"Easiest" Factory Boosted Setup for 650 Flywheel HP

hpfiend

Isn't the SC300 the same basic engine as the 2JZ sans turbo?

2700 LB, TH350/400, built 8.8.

Sc300 has a 2JZGE, higher compression, different head/cams, water outlet location is different. Higher compression as well and lack oil squirters. Supposedly the crank and rods are the same.

If it was me I would pick up a 1JZ (can be had in longblock form minus trans for $1,000). Then sell the harness and ecu for $150-$200.

Get a good standalone, PTE 6766 and a single manifold and some big injectors with a -8 rail and boost the hell out of it. Twin scroll housing would be boobs for that setup.

Hell you could even pull a 2JZGE out of a junkyard SC300 or GS300 and get a Front facing intake mani and turbo manifold and either run lower boost or a thicker HKS HG and it would put down some serious numbers on a 6766 and it would spool quick..

Mating a Th trans to a JZ engine is NOT cheap. An option for an auto would be the stock A340E but not sure how much power those hold. Otherwise the manual options are the W58(NA Mk3 Supra's) LOL, R154(Turbo Mk3 Supra's) which in stock form can hold 450-ish, building them isn't cheap, or a V160/161 which comes in the factory TT Mk4's which is not cheap. Most ad's I see anymore ask upwards of $3,000 for a stock trans. They are supposedly damn near indestructible in stock form though..Clutches are pricey though, as with everything else.

I would go 4g myself. The rule of thumb I always hear with them is the stock internals are good to 600 before things start going bad. With rods and forged pistons you could go further, and they handle boost very well.

I call BS. Can 500whp be made with stock blocks? Sure. Is the stock block going to last at that power level? No. That's one of the issues I have with everyone on dsmtuners telling newbs they can make 500whp with a stock block. How many people out there are making 500whp on a stock block and putting legit miles on the car? Every stock block making 500+ I have seen has been pretty much a race car. Not something with 100mi weekend cruises every weekend and being used to run errands during the week.

I am sure it is perhaps possible to be done by a select few, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

I call BS. Can 500whp be made with stock blocks? Sure. Is the stock block going to last at that power level? No. That's one of the issues I have with everyone on dsmtuners telling newbs they can make 500whp with a stock block. How many people out there are making 500whp on a stock block and putting legit miles on the car? Every stock block making 500+ I have seen has been pretty much a race car. Not something with 100mi weekend cruises every weekend and being used to run errands during the week.

I am sure it is perhaps possible to be done by a select few, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

Isn't op asking about what engine to use for a racecar? Besides I said that this is what I have heard (which, Grant, you left that out when quoting me), I was not stating it as a fact. However you said you should be putting down about that range on you're car? I guess we can wait and see how it holds up. Fwiw, my motor for my car is getting forged internals, this will not be such an issue for me (more worried about the trans and rear end holding up).

JP, care to weigh in on this? I know you have done some budget 4g builds in the past, maybe you have some insight you can provide.

Zr1

2015 z06 vette

'13-14 gt500

Hellcat anything

All these are 650+ right from the factory. In terms of being easy, it doesn't get any easier than buying the car and having a full warranty and 650hp. You don't have to do shit. Put the key in, turn it, and drive. Seems like an easy question. Am I missing something?

Isn't op asking about what engine to use for a racecar? Besides I said that this is what I have heard (which, Grant, you left that out when quoting me), I was not stating it as a fact. However you said you should be putting down about that range on you're car? I guess we can wait and see how it holds up. Fwiw, my motor for my car is getting forged internals, this will not be such an issue for me (more worried about the trans and rear end holding up).

JP, care to weigh in on this? I know you have done some budget 4g builds in the past, maybe you have some insight you can provide.

He is looking for "reliable" 650 crank HP. Why thats the number? IDK. Figure through a FWD DSM trans that 550-580whp, IMO that's a bit much to consider reliable. Also, with a 3 or 4 speed RWD trans with a lot of converter it will be a dog out of the hole unless you spray it, or use a smaller turbo to make big torque down low-both of which would severely increase the likelyhood of bending or breaking a stock rod.

Can it be done? Sure. Would it blow up within a year of real drag racing ? Likley. Would a simple drop in rod/piston combo fix this? Yes, but IMO the LS is still a better fit for a RWD Auto drag car.

Was the OP's goal basically impossible to ascertain with the title of the thread-guaranteeing a train wreck of BS opinions most of which will have no bearing on what (who knows what really) he is looking for? FUCK YES.

'Merica

It wasn't an attack on you. I was elaborating on what you heard with actual fact so the OP doesn't have to go on hearsay.

As for what I'm putting down with my car...it's not on a stock block, so how long my current motor lasts would have no bearing on your previous statement on what stock 4g blocks can "handle." Same goes for previous motor. It lasted 3yrs between 25-35psi on a big turbo before breaking a wrist pin on eagle/ross combo. That was the motor I was trapping 130+ with.

I know of several stock blocks that have let go at less than 500hp.

3800 Series II is plenty reliable at 650HP and I don't think much more expensive than any other engine to get there (cheaper than many imports probably). I've personally built two that did it on a stock L67 bottom end with 100K+ -- one supercharged and one turbocharged -- plus worked with tons of others that did way more with wilder setups. If you're keeping it in a FWD car, holding the power is what's expensive. I don't recommend it.

How did you make that much with the blower? cant say ive ever seen one make nearly that.

On another note, i may happen to have a good running 3800 s2 for sale as well as a 4l60e with a 3500 stall. Perfect starting point lol

How did you make that much with the blower? cant say ive ever seen one make nearly that.

I've been around a while. My setup was with an MP112 instead of the stock M90. We had two other cars like it in our group, all made comparable power but the other two had more disposable income than I did and had built bottom ends. ;) Attached a pic.

However, I know many folks doing 600+HP with ported M90's/intercooler/heads/cam/headers/LS1 throttle body/etc. Remember, we're talking engine HP here, not wheel. The qualification was cheap and stock bottom end -- 3800 Series II parts can be found really cheap now and all are bolt-ons.

GreenMP112.jpg.ab9c3d3a36cb430d6b8de5823d7e1808.jpg

I've been around a while. My setup was with an MP112 instead of the stock M90. We had two other cars like it in our group, all made comparable power but the other two had more disposable income than I did and had built bottom ends. ;) Attached a pic.

However, I know many folks doing 600+HP with ported M90's/intercooler/heads/cam/headers/LS1 throttle body/etc. Remember, we're talking engine HP here, not wheel. The qualification was cheap and stock bottom end -- 3800 Series II parts can be found really cheap now and all are bolt-ons.

Ah ok, that makes sense lol. Yea ive never really seen someone build one up like that, but i figured they wouldnt make much over 500 or so on stock blowers. Very impressive though

P.S. I later demodded that setup to a stock blower/mild cam/pulley/headers/etc. and made 314 wheel horsepower. With the same stock block at 130k. Last I heard I heard it was still running with over 200k miles. When I was racing that bastard I beat it like it owed me money. Remarkable engines.

P.S. I later demodded that setup to a stock blower/mild cam/pulley/headers/etc. and made 314 wheel horsepower. With the same stock block at 130k. Last I heard I heard it was still running with over 200k miles. When I was racing that bastard I beat it like it owed me money. Remarkable engines.

Nice.

Yea im gonna miss mine as im sure my new setup wont last nearly as long as this one has. ive been bracket racing the car with this engine for 7 years strait making at least 3 passess every week. Never had to touch it other than to change the oil once a year

It wasn't an attack on you. I was elaborating on what you heard with actual fact so the OP doesn't have to go on hearsay.

As for what I'm putting down with my car...it's not on a stock block, so how long my current motor lasts would have no bearing on your previous statement on what stock 4g blocks can "handle." Same goes for previous motor. It lasted 3yrs between 25-35psi on a big turbo before breaking a wrist pin on eagle/ross combo. That was the motor I was trapping 130+ with.

I know of several stock blocks that have let go at less than 500hp.

No worries, I was just trying to clarify what I was saying a little. As for your motor, idk why but I was thinking it was a stock bottom.

No worries, I was just trying to clarify what I was saying a little. As for your motor, idk why but I was thinking it was a stock bottom.

I am not brave enough to try to push these stock blocks hard enough to be where I want to be power wise.

There are some fast stock blocked DSM's out there though, so i'm not saying it can't be done; I just don't think it's done as often as some people try to make other's believe.

Here is a guy that's been pushing his stock block and ebay turbo pretty hard these last few weeks, (if indeed he is being truthful about the bottom end being stock).

BMW N54 335i.

Stock engine, stock turbos with a FMIC, tune, DPs, meth/e85 will net you 400-450whp.

Stock frame upgraded turbos can get you to ~550whp.

Stock engine with big single upgrade cars have dynoed between 700-800whp.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of your responses-

Reason for the 650 hp is that I need about 550 at the rear wheels to run 10 flats in the quarter with my 2700 lb gremlin. Maybe a bit less will actually be needed but I can always bleed off the boost.

Depends on tranny/drive line right? What is the general loss, like 18%?

Reason for the 650 hp is that I need about 550 at the rear wheels to run 10 flats in the quarter with my 2700 lb gremlin. Maybe a bit less will actually be needed but I can always bleed off the boost.

I don't agree with that. In a RWD car, Auto, even off a foot brake a proper 500whp should get you there at that weight

Haha i should have put for ME to get flat 10s. In two different cars I would need the same number - 250 rwhp 14.0 in 3700 lb car- 13.0 corrected for 2700 lbs. 350 rwhp 12.3 in 3000 lb car 12.0 corrected for 2700 lbs. Either of those cars would have needed 550 to the tire for me to get a 10 flat.

It wasn't for lack of trying either hehe i put about 50-75 passes on both. We won't even talk about the corvette!! Granted those were all manual transmission cars but I had slicks or cheater slicks on all but the Vette. I am not abusive enough or coordinated enough or something to match these internet crazies.