Alpha 7 M5 (Tilley come inside)

2highpsi

AMS/Alpha performance is now offering parts and tuning for BMW.

Their Alpha 7 package for the M5 (intake exhaust and tune) is laying down 643 WHP :fuckyeah:

Oh yeah... JET Auto is an authorized Alpha Dealer now too ;)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/rsz_initial_m5_tune_dyno_test_comparison_zps9603b99d.jpg

Jordan please keep us updated. If my math is correct, they are seeing approximately 120 HP and 120 TQ increases over stock. That would work with me. But does it affect warranty?

Absolutely. Even Dinan performance parts (which are sold at some BMW dealers) void the factory warranty. Dinan does provide their own supplemental warranty, but I don't know if AMS does that.

Kelly BMW flagged my car as modified because they suspected it was modified (and at the time it genuinely was not), and because of that I've had to jump through hoop after hoop to have work performed on the car.

Ok, this is what I have found out.

Apparently the M5 ECU can not be simply flashed via a device like Cobb or ECUtek. Something physically has to be done to the ECU to allow the flash to happen. This is similar to APR in the manner that they flash a lot of Audis.

So now the bad news...

There is no way to guarantee your warranty doesn't get voided.

I was long under the impression that Dinan would stand behind the manufacture warranty during a failure, but I am coming to find out that isn't 100% of the story. Dinan warranty just states that if it breaks Dinan will replace THEIR part not the broken one. They WILL replace collateral damage only if the dinan work or part is at fault. In the case of a manufacture defect (ie. an injector fails and the motor blows) the manufacture COULD potentially be assholes and deny the claim if they thoroughly inspected the ECU. Dinan could then deny the claim because the fault was not caused by anything they did.

I have went through a very similar situation with an Audi, so I definitely want everyone to know POTENTIAL outcomes.

From a legal standpoint thanks to the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, the manufacture has to PROVE that a modification caused the fault before they can deny or void warranty.

I would like to think that BMW keeps this in mind. Because AMS has said they too would warrant any faults CAUSED BY THEM.

But I have personally been told by Audi "Take us to Court then"... so YMMV

If it can't be reverted back to 100% stock with a quick flash.......I'm not sure I'd jump.

It can be reverted back (at no cost)... but under close enough inspection you would be able to tell the case has been tampered with.

Again.. this is no different than APR or Dinan.

I am surprised to see you denounce a method that you have personally used and still recently recommended.

I am surprised to see you denounce a method that you have personally used and still recently recommended.

Are you referring to my APR Troll comments?

APR just recently came out with a large bunch of Port Flashes that were previously ecu removal only.

I mod everything, pretty much immediately and have had awesome *luck* regarding my experiences.

For most people, I would only only recommend getting a port flash that can easily and truly be reverted back to 100% oem without detection.

Are you referring to my APR Troll comments?

APR just recently came out with a large bunch of Port Flashes that were previously ecu removal only.

I mod everything, pretty much immediately and have had awesome *luck* regarding my experiences.

For most people, I would only only recommend getting a port flash that can easily and truly be reverted back to 100% oem without detection.

agreed

I was long under the impression that Dinan would stand behind the manufacture warranty during a failure, but I am coming to find out that isn't 100% of the story. Dinan warranty just states that if it breaks Dinan will replace THEIR part not the broken one. They WILL replace collateral damage only if the dinan work or part is at fault. In the case of a manufacture defect (ie. an injector fails and the motor blows) the manufacture COULD potentially be assholes and deny the claim if they thoroughly inspected the ECU. Dinan could then deny the claim because the fault was not caused by anything they did.

This is why we (my dealer) stopped offering Dinan products. Along with the fact you cant rightfully CPO the car if its had aftermarket products on it.

Anything you do to a modern day vehicle's computer that increases power or changes vehicle driving dynamics, will void the warranty and is 100% traceable even if you revert it back to stock. The only time I would expect a computer mod to be covered by the warranty is if it's done at the dealership

Anything you do to a modern day vehicle's computer that increases power or changes vehicle driving dynamics, will void the warranty and is 100% traceable even if you revert it back to stock.

I have witnessed factory techs attempt to prove an ECU was tuned, and fail in doing so. These were vehicles that I KNOW were infact tuned previously. It's a never ending cat and mouse game. Aftermarket finds a way to get something done undetectable, then the factories find a way to prevent that exploitation in the future.

More often than not, you are correct though, even port flashes can usually be detected.

The only time I would expect a computer mod to be covered by the warranty is if it's done at the dealership

This was what I previously thought, and I have come to find that it is not fully correct.

See the Dinan comments above. Dinan packages sold by and installed by BMW dealers can still cause warranty issues.

I have witnessed factory techs attempt to prove an ECU was tuned, and fail in doing so. These were vehicles that I KNOW were infact tuned previously. It's a never ending cat and mouse game. Aftermarket finds a way to get something done undetectable, then the factories find a way to prevent that exploitation in the future.

More often than not, you are correct though, even port flashes can usually be detected.

This was what I previously thought, and I have come to find that it is not fully correct.

See the Dinan comments above. Dinan packages sold by and installed by BMW dealers can still cause warranty issues.

Dinan is the one who offers his own warranty.

Dinan is the one who offers his own warranty.

I am fully aware of that. That warranty however is NOT what most people think it is.

Read up a few posts.

Another member even commented that their dealership stopped offering Dinan products for the exact reason I commented on in the middle of the thread.

Hyundai made the genesis ecu virtually impossible to crack. It took several years to figure it out. The genesis community was stuck with only an ems option for several years. Finally an evo tuner figured it out, however its not 100% open and can still enter limp mode.

These manufactures are trying to take all the fun away.

From a legal standpoint thanks to the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, the manufacture has to PROVE that a modification caused the fault before they can deny or void warranty.

But I have personally been told by Audi "Take us to Court then"... so YMMV

BMW can and will be a real dick about it. Apparently the regional warranty guru (don't know the guy's official title) is a real stickler company man. He bleeds Bavarian blue. If the car gets flagged as modified, expect future warranty service to be denied. The trick is to take the car to a good Service Adviser at a good dealership.

If you're going to modify a $100k msrp M5, you should do so with the knowledge that factory repair parts and labor are going to be very expensive, and that you may not have a warranty to fall back on. That's the reality of the situation, Magnuson-Moss or not.

I am fully aware of that. That warranty however is NOT what most people think it is.

Read up a few posts.

Another member even commented that their dealership stopped offering Dinan products for the exact reason I commented on in the middle of the thread.

Well that's no good..