ok computer guys...

Spidey2721

help me theory craft. need to build a replacement desktop for mom. her old one is finally outdated enough that its not usable anymore. she has a good hard drive and power supply. this is on the cheap. the most she does is facebook, flash games, and watch videos online. (some work stuff but nothing to taxing)

soo i was poking around saw microcenter has the AMD FX 6300 Black Edition's for 90 bucks.

although what do you think about the 3.9 ghz dual core 6400k black?? its literally half the price of the 6 core. although i cant remember the last time i ran a dual core in anything.

with the bundle discount i can get a ASUS M5A97 R 2.0 mobo for like 40 bucks.

pick up 8 gigs of http://www.microcenter.com/product/382101/Ballistix_Sport_8GB_DDR3-1600_PC3-12800_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_Two_4GB_Memory_Modules]Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 for 78 bucks. (is it just me or is ram expensive?)

then going uber cheap on the graphics with a PNY GeForce GT 610. it does run a gig of 64 bit ddr3. for 50 bucks.

prolly end up buying a Thermaltake Versa H22 Special Edition to build it into. i have the v3 and was going to just get another one of those although i really like this one for the same price, and its a "special edition"! woooow. :-p

soo what do ya think? all in all i have about 320 in everything.

Edited by Spidey2721

What kind of HDD does she currently have? Size? Speed?

Youd be surprised how much of a difference a new hard drive will make. You could have the latest and greatest i7 quadrillion core 10 Phz CPU but if youre running on an old 5400 disk drive you're not going anywhere fast.

If all she does is basic internetz why not just pick up the cheapest win7/8 refurb microcenter has? You can get one for under $100 easily if you wait for open box/returns, got my dad a basic dual core refurb for $89 a couple months ago. Works just fine for him.

If all she does is basic internetz why not just pick up the cheapest win7/8 refurb microcenter has? You can get one for under $100 easily if you wait for open box/returns, got my dad a basic dual core refurb for $89 a couple months ago. Works just fine for him.

I'd pick up one of the screaming deals on a SSD instead of reusing her old HHD. She'll probably never even come close to filling a 128G drive and it will make the computer much more responsive.

These. A basic machine with an ssd will still be overkill.

In these scenarios I find the best thing to do is get a basic plan/idea for what you are going to do/buy. Then go to micro center, find one of the younger sales guys because the older guys are shady 9/10. Explain to them your goals and they will get you the best deals and not take advantage of you. Also, yes you will find cheaper Ram.