Trailer Hitch

SJC1000rr

Does anyone know a good/reasable place to have a trailer hitch installed? I called U-haul today and they quoted me around $280 for install/product on a class 3+wiring. I am willing to install the hitch myself, but doing wiring is something I've never been good on.

Or does anyone have a opinion on a brand or type? Its for an 04 chevy colorado ext. cab 4WD. I'll be towing bikes mainly so no more then 1500lbs.

Edited by SJC1000rr
added weight

wiring is really quite easy, just buy some of those "tap" clips...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104093&cp=2032058.2032231.2032283&parentPage=family

any wiring kit is going to tell you which wires go where...

just make sure you buy a 5 plug harness if your truck has seperate turn signal/brake light bulbs.

Edited by magley64

If you do what they said you ll be fine. I did my own 04 F150, and didnt even use clips. BUT it would have been prettier and easier/cleaner if I would have.

I got my hitch at a local truck shop for 175, and the 7 plug for about the same. If you ever want to tow anything with any weight or plan to use a trailer brake, step it up and get the 7 prong and follow the wiring guide thats included, you can wire the trailer brake with a kit and just leave it unhooked when not in use.

But for bikes, a single axle will be fine with no brake.

Does anyone know a good/reasable place to have a trailer hitch installed? I called U-haul today and they quoted me around $280 for install/product on a class 3+wiring. I am willing to install the hitch myself, but doing wiring is something I've never been good on.

Or does anyone have a opinion on a brand or type? Its for an 04 chevy colorado ext. cab 4WD. I'll be towing bikes mainly so no more then 1500lbs.

Odds are your '04 is pre wired for it, you'll just need an adapter. Take a look under there and see if you find a wiring harness... If not, couple of splice clamps and you're golden. Sure someone on here would be willing to help out w/wiring.