FWD Axle shortening?

Farkas

Called Driveline1 and they won't touch FWD axles anymore... bummer. They directed me to Babbitt Bearing just down the street and I haven't received a returning call, yet.

Need someone or a capable shop to shorten my driver's side axle by about a half-inch and weld it solid with a sleeve.

You may be able to get the half inch by re machining the snap ring grooves in on each side. It may be difficult to find someone to cut and reweld because of liability. You may be able to find shortened shafts for the VW online. Gary at Babbitt bearing probably will not cut and weld, but may be able to help you with the splining or groove cutting, or can make you an axle for $250 or so

I just dropped a pair of FWD (MK1 VW) axles with Dave @ Babbitt today. They are about 3 weeks out. I have not personally used them before, but he knew just how mine were done before (center of the splines bored, shafts cut down and machined for the splined piece to slip back over and tig weld in place) and was comfortable replicating the process.

I'll see how they look in a few weeks...

I just dropped a pair of FWD (MK1 VW) axles with Dave @ Babbitt today. They are about 3 weeks out. I have not personally used them before, but he knew just how mine were done before (center of the splines bored, shafts cut down and machined for the splined piece to slip back over and tig weld in place) and was comfortable replicating the process.

I'll see how they look in a few weeks...

Fantastic, I'm looking to have my MK1 axles done, too... but I'm in a rush and can't wait 3wks -_-

Why not cut it and weld both halves back into a sleeve? Proper material and a good welder and itll be as strong as stock.

That's what I'm looking to accomplish, although I would have to know how to weld.

I'm not sure how comfortable Alex L. would be with doing something like this, but he is a hell of a welder.

He was the first person I approached and he said he's not willing to risk it, which I totally understand.