9mm setback, Freedom Munitions

cybe

Bought a thousand 9mm on recommendation from just about everyone - I usually press my own, but I'm in the middle of relocating.

Anyway, I caught four rounds in various states of shrinkage today, following failures to eject or feed:

http://i.imgur.com/dO9JGIj.jpg

And I'm pretty salty about it. Shits dangerous. They were the proper size when I loaded then into the mags, so this is happening during recoil. Unacceptable.

Sorry for image size, on mobile.

ymmv..

It does suck. I've very interested in what they say when you contact them. I've had the same thing happen with winchester .308, and I use it as an example in classes. This is the first I have seen of any type of fail from them. Please update us soon.

I'd definitely contact them and send them images along with what order they came from. Could be related to specific batches. So far what I've bought from them have fired good.

I'm a little nervous since I just bought 500 rounds of 40 and 500 of their 9. Go read their reviews lately and you'll see they are getting trashed a lot recently.

Wait, so are you saying this happened under recoil while in the mag or while chambering?

Under recoil while in the mag, none of the bad rounds I captured had been chambered. Discovered this one after a failure to eject* and put it in my pocket, started paying closer attention.

I'd release the mag early or stop on an FTE* and find a short round, set aside the remainder of the box and switch to another.

Figure I couldn't have caught every one, must have been gambling all along. After the 4th one I packed up and went home.

They'll be hearing from me. Shouldn't have to recrimp manufactured ammo.

* (probably not the ammo's fault there, I've got a barrel swap and the extractor isn't right for 9mm)

Edit: yep I can pull the bullet and put it on calipers. They make/sell the bullets they use too and I use them extensively without issue. I bought these loaded rounds just for convenience while my press is down

Under recoil while in the mag, none of the bad rounds I captured had been chambered. Discovered this one after a failure to eject* and put it in my pocket, started paying closer attention.

I'd release the mag early or stop on an FTE* and find a short round, set aside the remainder of the box and switch to another.

Figure I couldn't have caught every one, must have been gambling all along. After the 4th one I packed up and went home.

They'll be hearing from me. Shouldn't have to recrimp manufactured ammo.

* (probably not the ammo's fault there, I've got a barrel swap and the extractor isn't right for 9mm)

Edit: yep I can pull the bullet and put it on calipers. They make/sell the bullets they use too and I use them extensively without issue. I bought these loaded rounds just for convenience while my press is down

Wow, I've heard of this after chambering a round too many times but never from recoil while in a mag.

I have some 9MM and .380acp I ordered many months ago and I haven't used it. I don't even know now if I want to risk any of it. What is the worst that could happen if these went off in the chamber? Lose a finger and destroy your firearm?

I haven't had any problems with their .223 and 5.56 rounds.

In the interest of full disclosure, admitting when you're wrong, and continuous learning;

TL;DR totally not Freedom's fault.

Here's what's up.

The pistol in question has a .40 Slide, and I use a swapped in 9mm barrell/mags. The extractor sits just-ever-so-fuckin'-slightly higher and further out as a result. When it's pulling a spent casing, it sometimes tips down just enough to catch the rim of the next one in the mag, popping the extractor off the case. Slide continues to cycle, snags the top round in the mag and slams it into the bottom of the feed ramp. Type-3 malfunction / doublefeed.

My fix - extra power extractor spring and minor adjustment to the mag lips.

Freedom apologized when they wrote back and asked how many rounds were affected, probably preparing to ship me new boxes. I declined. Good service, fine ammo. My bad. I was just wrong. This doesn't happen with my own loads because I load 147gr (less agressive ogive), and heavier crimp.

Since the fix/ adjustment, have you had the same issue, or did that simple fix it? Sucks being a bit at fault. But, I appreciate the forwardness and exact details. That is a pretty unique situation that not many would run into. I would have to think its good info for Freedom Munitions as well. Thanks for the update.

Parts on the way. Found information on the BrianEnos forum and many folks run the same rig as me have been down that road before

Somebody else's photo, note the round in the mag:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/RCharlesS/20141213_145529_zps4aa08d2c.jpg

Edited by cybe