"Easiest" Factory Boosted Setup for 650 Flywheel HP

hpfiend

Hey all, been a while-

Which platform would you go with and why?

I think 650 at the flywheel is pushing the reliability/$$ factor on the 4AG63T? (dsm), or the ford 2.3 L Turbo from the 80s, but I could be wrong?

GM turbo 4 from the Saab/cobalt ss?

Dodge srt4 neon engine?

Buick 3.8 turbo? (GN)

What about the 3800 II series supercharged setups from the grand prix and bonneviles?

2jz supra comes to mind but aren't they ridiculously priced? Isn't there a camry or Lexus engine you can add a turbo to and duplicate it?

The kicker is that it must be able to be mounted longitudinally either by design or with an adapter for front engine/rwd.

Terminator/shelby/dohc v8 setups are too big.

Thanks in advance!

You say reliability and cost are factors...but what's a great 650hp mill on the (relatively) cheap if it's an arm and a leg to get it to mount in a chassis?

What's the vehicular platform that is receiving this turbocharged engine? What's the transmission?

What about a cummins diesel? There was a full size truck one of the only times I could make it to the track last year that ran like an 8 or 9 something in the quarter.

Isn't the SC300 the same basic engine as the 2JZ sans turbo?

I just don't have the time I would like to work out the bugs with the current SBC turbocharged setup I am working on and am exploring other options that are designed to work together. This is for an AMC Gremlin chassis.

2700 LB, TH350/400, built 8.8.

What about a cummins diesel? There was a full size truck one of the only times I could make it to the track last year that ran like an 8 or 9 something in the quarter.

I just don't have the time I would like to work out the bugs with the current SBC turbocharged setup I am working on and am exploring other options that are designed to work together. This is for an AMC Gremlin chassis.

A diesel running 8-9s should be 900hp+ and no where near stock. And to put a diesel in a gremlin is gonna take some heavy duty suspension work.

I have very limited time right now- the setup has had a recurrent dead spot for years - third carb had major leaks and then it got cold before I could get another bowl and start tuning it. I don't want to take it down in the spring when the tracks are open and miss a season of running it and feel that if this dead spot isn't carb related it is going to be much worse under boost.

I have another rolling chassis I could work on while racing this one- ultimately when this engine blows I am going to switch over to the other setup I am discussing or start over LS.

Would have ditched the sb for an ls already if it weren't for the down time and I have a lot in a blow through carb i would like to use and trying to fit another v8 in the other chassis doesn't make a lot of sense as I don't have room for an intercooler now.

A diesel running 8-9s should be 900hp+ and no where near stock. And to put a diesel in a gremlin is gonna take some heavy duty suspension work.

Interesting, it looked like a diy rear mount with a huge meth injection kit. I dunno why he ditched the front mount.

2JZ in the SC300 is the 2JZ-GE, not the GTE. The block is basically the same, but the majority of everything else is different, internals especially

From what ive read, the chevy ecotecs have been tested to around that power before something let go.

Gn 3800 would be good, pretty sure they hold power well and dont think it would take alot to get it there.

Dont bother with the blown 3800's. You would be far better off pulling an NA. One out of an f body and going turbo

Depends what "reliable" is. We will see how long this new 4G63 lasts. Last motor trapped 130.75, which is what 550WHP manuals trap, so obviously its making more than that at the crank. Had it for about 3yrs then wrist pin popped. I have much better wrist pins in there now.

Also, it wasn't a track only car. Full interior, would put 100mi or so cruising on nice weekends and would use it to run errands.

3800 Series II is plenty reliable at 650HP and I don't think much more expensive than any other engine to get there (cheaper than many imports probably). I've personally built two that did it on a stock L67 bottom end with 100K+ -- one supercharged and one turbocharged -- plus worked with tons of others that did way more with wilder setups. If you're keeping it in a FWD car, holding the power is what's expensive. I don't recommend it.

Boosted 5.3 would be my first choice.

What would be cool would be an LSj (I think thats it) from a turbo cobalt.

I would go 4g myself. The rule of thumb I always hear with them is the stock internals are good to 600 before things start going bad. With rods and forged pistons you could go further, and they handle boost very well.

Its the torque coming on early that likes to destroy those from what ive heard. As long as you dont ramp the boost in crazy fast, or put a large exhaust housing on it so boost comes on slow and you should be ok. Its when boost comes on hard and early is when things start bending and breaking.

Boosted 5.3 would be my first choice.

What would be cool would be an LSj (I think thats it) from a turbo cobalt.

Its the torque coming on early that likes to destroy those from what ive heard. As long as you dont ramp the boost in crazy fast, or put a large exhaust housing on it so boost comes on slow and you should be ok. Its when boost comes on hard and early is when things start bending and breaking.

Turbo Cobalts are LNFs which get mouted longitudinally in a Soltice GXP.

However its the contradiction of 650 hp, reliably, easily, and cheap, with the options he listed. it not impossible, but that doesn't meet my definition of cheap and easy when it is going into something that has a SBC in it, and thats not cheap and easy enough?

Why does it have to be factory boosted?

If you want 650hp reliable and cheap, the answer is always boosted LSx. lol

From the guy who may have built and/or tuned more 4G63's than anyone on CR....

Boosted LS based truck motor is best. Yes, the 4G63 would be the cheapest factory boosted motor, but who cares since that seems to be the least of your worries