CTS-V 8.8 swap? Anyone have experience?

STEVE-O

Has anyone done this conversion or know anyone who has? It looks as if cs is the only one who makes a complete kit to the tune if about $4,000. Def not spending that coin.

Diff bushing replacement and adding the bmr brace kit is roughly about $600-$700 (adding new seals, fluid etc)

So was wondering really if it can be done for much less piecing it together yourself or any tricks maybe to cut costs? If there is no real other iptions I'm just going to get upgraded bushings and add the bmr bracing

CS + 8.8 is the only way to go to get rid of the problem for sure.

Other than that it depends on driving style, power, and luck.

I have heard of people installing H&R springs and it gets rid of the problem. I have heard of people doing full BMR kit + full bushings and its still there.

I am in the same boat as you and not wanting to drop $4,000 to get rid of a problem that shouldn't be there to start with.

My car will actually be up for sale within a month. Partly because of constantly worrying about my diff and with my E30 project almost finished no point in having two similarly powered cars.

I do have the BMR kit if you are interested that I never installed. And the H&R + MM kit.

Didn't realize you had a V?

I have a diff bushing I would let go cheap. Unless I already gave it to Clay, can't remember. I've been debating an 8.8 as well. If I were to do it, I would try to piece together as much as possible and buy the CS bracket, axels, and DS adapter. Still looking at probably 3k though.

Didn't realize you had a V?

I have a diff bushing I would let go cheap. Unless I already gave it to Clay, can't remember. I've been debating an 8.8 as well. If I were to do it, I would try to piece together as much as possible and buy the CS bracket, axels, and DS adapter. Still looking at probably 3k though.

Well I don't yet, but soon. And it def needs fixed but was thinking Ifor the swap can be done for lets say 2 grand is consider doing it all at once and be done. Il def post pics etc after I pick it up. But now I must sell my diesel after the front end work is complete.

They all seem to act a little differently. In mine the only time it seems to hop is in the rain. With decent summer tires it was rare. I even took it to one of the Circleville autox events and ran 5 or 6 times in the rain with almost no hop. I have a 4th gen diff though.

They all seem to act a little differently. In mine the only time it seems to hop is in the rain. With decent summer tires it was rare. I even took it to one of the Circleville autox events and ran 5 or 6 times in the rain with almost no hop. I have a 4th gen diff though.

I'm looking at a 06 and will not see any auto x events strictly daily, building a mustang for my toy/track car just want to have a safe diff maybe little upgrade if the price is right. I see the bmr support being a must and for the cost extra insurance as well

Don't get the pinion brace! Too many people have bought it with good intentions only to find there problems magnified.

My next few "insurance" upgrades are going to be subframe bushings and the Voodoochikin carrier bearing.

Don't get the pinion brace! Too many people have bought it with good intentions only to find there problems magnified.

My next few "insurance" upgrades are going to be subframe bushings and the Voodoochikin carrier bearing.

Really? I will look into this much more, what all do you have done already? Was leaning twords also upgrading with the anti wheel hop kit and trailing arms, and the cs block. Also saw cs has a tool so the diff does not need to be dropped down to install the new bushing. Save 5 or so hours of labor sound to good to be true. Any experience with this? Tia

Edited by STEVE-O

Really? I will look into this much more, what all do you have done already? Was leaning twords also upgrading with the anti wheel hop kit and trailing arms, and the cs block. Also saw cs has a tool so the diff does not need to be dropped down to install the new bushing. Save 5 or so hours of labor sound to good to be true. Any experience with this? Tia

I bought the diff bushing because I assumed it needed replaced. Biggu and I dropped the exhaust and had most the diff nearly out in around an hour before he noticed that it appeared to already have an aftermarket bushing already installed. Was in good shape, so it stayed. From what I understand the tool is designed to make it easier to remove the bushing from the diff. Apparently it is the worst part of the job.

I currently have Revshift motor mounts, Pacesetter headers (no cats), Magnaflo X. Revshift trans insert, CS diff bushing, 54 inch shifter, K&N CAI, and Brian tuned it.

It needs that carrier bearing bad. I'm getting some bad vibrations at freeway speed.

If the car you buy is stock I would do the motor mounts and shifter first.

I did the bushing in my garage with the CS tool - it was simple.

I never had a problem with wheel hop but I rarely drove it as if I stole it.

Good to hear I think I'm going to get cs bushing and their tool as well then. Was it true you didn't have to remove the diff at all to use it?

I bought the diff bushing because I assumed it needed replaced. Biggu and I dropped the exhaust and had most the diff nearly out in around an hour before he noticed that it appeared to already have an aftermarket bushing already installed. Was in good shape, so it stayed. From what I understand the tool is designed to make it easier to remove the bushing from the diff. Apparently it is the worst part of the job.

I currently have Revshift motor mounts, Pacesetter headers (no cats), Magnaflo X. Revshift trans insert, CS diff bushing, 54 inch shifter, K&N CAI, and Brian tuned it.

It needs that carrier bearing bad. I'm getting some bad vibrations at freeway speed.

I haven't got it out at freeway speeds yet to check that but it looks like a really nice piece as well

I had the Rev Shift motor mounts as well but had IPS install them. You will absolutely know if you need motor mounts. The car will feel like it "diesels" on start up and shut down. I felt the diff bushing when shifting - felt "clunky". My car felt amazing after those two fixes. Felt like a new car.

I had the Rev Shift motor mounts as well but had IPS install them. You will absolutely know if you need motor mounts. The car will feel like it "diesels" on start up and shut down. I felt the diff bushing when shifting - felt "clunky". My car felt amazing after those two fixes. Felt like a new car.

I can hear the diff bushing without even having to move just putting it in 1st it clunks every time. Should be in the left early next week to confirm 100%