Laptop/Tablet for a 4th grader...

Bam

Looking to get a new laptop/tablet for the kid. Prefer to spend around $300 but can spend up to $500 if feel it's that much better. Prefer touchscreen and windows, otherwise completely in the dark.

Thanks

That's a big budget for what you are looking for...

Does his school / class use Kahn Academy? If so, IPads are great. We got our Daughter an IPad Mini. She does GREAT with it.

Good Luck!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Haven't heard about the Kahn academy but she already has a normal iPad. We're looking for an actual computer as they have a lot of online hw and just hw in general a computer is needed for and we want her to have her own.

Wow, didn't know kids were using that stuff this young now. I was almost in high school before we got a computer at home. Different times I suppose.

They have been using computers for hw for the past couple years, she's just gotten by on our home desktop for now.

Planning to checkout microcenter, Costco and best buy... Anything else we should look at?

I bought my 3rd grader a chromebook because that's what her school uses, and she was familiar with the UI, and they're quite cheap. Also her school links and work were synced since she was able to use her login. I would check with the school to see what they recommend before making a purchase.

what is her main use of it for?

both my kids have iPads and use them in school for notes and powerpoint creating. they use cloud storage for most everything and then can easily work on them here at home on their laptops too.

my son is 11 and is very responsible. I trusted him with a laptop. My daughter who is 8 is responsible but still too young for one to lug around at school so she uses the iPad in an otterbox. By the looks of the case, I'm 300% glad I have it too. :o

We ended up buying this just a little bit ago. Just got home and getting it setup. Probably got talked into a little overkill but hopefully it'll last her awhile. It was at the top of the amount I want to spend before I realized you had to buy office for another 120, lol.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/444610/Aspire_R3-471T-53LA_Touch_14_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver

15 day money back return policy so guess we'll play with it for a week and figure out if it works for us.

She mainly needs it for school work, whether it be on the Internet or word/PowerPoint and then of course games/music/pictures for fun.

I know you said you wanted windows, here is another vote for a Chromebook. Been using one for over two years and I love it. I have spent virtually zero time on maintenance. Just turn it on and it works.