Anyone use an android device & chromecast?

Trouble Maker

If you can do XBMC on firestick, can't you do it on google stick?[/QUOte]

XBMC is a standalone application that needs to be installed on a host such as a windows PC, linux PC, or Android device. Unfortunately chromecast doesnt allow you to install applications on it locally. I have my XBMC running on an old core 2 duo machine set next to my tv connected via an HDMI cable. Picked up a cheap wireless USB HTPC remote from ebay for 15 bucks to control it.

You could potentially install xbmc on an old android phone or windows laptop and then cast it to the chromecast. Id say there is about a 50% chance this would work as im not sure if its supported.

Edit, according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GdSsMmDCb8 it is possible. requires a bit of work though.

Maybe I missed the part about where you were getting content from? If I'm not mistaken, to use things like Plex, XBMC, you have to have some files you already downloaded onto the 'host' PC?

Plugins. 1channel for XBMC has every thing you could possibly think of. All streaming. All "free."

For plex you need a server running yes. For XBMC yes it can do this if you have a server or a windows machine with a folder shared. It can also stream tons of videos for free from the internet. Plugins like Jeffro mentioned work most of the time on my firestick. I have no idea if the chromestick will do this. I went with the firestick over chrome because the hardware on the device is better. I was surprised Amazon beat Google.

In all honesty it sounds like you want something easy. Like you said you want click play and it works. If you have no ability or desire to learn how to legally/illegally make your "whatever" do that we should stop mentioning workarounds. Just keep using your media center or laptop. That will be the easiest. A PC can play anything. These all in one media boxes, sticks, video game consoles, and fill in the blank will not do this without some effort. And even with the effort it might not work 100% of the time. Like in my case with MKV files that will no play on plex or XBMC. Who knows maybe in your case it will work. You just got to try it yourself.