Buh Bye Buckeye Lake

wagner

Imagine that. An almost 200 yr old DIRT dam is failing and some people STILL want to deny it. Might as well start somewhere before the next bridge and dam fails. It's shocking how few inspectors we have for all of our bridges and dams. Then you have states like Alabama how has ZERO, yes ZERO, inspectors for their failing bridges and dams.

I think it'd be cheaper to equip all homes in the flood area with large flotation devices. Wherever your house stops is where you now live and probably lake front property again. All problems solved.

I think it'd be cheaper to equip all homes in the flood area with large flotation devices. Wherever your house stops is where you now live and probably lake front property again. All problems solved.

"I used to have a trailer but now it's a houseboat, thanks Obama"

Head to lake dillon it'll be getting overstocked from buckeyes drainage if so

Only problem there is Dillon is a LOT further out to drive to from Cbus, proximity is the main reason my dad and a lot of others fish Suckeye. Soon enough they may not have a choice though.

My dad wants to fish Hoover a lot more but getting any distance on that lake is slow going on a trolling motor unless you already have a kicker, wish they would at least bring up the hp limit to 50 for the lake.

Did they decide not to drain it but come up with an evac plan....signs/sirens and shit?

Not sure on sirens, but the evacuation route signs have been up for a year or more, well before the latest events.

Right now it's being kept at low winter pool level I guess, which really limits boat traffic given it's already a shallow lake. No word on draining it, but really any repair/maintenance/replacement plan will require near complete draining.

I saw on OGF some guys were suggesting draining the lake, dredging it to add depth, and selling the super rich pudding-y bottom mud as fertilizer to fund the repairs. The bottom is very high in peat in many areas, so it's very fertile or whatever. Issue I see is that adding much depth adds lots of pressure to contain, so not only would the dam need fixed or replaced but also likely expanded significantly.

Only problem there is Dillon is a LOT further out to drive to from Cbus, proximity is the main reason my dad and a lot of others fish Suckeye. Soon enough they may not have a choice though.

My dad wants to fish Hoover a lot more but getting any distance on that lake is slow going on a trolling motor unless you already have a kicker, wish they would at least bring up the hp limit to 50 for the lake.

I was being sarcastic about dillion... buckeye is my main lake, hell I moved 8 miles away because that's the closest the wife would let me..lol ..this just really sucks.. from what i hear half of the lake will still be boatable while they repair the dam, it will be left at winter pool for years while they make a new dam wall 4 miles long. I dont think theyll have to drain it further. I've got a kicker just usually fish alum vs hoover so i can get around the lake at 45mph instead of 5mph in my 19ft boat.

as far as fishing i've had 3 trips out there this week as the lake has unthawed and landed 37 keeper saugeye all on rogues and big joshy swimbaits. don't know what's going to happen with the crappie and gill spawn tho as most of their normal areas are mucked off right now

Not sure on sirens, but the evacuation route signs have been up for a year or more, well before the latest events.

Right now it's being kept at low winter pool level I guess, which really limits boat traffic given it's already a shallow lake. No word on draining it, but really any repair/maintenance/replacement plan will require near complete draining.

I saw on OGF some guys were suggesting draining the lake, dredging it to add depth, and selling the super rich pudding-y bottom mud as fertilizer to fund the repairs. The bottom is very high in peat in many areas, so it's very fertile or whatever. Issue I see is that adding much depth adds lots of pressure to contain, so not only would the dam need fixed or replaced but also likely expanded significantly.

Not sure that you will find adding depth to,the lake will place any more actual pressure to the dam itself. It will definitely add weight to the bottom of the puddle, and more depth would create a different, probably larger wave, exerting more force.

The pressure at a point below the surface of a liquid in a constant gravitational field depends only on the depth of that point and the pressure at the surface.

Not sure that you will find adding depth to,the lake will place any more actual pressure to the dam itself. It will definitely add weight to the bottom of the puddle, and more depth would create a different, probably larger wave, exerting more force.

The pressure at a point below the surface of a liquid in a constant gravitational field depends only on the depth of that point and the pressure at the surface.

P = hpg

I was being sarcastic about dillion... buckeye is my main lake, hell I moved 8 miles away because that's the closest the wife would let me..lol ..this just really sucks.. from what i hear half of the lake will still be boatable while they repair the dam, it will be left at winter pool for years while they make a new dam wall 4 miles long. I dont think theyll have to drain it further. I've got a kicker just usually fish alum vs hoover so i can get around the lake at 45mph instead of 5mph in my 19ft boat.

as far as fishing i've had 3 trips out there this week as the lake has unthawed and landed 37 keeper saugeye all on rogues and big joshy swimbaits. don't know what's going to happen with the crappie and gill spawn tho as most of their normal areas are mucked off right now

My dad would do Dillon and others more if they were closer. We still prefer Erie but a weekend up there can get expensive. He wants a kicker so he can go to Hoover but again $$$. Alum is nearly impossible to fish save for early am weekdays with all the morons on that lake most of the time.

Alum is nearly impossible to fish save for early am weekdays with all the morons on that lake most of the time.

my boat is a bass style fish n ski that's 18'6" and it handles anything the jackasses at alum want to throw at it. What's far worse that any ski boat or cuddy cabin are the freaking sail boats that will try to run over your dick.. there's been a few times I've thrown a 1/4 oz jig head into their fucking boats.. I'm fixed in a position anchored (digitally with the terrova) and these fuckers under power will get 10 ft from your boat expecting that you'll move

Fuck sail boats