Armslist, etc.

Geeesammy

Over the past few months I've seen countless weapons I would like to purchase that are listed on Armslist. However due to what I see as a risky transaction (a party unknown to me, with at least one firearm involved) I have not bothered to contact anyone.

What have you personally done to ensure these transactions are as safe as possible? Please don't give me the obvious "well lit place in a non sketchy area of town". I know on Craigslist a huge area with loads of people, for example the Polaris Mall parking lot is a good idea, but for something like this all it takes is one mom to see two guys standing around fiddling with a gun and it can quickly escalate to officers showing up with guns blazing, almost figuratively.

I wonder if there'd be police stations willing to allow use of their parking lots for such a transaction. Maybe call a non-emergency number and ask? I'm sure there's drawbacks but it's just a thought, hopefully to provoke some good discussion.

I've thought about this as well. The two people that I have contacted asked me to come to their place of residence. That is just not going to happen. If it is someone I know, sure. Friend of a friend, sure. Any other circumstance it is not even debatable.

Grant, I think you already said the most obvious is to use common sense. I always talk to someone over the phone first. Ask them questions about what you want to buy, their motivation for buying and selling etc. if you get a bad feeling or it seems fishy walk away. I acknowledge I have a CHL up front. That way regardless if I am buying or selling, the other party knows there is a good chance I am armed. Plus it lets a seller know you can pass a background check. If you end up meeting, examine everything to make sure it matches the description. If there are too many people there and you are uncomfortable, just leave. Even if you get this far you can still say no thank you and walk away. Use an open trunk or something to examine anything and obviously don't hold it up and waive it around. If you want to function test first ask to meet at a range. Bring your own gear and ammo. My expieriences have been about 50/50.

I've bought and sold a couple this way.

I just always met them in a busy parking lot, gun stores work well.

I've never dealt with a long gun but handguns I usually just do the deal with my passenger door open on the truck. You can set the gun on the seat and handle it behind the door without anyone seeing what you're doing.

I have met a guy at Easton parking lot to buy an AR.. I have met a guy at a target parking lot to buy a hand gun.. I have met a guy in a CVS parking lot in marysville to buy a handgun.. Among other transactions... Typically all inspections done in the trunk area of their car or SUV

I don't think it is as big of a deal as you're thinking it is. Yes it is a firearm and Yes if you go running through the parking lot with it or aiming it at cars you could cause people to get nervous. But a basic check over of the weapon and cash exchange is not that big of a deal.

I would Never go to someones house to buy a firearm.. And I would never meet a stranger to buy anything unarmed..

I've made purchases and sold in many parking lots. Mcdonald's, Meijer, a gas station, someone's house, a church parking lot, a gun store parking lot. Just call them and talk before you decide on meeting up. If you feel uneasy don't do the meet. I show everyone my CHL right after I shake their hand. I haven't had any issues. Stop worrying so much. Open carry is legal in Ohio.

I usually have people meet me out in the country, somewhere reasonably close to freeways to allow for convenient arrival/departure with some woods nearby for ambience and a medic or aid station within a mile or so in case you get hurt.

Not a single complaint yet.

I have met a guy at Easton parking lot to buy an AR.. I have met a guy at a target parking lot to buy a hand gun.. I have met a guy in a CVS parking lot in marysville to buy a handgun.. Among other transactions... Typically all inspections done in the trunk area of their car or SUV

I don't think it is as big of a deal as you're thinking it is. Yes it is a firearm and Yes if you go running through the parking lot with it or aiming it at cars you could cause people to get nervous. But a basic check over of the weapon and cash exchange is not that big of a deal.

I would Never go to someones house to buy a firearm.. And I would never meet a stranger to buy anything unarmed..

Thus committing a felony consider Easton is posted for no Firearms...

As everyone has said daylight, busy parking lot. If your worried about people saying something meet at a gun friendly location. Just recently for me Cabellas. The police station has popped into my mind before but I've never bothered to ask. Also never hurts to bring a friend.

I meet a lot of people in the cabelas parking lot. It's a busy area where most customers are gun-people and they/we assume all the back-of-the-parking-lot people parked are there for gun deals.

Again, cabelas is good because the average soccer mom won't freak out as it is probably common place for her significant other to do the same thing you are doing.

I have done over 25 AL transactions.

Thus committing a felony consider Easton is posted for no Firearms...

It's only a felony if you take it into say a Gov. Building. or any of the places enumerated in the ORC.

A private business it's basically a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

Lots of parking lots around Easton that are not posted at all so would be just fine.

It's only a felony if you take it into say a Gov. Building. or any of the places enumerated in the ORC.

A private business it's basically a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

Lots of parking lots around Easton that are not posted at all so would be just fine.

Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?

http://www.ohioccw.org/wiki/Prohibited_Places

As far as parking lots:

This gives a private entity the right to post their parking lot or parking facility. This violation is not criminal in nature. The private entity would need to sue a subject in civil court and be able to prove that the violation caused a loss to their entity. To date there have been no cases of a business suing an individual over this matter.

One time I met a seller at an abandoned ammunition factory to buy an rare Galil. As I was driving back through the gates on a very overgrown road with branches scraping along the sides of the car, I realized that it probably wasn't the safest situation. I did have my G23 ready to go but I had a large amount of cash and this place was REMOTE. On top of that, it was next to an active military facility where they had a firing range. IF there was anyone around to hear them, they probably wouldn't have thought twice about the sound of gunfire.

Fortunately, the seller was a good guy and it all worked out fine. He was the owner of the property and wanted to meet there so there were no people to get excited at the sight of a scary black rifle.

I would recommend to make the transactions in public parking lots such as Cabelas or any other store that sells firearms. People generally won't give a second glance in those locations.

Why did I never think about Cabela's. That is a hop, skip and stones throw from me.

I'm not as concerned about it as it may seem. I was just looking for some first hand experiences people here have had, that's all. Got exactly what I was hoping for.

I've sold a few handguns to members on this site mostly. I've met at large parking lots, Home Depot, Menards, Target, McDonalds and always leave the gun in the trunk. They come, I open the trunk, they inspect, pay and I go on my way. Pretty easy transaction. I usually leave their info (phone number, screenname) with my wife in case I don't make it home.