Dodge Charger SRT 392 vs Hellcat

El Karacho1647545492

I worked the auto show this past weekend and got to check out plenty of cars. The best part, though, is when we evacuate the building at the end of the show and we get to hear all the "off limits" cars go.

One that really impressed me was the Charger SRT 392. Hearing that thing start up I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Hellcat. That thing sounds like a pissed off grizzly bear.

So naturally when I'm killing a little time yesterday after the show I configured a few SRT 392s to compare them to the Hellcat. While the Hellcat is definitely awesome at 707hp, you'll pretty much never be able to put that down on the road. The SRT 392 comes in at 485hp, and COMPLETELY loaded, I'm talking upgraded paint colors, every option and package selected, you're looking at a $57k car which is likely to be more available, not marked up, and completely loaded compared to the $67k starting price of the Hellcat which you can't order anymore (too many orders), will definitely be marked up, and doesn't have all the extra goodies.

So you've basically got $10k with which to put into go-fast bits at your discretion.

Other than the warranty implication, can anyone really justify getting a Hellcat rather than just modding the everloving fuck out of a SRT 392?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would $10k get you beyond the power, handling, and drivetrain capabilities of the Hellcat? $10k can disappear really quick.

Base price on a SRT 392 is $47k. Base for base you have $20k to play with.

I think it'd be possible to gain 200hp with $20k.

That's why I started this thread, I wanted to get people's different views.

EDIT: Configured a Hellcat Charger and it tops out at $67k base MSRP, but you can't get the same equipment (for instance, no leather seat option).

Still, it'll be tough to find a Hellcat Charger at MSRP due to demand.

Can anyone really justify either of these cars when you can spend the same amount and buy a real 426 hemi powered 60's dodge/Plymouth and get twice the coolness/style factor points and an actually appreciating asset.

I mean that's what we are after right? nobody DDs their Hellcat or SRT 392 and hardly anybody is really driving these things like they stole it, right? It's all about impressing the people who don't have one with the biggest stick imaginable, right? If you are not hung up on numbers matching and that whole gig a 60's roadrunner with a crate hemi is way more impressive.

• Downvote 1

I'll buy one in 20 years when gas shoots up to $25/gallon and they all get dumped for cheap. Then resell when gas drops back down to $15/gallon and people start buying trucks again.

If I can find a manual.

If I can find a manual.

Can you get it in a manual?

FWIW, which might not be much, the ZF 8HP (8AT in those cars) is a really, really good (automatic) transmission.

At least with the Hellcats you can get the Challenger in a manual, but not the Charger. There is no Charger manual in any form, the body was nto designed for it.

FWIW, which might not be much, the ZF 8HP (8AT in those cars) is a really, really good (automatic) transmission.

At least with the Hellcats you can get the Challenger in a manual, but not the Charger. There is no Charger manual in any form, the body was nto designed for it.

Barf.

I would daily the hell out of it with my two child seats in the back.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/a28954bd579e6530a2ec2bed1f01a7c0.jpg

I WILL daily the fuck out of that.

No, you cannot take $10k, and add it to a scat pack and make a hellcat. You can try, but if you want hellcat power with a warranty, there's only one way to do it. Same way you can add a blower to a 5.0 mustang and pretend it's a gt500.

I'll buy one in 20 years when gas shoots up to $25/gallon and they all get dumped for cheap. Then resell when gas drops back down to $15/gallon and people start buying trucks again.

If I can find a manual.

They wont last 20 years. No new cars will lol

AFAIK the SRT 392, Scat Pack, and Hellcat Charger variants are all only sold with the 8-speed auto.

Fast and Loud had a pre-production 392 with scat pack package on the show last night that was a 6 speed.

Maybe that is one of the options that didn't make it to production???

Fast and Loud had a pre-production 392 with scat pack package on the show last night that was a 6 speed.

Maybe that is one of the options that didn't make it to production???

Charger or Challenger? No Charger manuals were ever built by the factory. It would require changes to the floorpan, which would require much more crash testing for what would be a very small take-rate option.

Barf.

Seriously, go drive something with that transmission. Drive an S4 w/DCT (which is almost universally considered better than the manual in that car) and SQ5 w/the 8HP and objectively tell me that the DCT iteration is a better drive train than the 8HP. I don't think anyone could. :)

Those are the closest cars I've driven that have a 'manual' like transmission and the 8HP. It would be really interesting to check out some Challenger with a manual versus the 8HP.

Are there any other cars out there that have both w/the same engine in the same chassis? Maybe some BMW?

Charger or Challenger? No Charger manuals were ever built by the factory. It would require changes to the floorpan, which would require much more crash testing for what would be a very small take-rate option.

I'm an idiot...you are correct sir that was a Challenger

No, you cannot take $10k, and add it to a scat pack and make a hellcat. You can try, but if you want hellcat power with a warranty, there's only one way to do it. Same way you can add a blower to a 5.0 mustang and pretend it's a gt500.

Exactly. More often than not, you can not make a lower model car "better" than a factory hot rod by spending the price difference on upgrades. You can absolutely make it perform better in certain areas, but it's usually not a full package, doesn't retain a warranty, and doesn't have the value or demand as the factory hot rod. By the time you upgrade the drivetrain, suspension, interior, exterior, wheels and tires, etc. that usually differ between the models, you're well past the budget.

Exactly. More often than not, you can not make a lower model car "better" than a factory hot rod by spending the price difference on upgrades. You can absolutely make it perform better in certain areas, but it's usually not a full package, doesn't retain a warranty, and doesn't have the value or demand as the factory hot rod. By the time you upgrade the drivetrain, suspension, interior, exterior, wheels and tires, etc. that usually differ between the models, you're well past the budget.

Exactly, but bang-for-the-buck the Scat Pack is a steal at ~485 HP 6.4L for $20k+ less than a Hellcat. But even if you put a new Kenne Bell on the 6.4L for 900HP, the Hellcat still has a ton of other upgrades you couldn't match.