new to everything

hummingbird

hi guys and gals, new to the site obviously, dont have a moto permit yet, dont have a bike, but im getting there.

im getting into bikes because of the practicality, gas mileage, fast and easy to get around town, easy to work on, and i hear theyre fun.

im in new york right now but im coming back to ohio this weekend, here in new york you have to have somebody drive with you when you have your permit, and other stupid stuff so im going to wait until i get back to ohio, thats why i joined here.

im surprised that i didnt find a thread here with all the requirements for getting a permit and licsense, and all the restrictions along the way, im still not 100% sure on what my restrictions are with just a permit, im 20 years old.

so if anybody has a good starter bike for cheap let me know! (no harely style bikes...;)) and i will see you on the awesome roads of SE ohio

Welcome. My advice is get your permit and then take the MSF safety course before you do anything else. You'll get you're license when you take it as well. It will really help. If you can't get in the cheap state run ones, there are a few dealers that run them(especially Harley dealers) that do at a premium(around $300, but still worth it).

:welcome:

step 1. buy permit packet: this entitles you to nothing, no privledges

Step 2. take written test: passing entitles you to ride by yourself (no passengers) with a helmet, during the day, but not on freeways.

step 3. take MSF course: (optional but definitely suggested)

step 4. pass on-cycle maneuverability test: entitles you to ride any time, with passenger, on any road, but you & your passenger must wear a helmet for 1 year. (after that it is optional, but definitely suggested.)

on cycle test is the "final exam" for the msf course, so if you take step 3, you get step 4 included.

Edited by magley64

...im still not 100% sure on what my restrictions are with just a permit, im 20 years old.

First off, welcome!

Second, the restrictions with only a Ohio temporary permit are....

1. Not allowed on a "highway"

2. Not allowed to ride after sunset

3. Not allowed to ride a passenger

First off' date=' welcome!

3. Not allowed to ride a passenger[/quote']

You can ride your passenger, just not while on the bike ;-)

----

Also, while most agree you should take and MSF course,

you could take a MO (motorcycle ohio) basic rider course which is $25 (mostly funded by the state) and satisfies the testing requirement as well.

You can ride your passenger, just not while on the bike ;-).

Ride the passenger when the weather sucks...

Also, while most agree you should take and MSF course,

you could take a MO (motorcycle ohio) basic rider course which is $25 (mostly funded by the state) and satisfies the testing requirement as well

Same thing (terms used interchangeably)

First off' date=' welcome!

3. Not allowed to ride a passenger[/quote']

:rulez:

1.gay

2.gay

3. You can if the passenger is F&hot

but really don't haul passengers till you have your license and are confident.

:welcome: buy my bike please

+1

so if anybody has a good starter bike for cheap let me know! (no harely style bikes...;)) and i will see you on the awesome roads of SE ohio

Welcome & the bike below is in PERFECT shape. Here is the link for the for sale thread: http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=22992

Welcome! I have a 2007 Ninja 250 that needs a new home. 4K miles 60+mpg on surface streets. pm me if interested