School me on Hand Operated Controls

acklac7

Father has been suffering from untreatable neuropathy in his legs and doesn't feel comfortable driving anymore. That said we're looking into hand operated installations, which may/may not prove to be a viable option.

That said, Price? Installation? Year/Make/Model issues?

Thanks again Mitch, will be in contact with them.

That said anyone else with experience? I'd really like to install the system myself, guessing installation/labor is through the roof on these types of contraptions.

My brother has CP and has much more control of his hands/arms than feet. When he was learning to drive my parents had hand controls installed in the family car. I used them as a novelty and they were very sensitive. My dad was a serious car guy and built several drag cars and a couple show cars. However, the hand controls at the time were tricky to setup right. So, he had them done and the installation costs were covered by uncle sam (taxpayers) due to my brother's disability. In your case maybe insurance would cover it? If so...I say let them. I wouldn't be surprised if you find they have to be installed by a licensed pro.

Hopefully the technology has improved since the 80s. Back then they were mechanical and attached to the pedals via rods and gears. The car was a 73 Torino with a 351 cleveland. It had a twist throttle and you turned the handle counter clockwise to apply the brakes. It wouldn't rotate to brake if the handle was twisted even a small amount. With a little practice it felt less clumsy but at first it was a white knuckle experience.

My brother has CP and has much more control of his hands/arms than feet. When he was learning to drive my parents had hand controls installed in the family car. I used them as a novelty and they were very sensitive. My dad was a serious car guy and built several drag cars and a couple show cars. However, the hand controls at the time were tricky to setup right. So, he had them done and the installation costs were covered by uncle sam (taxpayers) due to my brother's disability. In your case maybe insurance would cover it? If so...I say let them. I wouldn't be surprised if you find they have to be installed by a licensed pro.

Hopefully the technology has improved since the 80s. Back then they were mechanical and attached to the pedals via rods and gears. The car was a 73 Torino with a 351 cleveland. It had a twist throttle and you turned the handle counter clockwise to apply the brakes. It wouldn't rotate to brake if the handle was twisted even a small amount. With a little practice it felt less clumsy but at first it was a white knuckle experience.

He is on Medicare, however we can't get OSU to confirm a solid diagnosis so im guessing getting them to cover it is going to be tricky, although they have covered a few things already so maybe not. That said OSU Neurology has not been very helpful at all throughout this whole process. They initially misdiagnosed his issue as something related to a disc in his back. Said it would never get worse. Not only did it get rapidly worse but became nearly fully-debilitating. Personally I think they are now afraid to make any call/diagnosis because of the threat of a Malpractice suit, however my Father refuses to get a second opinion/change hospitals.

Not to derail the thread but the team @ OSU Neuropathy has been "poor" compared to the excellent service we received at The James.

Did they give him Gabapentin/Neurontin for it?

Nope. By their own admission they are sort of grabbing at straws as to what precisely is going on. They have mentioned that it could very well be multiple issues at play. Honestly they don't really seem interested in finding the root cause.

That said they are focused heavily on an inherited Neuropathy (CMT), which from the research i've done fits his symptoms to a "T". Although again they seem uninterested in conducting further testing to make a positive diagnosis.

He has been put on Prednisone, which he responded to extremely well, however it interfered with his circadian rhythm to the point where he couldn't sleep till 5am and had to go off of it.