ohio-senate-passes-bill-to-allow-gun-suppressors-for-hunting

Jackson1647545504

http://www.huntingandfishinglicenses.com/ohio-senate-passes-bill-to-allow-gun-suppressors-for-hunting/

In a vote of 24-6 , Ohio State Senators voted to allow suppressors for use in Hunting. The columbia dispatch posted this quote in their article “I believe this bill has broad consensus,” said Sen. Bill Coley, R-West Chester. “This is a good law. It will help update and improve our regulations in this area.” You can find this news story by clicking here.

LINK FIXED

Edited by Jackson

bad link. Also the columbia dispatch reported it hmm... they should stick to their state.

I don't hunt so I have no real input but all the hunters at my work say that just makes someone not a real hunter, and they should put the suppressor down and pick their balls back out of that purse.

... but all the hunters at my work say that just makes someone not a real hunter, and they should put the suppressor down and pick their balls back out of that purse.

I think it really depends on the group of hunters you are talking to at the time. My father used to live next door to a bow hunter and he thought gun hunting took the challenge out of "real hunting" and hunting deer with a gun was for "special needs children" (he used less PC terms).

I don't care one way or the other about suppressors, but i wish they would do something about the drinking while operating a firearm (cue someone to call me a pussy and say what's the point of hunting if you can't do it blind stinking drunk). I think this just makes it harder to see who took the shot when one dumbshit accidentally shoots one of his buddies out in the woods.

bad link. Also the columbia dispatch reported it hmm... they should stick to their state.

I don't hunt so I have no real input but all the hunters at my work say that just makes someone not a real hunter, and they should put the suppressor down and pick their balls back out of that purse.

Or they can really pick up their balls and quit hunting with firearms and use a bow like a real hunter.

Or they can really pick up their balls and quit hunting with firearms and use a bow like a real hunter. Any slack jaw faggot can sit in a blind/tree stand all day with a Long gun, waiting to ambush a buck that only walked close because it got a sniff of some Doe snatch that you sprayed everywhere.

Haha I jab at them about that as well. Almost all of them bow and gun.

You guys realize that most suppressors (silencers) aren't anywhere near being actually silent, right? It mostly just makes it safer for the shooter's hearing. Not to mention, if you're doing any sort of varmint hunting, you're not simply shooting 1-2 shots before you're done. Sitting out all day shooting at critters isn't that uncommon.

I'm all for it. Any pro-gun bill is a win in my opinion.

That said, I prefer to bow hunt (deer), but do not chide those who choose other means (I like all types of hunting). Anyone who does, please send me pics of your spear or slingshot rig. I'd like some advice on going a bit more primitive.

Good. Now they just need to remove the ridiculous requirement for a tax stamp, and MAYBE they'll be widely used. Why are they such a hassle again?

yea i don't get it. they are 100 times more regulated then the actual firearm they are attached to. to many law makers watching to much tv. suppressors do not make a firearm silent. especially if you are not using subsonic ammo. far from it. also if you shoot at a deer with a suppressed slug and you miss most likely that deer is gone. its not like you can sit up there and take 5 shots at the thing. it will still make enough sound to spook anything in the area. a 22 using subsonic, yea its pretty dang silent. other then that... not so much. i would love for them to be alot easier to get a hold of. i would love to shoot at the range with one and sub sonic ammo. so i dont have to wear hearing protection and can talk easier to the person next to me.

So, can anyone explain to me why one would NEED a suppressor for hunting? Noob gun guy here.

Not real sure. So you can shoot the rifle with no hearing protection, I guess. Either way, I agree we need to make the tax stamp process a little more friendly/economical first. I'd love a can but its just not worth the money or effort to me right now.

Not real sure. So you can shoot the rifle with no hearing protection, I guess. Either way, I agree we need to make the tax stamp process a little more friendly/economical first. I'd love a can but its just not worth the money or effort to me right now.

Another additional question; Rifles only legal to use for hunting varmints, right? So, if you were hunting Deer, you would add a suppressor to a shotgun? A'la Anton Chigurh in "No Country for Old Men"?

Another additional question; Rifles only legal to use for hunting varmints, right? So, if you were hunting Deer, you would add a suppressor to a shotgun? A'la Anton Chigurh in "No Country for Old Men"?

Ohio started to allow rifle this year for deer hunting, though in straight wall variations only, which typically aren't calibers that one would suppress (though you could). It's mostly geared to varmint hunting where one would use a bolt-gun or AR, and, be shooting quite a bit during that time. It's saves on your hearing, which is always a good thing. How many people do you see carry ear plugs with them into the woods? damn few.

Also of note, shotgun suppressors have typically been somewhat of a pipe-dream, however, SilencerCo recently came out with a suppressor for them within the past year or so that is actually pretty effective.

In the end, there's no real reason why they SHOULDN'T be legal. I mean, what exactly are they hurting? It goes back to the concept that criminals (poachers) are going to be criminals regardless of the law.

In the end, there's no real reason why they SHOULDN'T be legal. I mean, what exactly are they hurting? It goes back to the concept that criminals (poachers) are going to be criminals regardless of the law.

I'm not arguing that they should be illegal, just wondering why the .gov would see fit to pass a bill allowing their usage for hunting.

Additionally, I will say that your assumption of criminal activity surrounding using them is sitting on a pretty slippery slope. ( I realize you weren't asserting that only criminals would use them, just implying that others believed this)

You can now hunt with a rifle, but even then a can is only allowing you to shoot without hearing protection, and I never wore any hunting anyway. I can tolerate a single bang. A suppressor makes no where near the "pew pew" sound Hollywood would have you believe unless you're talking .22lr. And there is no "silencer" for a shotgun like you saw in that movie. There is no was to quiet a load that large to any meaningful level.

You guys realize that most suppressors (silencers) aren't anywhere near being actually silent, right? It mostly just makes it safer for the shooter's hearing. Not to mention, if you're doing any sort of varmint hunting, you're not simply shooting 1-2 shots before you're done. Sitting out all day shooting at critters isn't that uncommon.

I'm all for it. Any pro-gun bill is a win in my opinion.

this

When I looked online at Silencerco they were 1600 when they came out.

I believe they were 1100.00 at Blackwing when they first got them. I would assume they are not selling well... You know, the whole "2 pound toaster hanging off the end of your shotgun that adds 12 inches" thing...