Tips for parting out a car

AudiOn19s

The site I think is still online but it is not active anymore. The OhioVW side is on facebook and the Ohio VW classifieds is also listed on facebook now. From the items you listed above that you would like to move, I would imagine they would move pretty quickly.

+1 on the wheels. What kind are they?

Wheels are Sportec Mono 10's. 19 x 8.5 ET35 235/35/19 Sumitumo rubber. I actually have 5 wheels bought a spare way back in the day. They could stand to be refinished but this was THE wheel to have on a B5 back when I bought the car.

Brilliant marketing strategy:

1) Post a "how do i part out?" thread exposing problems up-front but without making them an issue

2) artificially generate interest in both parting out and buying car as is

3) sit back as fervor builds, market artificially inflates itself

4) sell car as is, wash hands of it entirely, and no misconstrued claims of condition.

bravo

What do you want out of parting it out?

Most money?

Least Hassle?

Parts going to a good home?

I parted out 2 540i BMWs to use parts off of for my E30 build and fund it. Parting out is a pain in the ass, but for a car like the E39 5 series (or B5 in your case) there are a ton of them on the road and many times people would prefer to buy a known good part for 1/2 the price of something new.

For the advice on parting out, you don't NEED the money so play hardball and you can make some serious cash back. I should have my V8 E30 fully funded including tools and hopefully paint by the time I am done parting out the two cars I bought. At this point for me it isn't about the money it is about being able to say I built this car for 0$ total invested (and a billion hours of work).

If you cant get at least $2k for it whole id part it out. Strip out all the main stuff, then have a 2 week / 1 month come grab whatever you need type of thing then junk it. When i parted out my 89 supra i made over $6k.

Or just keep driving it and saving cash?

Do not part it out. List it for sale and continue to drive it to work. If it's still around at the end of the year, try to replace the aftermarket stuff with stock parts and donate it, then sell the aftermarket. Either you wait a year to donate it, or you spend a year parting it out and leave it inoperable and probably an eyesore.