years. I hate to hear things like this happening to genuinely good people. Please keep your eyes peeled on all corners of the internets!

Game on!

Apparently the trailers are what's being targeted at shops. ZBs shop was hit last year and the cops told him trailers are huge thefts from shops.

Good luck to your friend. :-/

This. If anyone here parks a trailer, lock that thing down. If you can't chain it, use a coupler lock and a wheel boot.

Sad :( So if they just really wanted the trailer (or maybe tools ect) do you think this thing will just end up at the bottom of a lake? Seems like it would be more of a whoops than a fack-yah moment when they open it up.

Well, the car is insured and to be honest, it's a little sketchy. But the shop refuses to claim the loss on their policy, even though the car was being stored in THEIR trailer on their premises. Ed doesn't want to claim it on his policy for obvious reasons. The fact that the shop won't claim it leads me to believe there's some foul play going on.

I know nothing about Studio47, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. Looking at their clientele, I'm sure it's much much easier for their insurance to write off a 30-40k dollar porsche, rather than a Ferrari. Not to mention, they so happened to conveniently leave the keys in the passenger seat of the car.... It's not adding up. I talked to Ed and they aren't providing any more help to him, and refuse to claim the car under market value.

The people who stole the trailer obviously knew there was a camera on the building, which is why nobody got out of the vehicle. They simply opened the back doors and hooked up the trailer. No faces to identify, or characters to profile.

Well, the car is insured and to be honest, it's a little sketchy. But the shop refuses to claim the loss on their policy, even though the car was being stored in THEIR trailer on their premises. Ed doesn't want to claim it on his policy for obvious reasons. The fact that the shop won't claim it leads me to believe there's some foul play going on.

I know nothing about Studio47, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. Looking at their clientele, I'm sure it's much much easier for their insurance to write off a 30-40k dollar porsche, rather than a Ferrari. Not to mention, they so happened to conveniently leave the keys in the passenger seat of the car.... It's not adding up. I talked to Ed and they aren't providing any more help to him, and refuse to claim the car under market value.

The people who stole the trailer obviously knew there was a camera on the building, which is why nobody got out of the vehicle. They simply opened the back doors and hooked up the trailer. No faces to identify, or characters to profile.

There has to be some way for them to force their hand on filing a claim with insurance company, isn't there.....that doesn't seem right....

There has to be some way for them to force their hand on filing a claim with insurance company, isn't there.....that doesn't seem right....

Call a local news station, give them some details, let them do the rest. The local media is always desperate for stories like this to look like they care...

IDK the studio 47 people...are they not filing a claim because compared to most of the cars they work on this was some cheap Beetle and they don't want their shop insurance rates to go up on something that isn't a huge claim?

I'd have to think they are formulating a means to make the owner whole again correct?

if not,....shame on you studio 47.

Ed doesn't want to claim it on his policy for obvious reasons.

I'm sorry but the reasons are not obvious to me. If he files through his insurance the first thing the insurance company is going to do is make a claim on the shop's insurance policy so he is only hurting himself the longer he waits. Unless he doesn't have theft coverage which again would not be obvious. If he is worried about his rates going up I highly doubt the insurance company could raise his rates since the car was not in his possession.

Also, you don't need the shop to file against their insurance policy. I assume a police report was made right? that means the police should have taken down the insurance information from the shop. File directly with the ins company, don't wait for the shop to do it because they won't. There are other ways to determine the shop's insurance carrier like contacting the department of state since they are probably required to have shop insurance. It's stupid for the shop not to just file against their policy because even if ed makes a claim with his policy his insurance company is going to subrogate his rights and go after the shop because they left the car in the trailer.

As another option he can just sue the shop. At that point they would have to make a claim with their insurance policy, or at least provide ed with all the information so he can make a claim directly. They were the ones who left the car unsecured and as long as he was paying them for storage they had a duty to protect the car.

Hey, I think he should just file with his ins. And let them go after studio47..….......... Oh

Anyway, bummer to hear, and I hope his car is either returned unscathed, or that he is made whole financially. I do not know his situation, but I know that straight losing a 40k car (or 10k for that matter) would be a real blow to my finances/plan.

Just to get everybody up-to-date. I don't know all the details...... but the trailer with the car was found intact with zero damage down at the impound lot. At this point I am guessing they caught the individuals that stole the trailer and the car and they are being returned to studio 47 on Monday morning. All is good in the world when you get something back without anything wrong with it. If I get more details on how this came about I will relay them, but I wanted to make sure it was clear, what was happening with the insurance issue.

Police found the trailer dumped at an apartment complex nearby. Trailer still had temp tags, and they called up the dealer that sold the trailer and found out it belonged to Studio47, who then contacted Ed to let him know the car was found. Lock on the trailer had not been touched, so it was basically dumped to see if it would be hot, and they'd return days later to pick it up if it were still there.

Police found the trailer dumped at an apartment complex nearby. Trailer still had temp tags, and they called up the dealer that sold the trailer and found out it belonged to Studio47, who then contacted Ed to let him know the car was found. Lock on the trailer had not been touched, so it was basically dumped to see if it would be hot, and they'd return days later to pick it up if it were still there.

If that's really the case why didn't the police just leave it there and stake it out until the thief ass bitches come back?