Acceptable amount of engine movement? (Cool turbo video inside)

coltboostin

There's probably a little bit of accentuated movement because of the camera angle. Note the curve to the drivers' fender? There's a bit of a "fisheye" to the lens to capture more of the engine bay.

Also, that turbo is hanging off the front corner of the engine a good bit...even with a little bit of twist that arm of a turbo mount out there is going to move more than the block does.

Looks fine, I mean your making more than 300hp here so its going to have movement..... Torque limiter never hurts or just a chain from the block to the frame. More pics?

No I'd try and build something with an actual dampener-think glorified hood strut.

There's probably a little bit of accentuated movement because of the camera angle. Note the curve to the drivers' fender? There's a bit of a "fisheye" to the lens to capture more of the engine bay.

Also, that turbo is hanging off the front corner of the engine a good bit...even with a little bit of twist that arm of a turbo mount out there is going to move more than the block does.

That's a great point!! Never considered that.

This is low on the LONG list of things I need to fix on the car. Likely wont be until mid summer until I can dick with building this, but next time its on the dyno I will try for a mid engine shot to get a better idea of how much its moving.

No I'd try and build something with an actual dampener-think glorified hood strut.

The dampeners only help with quick engine movements (During a gear change) I would only do this if you had issues changing gears or something hits the body during the gear change. They are also pretty ricer because a properly placed rubber mount will do a better job. It will also not help with the over all distance the engine moves like during a long hard pull. The amount of movement your seeing is very minimal. Get a dog bone mount off a Toyota Camry for example and mount it off one of the heads to the fender. That will limit the amount of roll from the engine and will not add vibration to the car.