Oil change

BBQdDude

what oil is being drained out?

are you still within break in miles?

if you are still under 5K miles put in whatever is coming out (usually dino oil). If you are past the break in mileage, then see what is coming out and either use a semi synthetic (if replacing dino oil) or a full synthetic (if replacing synth).

Also do you own the car or lease it? If you own it, the synth is worth it. If it is leased, put the cheapest crap you can find in it.

I know this sounds too easy, what does the oil cap say? Our 2015 says on the cap what oil to put in, and it is synthetic.

Or what does the manuel say?

Pro's and con's are going to depend on your intent with the car. If I was selling in 3 years or it was a lease, conventional. If anything proformance orianted was intended or long term ownership, go synthetic after break in miles.

Con, synthetic will cost a bit more.

Edited by Mojoe

what oil is being drained out?

are you still within break in miles?

if you are still under 5K miles put in whatever is coming out (usually dino oil). If you are past the break in mileage, then see what is coming out and either use a semi synthetic (if replacing dino oil) or a full synthetic (if replacing synth).

Also do you own the car or lease it? If you own it, the synth is worth it. If it is leased, put the cheapest crap you can find in it.

hitting 5k this weekend

I own

If you are getting synthetic, get real synthetic. Stuff they sell at auto parts stores labeled synthetic is just processed conventional.

Look into Redline, Amsoil, Lucas, Motul, or Royal Purple types.

I was thinking Amsoil

I know this sounds too easy, what does the oil cap say? Our 2015 says on the cap what oil to put in, and it is synthetic.

Or what does the manuel say?

Pro's and con's are going to depend on your intent with the car. If I was selling in 3 years or it was a lease, conventional. If anything proformance orianted was intended or long term ownership, go synthetic after break in miles.

Con, synthetic will cost a bit more.

Either

Long term ownership

So , I am thinking synthetic as this will be my DD once I get another go fast car in 4 years.

2015 altima sl v-6

dealer says it takes conventional or synthetic.

Pros or cons on which to use?

3,750 is the interval. At least for 2014, doubt it was changed for 2015.

The VQ35's in the new Maxima's require Esther oil, as well as the 370Z's. It is upwards of $10/ quart IIRC.

I don't honestly think there is any difference between that engine and yours. When I was at Nissan we talked about "why the 370's and Maxima's needed it and the Altima's don't?" a lot and never got an answer from anywhere. Power ratings aside, to me it is the same engine..

I'd just run a good synthetic and change it between 3500-3750. The CVT loves to lug those engines around and the timing chain will be torn up because of that. Stay on top of the maintenance and do the 30/60k services and you'll be happy.

BTW change the CVT fluid at 30k instead of 60k unless you wanna buy a new one at 90k ;)

Owned a bunch of cars, many with lots of miles and so long as you change it out regularly it won't matter. It's not a turbo, race car or beat on right? Personally, I'd save the money and go dino and change it out.

Clean oil is better than dirty expensive oil. All the expensive oils listed above just have higher zinc and other additives and are not particularly designed for cars with cats and are meant for cars that have their oil changed after every event. Buy whats on sale.

The oil filter on my altima is a real pain in the ass to get to, so I used Amsoil European 5W-40 Synthetic with a Amsoil filter. Going to see how miles I can get out of this change. Its a 99 with 250,000 miles. No leaks and no oil burning so its worth it to me.