Eye Vision - glasses out of pocket

Jackson1647545504

I use zenni a bunch and am contemplating dropping my vision coverage on my health insurance. All I basically use it for any more is the exam and I go to zenni for glasses. I need to look and see what my premium and copay is, then decide if its worth keeping or just drop it and get a cheap script from somewhere like Walmart.

You get what you pay for with these cheap companies just keep that in mind. I've been in the optical industry for almost 10 years now and would recommend going to a privately owned company over a chain any day. Well a reputable privately owned facility I should say.

You get what you pay for with these cheap companies just keep that in mind. I've been in the optical industry for almost 10 years now and would recommend going to a privately owned company over a chain any day. Well a reputable privately owned facility I should say.

I'd like to hear more, because I have gone to a few local optometrists for glasses and I've used the "cheap" zenni as well. My zenni glasses I can still wear, the others had to be discarded because they came apart.

My local optometrist charged me $110 for my "quality name brand" glasses, not including the exam and the frames failed within 6 months. I took them back and was told there was nothing they could do, I'd have to buy another pair. My zenni glasses were $7 and usps mangled them. Zenni replaced them free of charge. I have 7 pair of zenni glasses around because they cost so little compared to the optometrists "name brand" that I figured I could have spares for when these cheap ones break. Well, I'm still on pair one and I treat these terribly compared to the name brand ones. I'll be buying from zenni from now on and local places can take their name brand shit and pound sand.

^^ This. NOT Lenscrappers, Visionworks, etc.... A private independent OD or MD if needed.

I'd like to hear more, because I have gone to a few local optometrists for glasses and I've used the "cheap" zenni as well. My zenni glasses I can still wear, the others had to be discarded because they came apart.

Feel free to call me. I work in the industry and would be happy to fill you in. Let me know what part of town you're in too. I know most all the docs.

My local optometrist charged me $110 for my "quality name brand" glasses, not including the exam and the frames failed within 6 months.

^^ Who's your vision provider. Likely VSP or Eyemed. Hopefully VSP. Their brands of frames will carry a much longer warranty.

The lenses are the key and how they are made. Again, PM me, we can talk live and I'll fill you in. If I make you a pair of quality digital lenses and put them up against ANY of the online companies, you'll see a difference. Even single vision. Any script above a +/- 2.00 you absolutely will.

Ask me how I know. :)

Most doctors that work for LensCrafters and walmarts are typically fresh out of school ir haven't been tied down by a reputable company, for many reasons.

Frame quality is a big issue. Zenni is selling you frames they are paying probably $0.50 for if even that much. Thier lenses are probably basic polycarbonate (which had the worst optics out of any material shirt of a potato) or if you're lucky cr39 (which actually has great optics) with horrible antiglare "coatings". A quality antglare is no longer a coating and are much more durable. But back to frame quality as we can debate lenses alllllll night long. Any company will sell cheap frames. Come by my shop and I'll sell you some tomorrow, but don't expect a warranty on things like that. Quality frames like safilo or luxottica products come with warranties that will cover replacement. Like I said, go to a reputable company. But if $7 glasses for your fancy then have at it, but know that there are better things out there for you.

if you're an independant why would you support Lux products? Safilo...please....karma is biting them in the ass.

Well lux owns all the high end brands now, Oakley included. Hard not to support them since they have a monopoly on the industry. I support the brands they sell since people come into my shop wanting oakleys, Oliver people's and their other premier names. Outside of that and from an independent mind set I hate them. They screw us, but until another company like safilo can get as many as the top name brands under their label we are forced to stay with them as the general public doesn't care about the behind the scene issues with lux.

^^ This. NOT Lenscrappers, Visionworks, etc.... A private independent OD or MD if needed.

Feel free to call me. I work in the industry and would be happy to fill you in. Let me know what part of town you're in too. I know most all the docs.

My local optometrist charged me $110 for my "quality name brand" glasses, not including the exam and the frames failed within 6 months.

^^ Who's your vision provider. Likely VSP or Eyemed. Hopefully VSP. Their brands of frames will carry a much longer warranty.

The lenses are the key and how they are made. Again, PM me, we can talk live and I'll fill you in. If I make you a pair of quality digital lenses and put them up against ANY of the online companies, you'll see a difference. Even single vision. Any script above a +/- 2.00 you absolutely will.

Ask me how I know. :)

I'm not in Columbus...... If it's "widely known info" then why not post it for everyone to see.

Most doctors that work for LensCrafters and walmarts are typically fresh out of school ir haven't been tied down by a reputable company, for many reasons.

Frame quality is a big issue. Zenni is selling you frames they are paying probably $0.50 for if even that much. Thier lenses are probably basic polycarbonate (which had the worst optics out of any material shirt of a potato) or if you're lucky cr39 (which actually has great optics) with horrible antiglare "coatings". A quality antglare is no longer a coating and are much more durable. But back to frame quality as we can debate lenses alllllll night long. Any company will sell cheap frames. Come by my shop and I'll sell you some tomorrow, but don't expect a warranty on things like that. Quality frames like safilo or luxottica products come with warranties that will cover replacement. Like I said, go to a reputable company. But if $7 glasses for your fancy then have at it, but know that there are better things out there for you.

I never said Zenni was GREAT quality. Can I see? Yep. Are they cheap? Yep. Why pay $100+ AFTER insurance at the DO when I can get 10+ pair at Zenni for less and trash them if they break. Christ, everything in society now is throw away cheap from china. So, I'm waiting for a GOOD reason and explanation instead of the usual lazy "you get what you pay for" cop out excuse. As far as I can see it (pun intended), My cheap ass Zenni glasses let me see correctly, have not broken, and were magnitudes cheaper than the "good stuff". Will the cheap ass Zenni lenses make my eyes fall out? Will the frames attack my brains like a zombie? No, so that's reason enough for me to keep doing it this way.

FWIW, I don't need a Rolex when a Timex keeps good enough time.

+1 for zenni. Have been using them for years. Usually order 3 pair at a time for under $40. If one breaks (only happened twice, both my fault) I trash them and grab another. Reorder if I get down to 1 set. Repeat as necessary...if at all.

This guy gets it ^

Because maybe some people like the finer thins in life. Why is zenni not as good?

Things like

-Oc heights

-Lens materials / Google abbe values

-Quality of metals or types of plastics used in the frame which equates to quality / hinge quality safilo for example will blow any of the zenni frames out of the water.

-Proper adjustment / proper fitment (which you probably are that guy who takes his internet glasses into a nice store to have adjusted as the Internet can't do that for you.

-scratch resistancy of lenses and coatings / quality of lens treatments ones that don't peel or waterspot.

-warranties

-quality of service and having your questions answered by a qualified optician not a lab monkey.

-better lens options like digital / free form designed lenses that offer better clarity edge to edge than traditional designs.

There's a lot of reasons why zenni would be my last choice. But that's just me, I enjoy quality products and quality treatment in life. Do we pay a premium for that? Guess so. But if $10 glasses are what fit your lifestyle have at it, but the facts are you can get much better quality product from almost ANY private retailer and eapcially online stores.

I'm not in Columbus...... If it's "widely known info" then why not post it for everyone to see.

I prefer to keep certain things via PM.

I never said Zenni was GREAT quality. Can I see? Yep. Are they cheap? Yep. Why pay $100+ AFTER insurance at the DO when I can get 10+ pair at Zenni for less and trash them if they break.

you're pretty much there with the general population that just wants to "see better". most enjoy McD's too. However, the reason you pay $100-200 more is because these are your EYES and your VISION is something you use more daily. More than anything else and IMO that's NOT where you SKIMP on quality.

Christ, everything in society now is throw away cheap from china. So, I'm waiting for a GOOD reason and explanation instead of the usual lazy "you get what you pay for" cop out excuse.

My point is not about frames. Frames are all cheap and most are all made poorly unless you're after some higher end trendy ones which very few here on CR would likely appreciate. Sorry folks. However, I am about the lenses as I manage several of the largest labs in the US and know how glasses are made.

As far as I can see it (pun intended), My cheap ass Zenni glasses let me see correctly, have not broken, and were magnitudes cheaper than the "good stuff".

and lots of folks here Daily Drive cars Neons and Civics.

Will the cheap ass Zenni lenses make my eyes fall out? Will the frames attack my brains like a zombie? No, so that's reason enough for me to keep doing it this way.

No but there are differences in terms of quality if vision and adaption over time. Even single vision has quality differences.

FWIW, I don't need a Rolex when a Timex keeps good enough time.

Again, it's your vision. Lots of folks enjoy Vizeo TV's and can't tell the difference between their units and a high end system. Hey....perhaps it's their glasses! Somewhat serious too.

And I'll say it. Less than 5% of frames "just break". 95% of the time it's user error. And should be covered under a warranty anyways.

Well, since you know me so well, I'll inform you.

I'm the guy that has ALWAYS gone to an independent OD until recently getting screwed. Now after realizing how much mark up these bullshit quality frames and lenses have, I'll take my money to zenni and proudly wear cheap shit. Quality doesn't mean high price. If the item performs it's function properly and can do so at a lower price, why is it inferior? Because you overpaid? Like I said, a timex is fine for me, I don't need a Rolex to tell me when Beer:30 is.

I adjust my glasses myself since after going to the OD, they never fit right and always sit crooked. Am I a pro? Hell no. Do they fit after I tweak them and can I see? Yep. Good enough. (I await the excuses here)

My OD top tier frames broke while sitting on my dresser. When I took them to my OD, they informed me the lens was incorrectly fitted and the frame failed. Great, the OD should have them replaced right! Nope, I was informed that It was MY responsibility to take up the issue with the place that did the lenses. Guess the OD either didn't want to deal with it, or just thought it would be an easy sale of a 2nd pair. I informed them I'd never be back and then they wanted to make it right. Too late.

The rest of your list I don't care about. I can see, that's all that matters. If my lenses get scratched, I'll buy a new pair. If the frames break (which as you say is always the users fault anyway), I'll get a new pair.

Now if you are done making accusations and assumptions we can continue with civil conversation. Otherwise take your butthurt somewhere else and spew it on someone who gives a shit. I'll rock my low quality cheap ass glasses all the way to the bank.

^^ This is 100% true. Again, PM me for details.

I don't see the need to pm. Sorry. If it's such good info, post it. Otherwise, I see no need to try and hide behind a veil of secrecy. Also, not once did I ever say zenni was good quality. I've been wearing glasses all my life. I've always gone to a private OD until the last year or so. My eyes haven't changed much in RX the last few years, so why keep shelling out hundreds at the OD? I'm serious. If these zenni lenses are going to ruin my eyes, explain. There is no need to be so secretive.

Because maybe some people like the finer thins in life. Why is zenni not as good?

Things like

-Oc heights

-Lens materials / Google abbe values

-Quality of metals or types of plastics used in the frame which equates to quality / hinge quality safilo for example will blow any of the zenni frames out of the water.

-Proper adjustment / proper fitment (which you probably are that guy who takes his internet glasses into a nice store to have adjusted as the Internet can't do that for you.

-scratch resistancy of lenses and coatings / quality of lens treatments ones that don't peel or waterspot.

-warranties

-quality of service and having your questions answered by a qualified optician not a lab monkey.

-better lens options like digital / free form designed lenses that offer better clarity edge to edge than traditional designs.

There's a lot of reasons why zenni would be my last choice. But that's just me, I enjoy quality products and quality treatment in life. Do we pay a premium for that? Guess so. But if $10 glasses are what fit your lifestyle have at it, but the facts are you can get much better quality product from almost ANY private retailer and eapcially online stores.

Never had any of those issues and after breaking a $200 pair of glasses from a local, private retailer and not getting anything as far as replacing them I like my $10 pairs.

Zenni also no offers TONS of lens upgrades that don't add the $150 difference to the total.

Not saying anyone SHOULDN'T go that route, just saying it doesn't make sense for me. YMMV.

I prefer to keep certain things via PM.

Is it top secret? :ninja:

you're pretty much there with the general population that just wants to "see better". most enjoy McD's too.

That helps your professional arguement. :lolguy:

However, the reason you pay $100-200 more is because these are your EYES and your VISION is something you use more daily. More than anything else and IMO that's NOT where you SKIMP on quality.

Why haven't you gotten laser eye surgery then?

My point is not about frames. Frames are all cheap and most are all made poorly unless you're after some higher end trendy ones which very few here on CR would likely appreciate. Sorry folks. However, I am about the lenses as I manage several of the largest labs in the US and know how glasses are made.

I respect your opinion. Mine differs. That's all. I'm no pro though. I just think $200 for glasses is :dumb:. Again, YMMV.

and lots of folks here Daily Drive cars Neons and Civics.

So what you're saying is, if you want something that just simply works pay the $10 instead of having a Bugatti as a DD? Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it.

Well, since you know me so well, I'll inform you.

I'm the guy that has ALWAYS gone to an independent OD until recently getting screwed. Now after realizing how much mark up these bullshit quality frames and lenses have, I'll take my money to zenni and proudly wear cheap shit. Quality doesn't mean high price. If the item performs it's function properly and can do so at a lower price, why is it inferior? Because you overpaid? Like I said, a timex is fine for me, I don't need a Rolex to tell me when Beer:30 is.

I adjust my glasses myself since after going to the OD, they never fit right and always sit crooked. Am I a pro? Hell no. Do they fit after I tweak them and can I see? Yep. Good enough. (I await the excuses here)

My OD top tier frames broke while sitting on my dresser. When I took them to my OD, they informed me the lens was incorrectly fitted and the frame failed. Great, the OD should have them replaced right! Nope, I was informed that It was MY responsibility to take up the issue with the place that did the lenses. Guess the OD either didn't want to deal with it, or just thought it would be an easy sale of a 2nd pair. I informed them I'd never be back and then they wanted to make it right. Too late.

The rest of your list I don't care about. I can see, that's all that matters. If my lenses get scratched, I'll buy a new pair. If the frames break (which as you say is always the users fault anyway), I'll get a new pair.

Now if you are done making accusations and assumptions we can continue with civil conversation. Otherwise take your butthurt somewhere else and spew it on someone who gives a shit. I'll rock my low quality cheap ass glasses all the way to the bank.

http://annakie.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10002/Drop-the-mic.gif