Building a Desktop (Gaming)

ShowHBK

Dose driver issues, doe....

Honestly, I'll never own another Radeon card...at least until something happens with their drivers. Nothing but nightmares with them. Much happier with my 2x780Ti setup than I was with my 2x290x setup.

Meh, it's a you thing.

I converted back to AMD about 3 cars ago and still going strong.

Hell, the AMD Gaming Evolved APP is pretty sweet.

"Hey you have a new driver" All you do it click and it's installed in 20-30 seconds.

This system is based off @unfunnyryan's build

I went with AMD on this build and swapped out a few bits here and there. I already have a 256GB SSD which I am going to take out of my laptop when I sell it. I wonder if Microcenter will price match this?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.88 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ OutletPC)

Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.89 @ OutletPC)

Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $958.68 (after rebate)

Microcenter Online Price:

CPU: $149.99 -

Cooler: $59.99 +

MoBo: 139.99 + ($124.99 rebate)

Memory: $69.99 =

HDD: $56.99 +

GPU: 349.99 +

Case: $69.99 -

PSU: $74.99 +

BR-DD: $44.99 -

Keyboard: $59.99 =

Total: $1076.90 (online price, no open boxes or used equipment)

Just noticed that Microcenter has a deal going on where if you buy a processor you get a Mobo bundle for $40 off the price. VERY tempting to go with the i5 unlocked now... choices... choices... choices

Stick with intel but do the i5 4690k with mobo from MC, the combo discount they have will get you down to about the same price.

For gaming, there is no need to get the i7, all you getting is hyperthreading and it's not utilized currently. Your best bet is to get a solid GPU. And look at what games you mostly play and select your GPU based on that. Nvidia does better than AMD on some and vice versa.

Other then that, i think you are good to go.

-D

Stick with intel but do the i5 4690k with mobo from MC, the combo discount they have will get you down to about the same price.

For gaming, there is no need to get the i7, all you getting is hyperthreading and it's not utilized currently. Your best bet is to get a solid GPU. And look at what games you mostly play and select your GPU based on that. Nvidia does better than AMD on some and vice versa.

Other then that, i think you are good to go.

-D

=)

Thanks for all the help everyone. If anyone has any other pro-tips please let me know. This will be my 4th PC build, first gaming rig build.

I WILL POST THIS IS THE GARAGE SALE SECTION....BUT.... i figured why the hell not do this now...

anyone want to buy or know someone who might want my Alienware M17x R4?

CPU: Core i7-3630QM 2.4 Ghz

GPU: AMD 7970m

Ram: Vengance 8GB (4 dimm slots, only two in use, up to 32GB)

slot load Blu-Ray

1920x1080p 17.3 inch display

HDMI input (you can plug any HDMI device PS4, Xbox one, etc. into the laptop and it will show up on the main display)

I can pm anyone if they want to know more about the system.

The Good:

Amazing system, very well built and eats through most demanding games on high settings. newest games need to be set to around medium to get 60 FPS. Speakers are very loud (klipsch). dual hard drive bays. Blu-ray drive is awesome for movies. Alienware FX lighting is one of a kind and can do just about any color.

The Bad:

small dent on the right speaker on the bottom of the system. small separation of the body near the back right where the HDMI input is. both these came from the strap on my bag breaking and fell about 3 feet to the sidewalk when i was walking. No damages to internal components.

This series of laptop also had a driver problem that Dell never fixed with the Audio on the system. If you put the system to sleep, then close the lid sometimes when you go to wake it back up Windows will say that there is no audio device on the system. This is a driver issue that dell never bothered to fix. The solution? just don't put the system to sleep and you will be fine. If you need to be on the move I would recommenced just shutting it down because there is a slim chance that your audio driver with shit out and then you have to reboot to get it to find it again.

The microphone port is a little screwy on this system as well. I use a USB ROCCAT headset so this has never been an issue, but for some odd reason I would always be quiet or not audible on peoples ends when I talked with them.

Asking $1100 OBO

I want to post the specs of my build and flex nuts on this thread, but I can't remember some of the stuff, honestly.

RampageIV Black Edition mobo

i7 somethingorother. It's a good one, I do know that.

2x780Ti

16GB Corsair RAM, probably dominator

2x1tb Seagate HDD

Corsair 120GB SSD (Windows drive)

Samsung 250GB SSD (Origin drive)

Samsung 500gb SSD (Steam drive)

Qnix 1650x1440 27" monitor

Corsair Carbide case. Can't remember the number, looks like a Borg Cube. Love it.

Install 16, and you'll occasionally see over 8gb use gaming. I'd agree 8gb is probably fine though, especially if you are using an SSD as well.

Well, the question is... how many instances of World of Warcraft will you be running? :-P

I quad logged with 12 GB DDR3 before, honestly didn't pay attention to how much memory each instance was using though because it ran fine in dungeons. Windowed borderless does wonders.

Back before they nerfed the amount of XP lowbies got with a level 80 running them through shit all day long haha.