CTS-VSport Premium - Personal Review

TTQ B4U

As I await spring to arrive and continue to narrow down what my next Daily will be I ventured out to drive a low mile 2014 CTS-VSport Premium.

My initial impression is WOW! E Series MBZ owners, look out! Even BMW 5 Series owners will be left surprised. GM Did a great job with this car. I was very surprised how much I really liked it. A coworker has a really nice E350 sedan and it's classy, sexy and scoots. I just really like the way it looks too.

The VSport blows it away though in every way possible though. Faster than the BMW 550i turbo V8 I drove too. Handling is sports car like and that's not exaggerating either. The BMW felt bigger than it is but still controllable and German in handling. The VSport is tossable as all get out and sticks like glue in an aggressive American way. For a 4,500lb sedan this thing handles amazingly well. The only improvement outside I think it needs better wheels. 18"s look small on it and I'm not loving their style.

Engine wise, the Twin Turbo 3.6l V6 with 420hp/430tq is mated to an 8spd Auto and is another mind blowing and pleasing experience. In the highest performance mode even with Nanny controls on full, this thing Moves out as fast if not faster than the S4 I drove. Power comes on with a very nice sound and enough oomph to push you back continuously. Even from 100-130mph it made me grin in wonder if the car would ever fall flat. It did not. The 8spd keeps it in the sweet spot regardless of when you call for power. Want to have fun and go sideways, this car will do that too. There are several settings that allow just a little tail wag before it reins you in from completely rotating.

They say 0-60 in 4.4 and 1/4mi in 12.9 and I believe it. Feels every bit that fast, especially on a cold day when I drove it. I'd say even faster up top than I expected it to be. I really love the way GM has configured the 3.6l with twin turbos and tuned it to be very linear. This is what the Ford Ecoboost needs to move up to power wise. The Caddy didn't leave me craving more power at any range. Saw no need for a manual either as the top sports mode holds gears so well that dare I saw almost too long and too abrupt of shift points? You definitely know when you're not in touring mode.

I remain really impressed. Has me torn for sure. I like the materials and interior better than the V2 CTS-V but the power of a throbbing V8 with a blower is enticing just the same. I think in a daily one wouldn't miss the V Series much at all. Yes, the VSport has upped the game that much.

I'm waffling because I can get a very low mile 2014 VSport Premium for the same price as a 2011-2013 CTS-V and who knows what the aftermarket will look like. The interior is nicer and larger but the exterior.....V2 CTS-V wins out IMO. The Vsport looks like an E350 was run through a Caddy assembly line. Right down to the gauges.

It's not the monster CTS but it is classy and well appointed inside.

V2 CTS-V wins in the Power/Testosterone war and exterior looks

The VSport wins on the interior and in the bang for the buck arena.

More first world problems in deciding. :o

Cliffs: Caddy CTS-VSport is 110% viable option to a MBZ 350, an Audi S4 or A6 Series and even a BMW 550i.

http://www.v10.pl/archiwum/amerykany/aktualnosci/cadillac/cadillac_cts_vsport_2014/cadillac_cts_vsport_2014_03.jpg

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/14q1/574965/2014-cadillac-cts-vsport-photo-574987-s-1280x782.jpg

http://lerablog.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-Cadillac-CTS-Vsport-driver-seat.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

Nice review

What price range is that? You can buy V2's from Low 30's to low 50's LOL

This one was priced at $45k. I'm flexing from $40-50k with my target at $45k. LOL on the CTS-V route. There are two right now in the 2011 range with sub 10 on the ODO. I don't really care about what year the CTS-V Gen 2 is once we pass 2011. Especially if miles are low like I'm finding. One is white one is red and they are in the $43k range. Recaro's are a must but Pano roof I don't care about and will go either way. Same with Transmission. Auto preference for a daily but I'll take a manual.

While it may feel faster than the S4 DSG, its almost identical.

Identical in a flat out drag yes. From a roll on the highway, it defintely responds better. The Audi has the advantage from a dig but it doesn't it plows noticeably where the Caddy begs to release it's tail and really amazed me.

I took the 315N to 270 ramp faster in the Caddy without even a worry that it would break loose. The Audi plowed through both apexes. Still fun but not as much and there was a point where I had to back off in it. The Caddy rocked out of the corner and pulled up the hill without any drop off or need to use the paddles for hear selection. The transmission is geared to keep the car in the go-zone. The Audi was flatter in it's delivery and felt heavy. Definitely slower there. I'd APR Stage 2 one if I got it but after the Vsport drive I would likely go Caddy and not mod it early on. You'd never know you're driving a 4,000lb car. It's really more of an A6 sized car.

The new CTS isn't selling well, and they are lowering MSRP too. Look into left over new cars maybe?
I agree. The CTS is growing up and competing in a space where not as many people buy vs the ATS range. Again, not many are shopping $65k cars like they are $40k cars. I'm good with that as right now lightly used ones are relatively cheap. Again the one I drove was near $70k new and with 13k on the ODO the dealer was only asking $45k.

Now go drive ATS-V and report back :)

I plan to. Just gotta find one that I can drive. The bummer is that it's going to be a little tight inside for what I'm in need of and it's going to be priced higher than what I'm looking to spend on it right now.

My plan is to drive whatever I get for 3-4yrs then get the new Gen 3 CTS-V.

Understood.

Did the S4 have sport diff? if not, you really should drive one with it. It'll help dial out some of the understeer.

The one I drove did not. Had to drive what they had. I would definitely buy one with it. 2013+ in Audi if I were to go that route.

Right now I'm not ruling it out but the ranking is:

1. 2011-2013 CTS-V

2. 2014 CTS-VSport Premium

3. 2013 Audi S4

All can be had for about the same price and mileage with a perhaps a bit more coin needed for the Audi. The Gen 2 V speaks directly to my man card.

The VSport speaks to me as a father and practical side. Leaves me intrigued as to what aftermarket for it will be available too.

The Audi speaks to the fact that we live in the Midwest and the fact that I'm in need of a bit of Euro lust in my life.

This one was priced at $45k. I'm flexing from $40-50k with my target at $45k. LOL on the CTS-V route. There are two right now in the 2011 range with sub 10 on the ODO. I don't really care about what year the CTS-V Gen 2 is once we pass 2011..

Whats the difference between the 09-10 and 11+?

Whats the difference between the 09-10 and 11+?

Minor nit-picky things. What I've noted is:

• They didn't have standard backup cameras.
  • Navi wasn't standard nor were the rain sense wipers.
  • Interior was carbon fiber look only

• Interior sappelle wood trim was optional, Navi Standard

2011+

• has back up standard back up camera
  • they also changed the v logo to the right side of truck, and the "Cadillac" in script on the rear trunk lid bar and have different "gills" on the front fenders.
  • Blind Spot indicators on mirrors
  • Performance wise the ECU has better stock programing for the tranny. Although moot as I'm going to mod it with a pulley and tune that will alter the tranny too.
  • Supposedly they fixed the rattle related to the Pano Sunroof. Most of the issues I see are pre 2011.

I'm sure there's more but the above is what I've noted.

I simply want as new of a model as I can get with low miles. Mileage leading the charge for me. So long as it's 2011+ I'm good.

I'm in for either black or white. Both are sexy I think.

http://i.oodleimg.com/item/3642182795u_1x424x360f_2012_cadillac_cts/?1399478422

http://photos.ecarlist.com/YQ/Ke/ha/BU/PB/sm/37/8l/8N/Sy/QQ_640.jpg

It's nice but I would not drop that much coin on a car with rebuilt title

It's nice but I would not drop that much coin on a car with rebuilt title

^^ This

I'll spend a bit more to get a clean one owner car. There are a number of them out there with <15 on the ODO.

Jaron put me in touch with the shop that will be doing the tune and mods that are proven winners. The guy has hundreds that he's done and logs and dynos for them to review. She'll be in the 585-595rwhp range when done. That's plenty for a daily. Hell, stock would be plenty but who can stay stock when a pulley and tune alone can do so much for so little :gabe:

Kind of ugly compared to its older brethren. Is the car THAT big or are the wheels smaller? They look like 17s!?

EDIT: I see you said 18s...I guess its just a big honkin' car.

yes, the car is big inside. Not sure of side by side specs but it feels a lot roomier than the outgoing platform. Thus why I think now the A6 and 5 Series owners will enjoy it.

I love my 13' S4 but I find myself wanting more. Granted mine is bone stock and with a simple tune it picks up 60awhp, I'm still entertaining the idea of trading in on a gen 2 ctsv.

I went to be dreaming of a CTS-V.......found a great wagon too. But then I woke up and this VSport is calling me only because it is pretty fucking nice inside. Dare I say nicer than the Gen 2. There's side of me that doesn't want to plop $45k down on 6yr old technology. Sound silly but once you drive one compared to the Gen 2 you'll see what I mean. Definitely feels 6yrs newer. I equate it to a C5Z06 vs a standard C6. Not so much power wise but everything else.

I kinda like the edgy MBZ E-Class look they have about them too. Classy but In-Your-Face, I'm a Caddy Middle finger to you Mercedes attitude is fun.

Off to see how the aftermarket tunes are improving....there are a number that are laying down what Gen 2's put down to the wheels with a nice tune. That's promising. 12.099 at 118.6 on street tires is what I've seen possible from other forums. I'm good with that :) Trifecta Tuning has a nice flash tune set up that they show dyno'ing at 457/511 to the wheels. I've been bantering with an owner in San Diego that got 461whp and 506wtq and loves it. There are others with upgraded intercoolers intakes and downpipes approaching the limits of the fuel pump and putting down over 500hp though.

The only downside is CUE.

True but it performs night a day faster compared to the CUE from just a couple years ago. I've rented the previous gen CTS units when in Cali for work and their CUE was slow to perform. This one isn't.

I'm being Clay I know...but waffling is the fun part about deciding. Anyone could sit around splitting hairs about running high 11's or low 12's and I'm sure a 1/2 second means something to some. On the street where I live, I think a simple flash tune that really monsters up the car will be fun. I kinda like the sleeper effect too.

The Supercharged V8 is amazing, the boost from a twin turbo is too. Tall Blonde vs Short Brunette is the best way to describe it if that makes sense. Both are hot. Add in what the tune is doing to both the power and transmission delivery that I'm reading about and I'm all but fully in love. I'm meeting with a local guy that does installs for Trifecta this coming week to see and ride in his.

The part that's pushing me over the edge is the VSport really does look and feel 6yrs newer in technology. Interior fit and finish are way better then Gen 2 V's. That's the biggest thing as I enjoy cars from the inside out first and it will be a daily for the family and my customers. If I could just put the Recaro's from the Gen 2 in it it would truly be perfect. Although the stock seats are very nice. It's bigger inside too which is a plus.

I think the tune and a new set of wheels....use the stock ones for winter and put a really nice of aftermarket set wrapped in summer only rubber on it to dress it up a bit will be what I do. Don't rule out the odd-ball chance I find a perfect Gen 2 and go crazy though. Depends on how much coffee I have I guess :p

First world problems....thanks for reading.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Looking into Summer wheel set ups: Like Christmas in February :p

Not worth $1,400 ea. including tires IMO but they look nice and I'm sure I'll find a bit more reasonable set out there.

http://d3groupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_8627-1024x640.jpg

I love my 13' S4 but I find myself wanting more. Granted mine is bone stock and with a simple tune it picks up 60awhp, I'm still entertaining the idea of trading in on a gen 2 ctsv.

You will love it Mike and if you want to drive mine you can !! I just picked up a srx last night man 2 in the house i must be getting old hahahahahah