lettuce talk home security cameras

smokin5s

What does people use? How much was it, etc....

My home was vandalized over the weekend and I currently have ADT for the house if someone comes in, but do not have any type of monitoring on my property or my garage (man cave) out back... What does people use for cameras? How much was it and how hard was the install? Any companies that do installs and are actually reasonably priced?

I tried the cheapo nightowl system from micro center because I got a smokin deal on it. Worked great for a few months, then the software shit the bed and no longer works with the windows anymore. Retrieving recordings off the dvr is a major pain.

The cameras are decent, easily enough to make out faces at close range, but are limited to about 30 feet in the dark.

I have a Synology NAS that comes with a surveillance software piece. Im using basic Foscam wireless 720p cameras. Motion detection, alerts, DVR all pretty easy to do and setup. I would like a slightly better solution in the future when I build a place and do a more permanent install with better quality cameras.

I run wireless Foscams managed by iSpy software that is running on my computer 24/7.

They are outside and you have to run power to them.

Not as simple as some of the DVR systems but I have decent computer running all the time anyway so I figured why not use it.

so are the cameras all wireless? Can they work outside? How is power normally handled through these cameras?

The cheapy nightowl has BNC connections, two wires run from the DVR to each camera. I have cams outside and they've been fine in the weather for a year or so. Have to wipe the funk off the lens every few months to keep a clearish picture.

that qsee peaks my interest... my only real concern is how to run those wires to an exterior wall and still keep everything water proof.. Are there installers that will come out and install it or anyone here with enough experience who wants to help out for a few bucks or beer and pizza to get them wired?

Running the wires isn't too bad. The qsee camera footage cable has a power cable attached. So right at the dvr it splits off for power and video feed. I just ran it all through the crawl space, tucked behind some siding and mounted them.

I will say if you run over 60' of cable they suggest getting a separate power supply for that camera power because by the time it divides between each camera and runs that distance it is not strong enough for dark IR. I just bought another splitter and run it for my other cameras.

My next house I'm getting the 1080. The footage from the ones I have now is great at day and OK at night. Some say my night photos are actually really good compared to other night time cameras.

Do you have lights?

Random, but cheap...I have a few of these around and they work pretty well. I think they sort of look like cameras so some dumb criminal might not know any better when the light kicks on. I have had them for 3 or 4 years now and they still work flawlessly...batteries last a year or two!

Just wanted to share

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Beams-Outdoor-Black-Wireless-Motion-Sensing-LED-Spot-Light-MB360/205299966?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CjwKEAjwucmoBRDmysGsgbDr5j0SJAAxL9ab1tNsIekK3qLcjBMs4f9tyFfX9KSeyUlQPEZgQFXfxBoC2Mnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

how bright are they? there are a few places that I'd like to mount these that would be extremly helpful for low light areas but yes my property is pretty well lit.

Also do you still need an electrical gange box to mount them or do they just screw into a stud?

how bright are they? there are a few places that I'd like to mount these that would be extremly helpful for low light areas but yes my property is pretty well lit.

Also do you still need an electrical gange box to mount them or do they just screw into a stud?

it will light a small area pretty well. It isn't going to be as bright as like a 120watt flood light, but it will get the job done.

I don't know what you have out there but usually the police can't do anything with the footage you record. Someone that knows what they are doing will wear a mask and those that do not likely don't have a record to look up. They aren't going to put out a most wanted ad for a burglary/vandalism and usually your homeowners insurance deductible is so high and limits on easily stolen items (firearms, jewelery, tools) make it a royal screwing.

I install and monitor alarm systems on the side and suggest you get a dog. Alarms are great for making sure you are awake in the event of a home invasion and alerting the police to come to your aid for personal safety, not so much for securing non-living valuables. Make sure you post a beware of dog sign or they will probably sue you for all you are worth if your dog mars their toenails.

it will light a small area pretty well. It isn't going to be as bright as like a 120watt flood light, but it will get the job done.

Hard to see as this is the only pic I have to use... but you can see my garage on the right...you can barely see the little light I have under the soffit. It lights that whole 12x15 area beside the garage very well. I have another outside the gate to light the driveway area...Id say you ger decent light for a 15' radius if aimed right. Pretty nice.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/405C43BD-46C7-428F-86DD-48D16F3AE412_zpsipbac3cy.jpg

They literally can take just one screw and they are installed. There is space for 3 screws though if you like.

My images have helps CPD get an idea of who is breaking Into cars so I find some of that info hard to believe.

Granted I am cynical but have you been able to collect any damages or recover loot from the thieves, have they been put in jail or fined?

Hard to see as this is the only pic I have to use... but you can see my garage on the right...you can barely see the little light I have under the soffit. It lights that whole 12x15 area beside the garage very well. I have another outside the gate to light the driveway area...Id say you ger decent light for a 15' radius if aimed right. Pretty nice.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/405C43BD-46C7-428F-86DD-48D16F3AE412_zpsipbac3cy.jpg

They literally can take just one screw and they are installed. There is space for 3 screws though if you like.

This picture was taken at night? Impressive!

I have a dog and a house alarm... this is more to monitor myself, even when at work or if we go out of town etc.. we can keep an eye on my teenage daughter or things like when someone takes the time and effort to dig up my train tile and cut my cable line in the ground, I can see their face and maybe get an idea of who it is... we live in the country and I could probably pick out by body type, how they walk, etc.... even if they are wearing a mask. (or bust the neighbor kids who have damaged my property before)

Granted I am cynical but have you been able to collect any damages or recover loot from the thieves, have they been put in jail or fined?

You said police can't do anything with the footage you record. Which is false, they actually took images I sent them and sent them out to the officers to get an idea of who is doing it. I haven't had any damages but the last guy they caught said looked like him.