Twin Turbo LS RX-7 736whp on a BONE STOCK LS1

coltboostin

First I look at the low torque of 600 compared to the up level of 736 with a BONE STOCK ls1 that makes no sense . I am not saying these numbers cannot be achieved, I am saying that they are either erroneous, or that this is not a bone stock engine. Either way I appreciate the build, not the Bone Stock part.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it certainly seems like chad's turbo wheels are very efficient, to the tune of 120% or so. Let's do the math, 1 bar of added to a normally aspirated engine in a perfect world would yield a double in power gain. 1 bar is 14.7 psi, so with the simple math, again in a perfect world, your "stock" ls1 is making 368 whp, which isn't happening.

Your understanding of how a turbo works is incorrect. 1 bar with x turbo will not equal 1 bar with y turbo. It was already mentioned, but I will let you do your own research on that.

First I look at the low torque of 600 compared to the up level of 736 with a BONE STOCK ls1 that makes no sense . I am not saying these numbers cannot be achieved, I am saying that they are either erroneous, or that this is not a bone stock engine. Either way I appreciate the build, not the Bone Stock part.

The tune, turbo set up, and everything else I have done with the car was done intentionally to keep the torque as low as possible. Torque bends rods and breaks parts, not horsepower. This is exactly what I wanted. :)

I can assure you the motor is bone freakin stock-never had the valve covers or oil pan off. There is no point in my falsifying this- as most in not all other in the stock motor group are adding ARP hardware and metal head gaskets.

I have nothing to hide, but if you want to pay my time in labor I'd be happy to take it apart. :p Let me know, and I will send you my paypal info.

Maybe he will invite you to the next dyno session? Or when the motor grenades you can perform an autopsy?

Perhaps either of those options would ease your troubles

I mentioned to Ryan that if we both make it to the end of the year, it would be great if we could do a back to back dyno session and just stay until one of us is over 900whp, or we both blow up LOL.

I would certainly like to be enlightened on how you magically engineered your turbo kit to be low in torque figures. Since the last time I checked hp is a simple function of torque, always intersecting at 5250 rpm. The one way I see overcoming this is to spin the engine way north of the 6500 rpm range, and with a stock cam and springs is pretty interesting.

I would certainly like to be enlightened on how you magically engineered your turbo kit to be low in torque figures. Since the last time I checked hp is a simple function of torque, always intersecting at 5250 rpm. The one way I see overcoming this is to spin the engine way north of the 6500 rpm range, and with a stock cam and springs is pretty interesting.

HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

Enter your values:

Torque: 590 Pound-Foot

Speed: 6500 Revolution Per Minute

Result: 730 Horsepower

Im sure the 654 ft/lbs was earlier in the revs when the home made boost controller wasnt tapering off any

:shrug: Seems legit to me ?

I mean, do you have a Supra? Seem fascinated with dyno numbers. Which can change from dyno to dyno.

Jordan covered the math since neither of us are rocket scientist. :)

Its not magic. Big turbo or turbo(s) hit late- the later they come in, the less torque you will make. I mean, this is turbo 101 Bro. ;)

Here are a few other LS based examples with larger turbos that come on later than some would like.....

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h344/fbodyjunkie06/S484Tacoma_zpsd24602e3.jpg

From

Or this-

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/forced-induction/410350d1373952657-stock-bottom-end-lq9-930whp-17psi-91mm-garrett-930whp.jpg

From

(on lower boost this run)

And one Example of a turbo set up that would send a rod out the block first pull. Similar HP to whats above, just smaller turbine/ar that hits like a freight train. Same power, much different torque curve.

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/rotary1307cc/media/162_zps18b4e8ec.png.html

Soak it in, because knowledge is power!

• Confused 1