Why all the haters of the 40 cal?

Mace1647545504

I've always heard this. Always have also heard that if you can't kill it with a well placed 9MM round, it may not die....

This. Although, if you can't kill it with a well placed round period it may not die.

If you are in a situation where a 9mm isn't enough, then a .40 isn't enough, and a .45 isn't enough, and you need to move to a rifle.

I have heard, "a pistol is just a way to get to a real gun." Obviously may not apply to CCW.

I would love a modern handgun in 7.62x25.

Pretty close?

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/2_pistols_fn_fiveseven_usg_5.7x28mm_65021.jpg

.40 has its merits for power factor.

(projectile weight * velocity)

9mm 124gr * 1200fps 148.8 PF 382 ft-Lb

9mm 147gr * 1150fps 169.0 PF

.40 155gr * 1205fps 186.7 PF 500 ft-Lb

.40 180gr * 1125fps 202.5 PF 441 ft-Lb

.45 230gr * 830fps 190.9 PF 352 ft-Lb

Edited by cybe

This. Although, if you can't kill it with a well placed round period it may not die.

I have heard, "a pistol is just a way to get to a real gun." Obviously may not apply to CCW.

Pretty close?

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/2_pistols_fn_fiveseven_usg_5.7x28mm_65021.jpg

My buddy raves about his 5.7! I may just have to pick one up with a Tan Frame. Time for me to branch out from HK.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a .40 fan. Better stopping power and is easy to acquire site picture after firing. Now...the older I get the smaller the caliber because it only takes 1 well placed shot to get the job done. Sold the .45's and moving down, but will always have my .40 (HK USP). Need a carry pistol and will grab a 9mm for that.

Yes they cost a bit more than a 9mm, but when SHTF .40 was readily available when .22/9mm/.45 disappeared or tripled in price.

Everyone has good points, but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer .40. It seems to be the best of both worlds between a 9 and 45. Hits harder than a 9 and easier to get back on target than 45.