NY-to-LA record broken.... again!

Farkas

And he tells a lot of details about how it was done in his GT-R powered Q50 Infiniti lol.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/ny-la-26-hours-28-minutes-gt-r-powered-dual-control-infiniti-q50/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/IMG_79171-550x550.jpg

• Upvote 1

Duplicate Steering Wheel/Pedal Set in Front Passenger Seat For On-The-Fly Driver Swaps

Holy.

Custom Ceiling-Mounted, Electrically-Actuated, Gyro-Stabilized Observation System w/Roof Pass-Through, including Helmet w/FLIR & LL Overlay to Optics For Rear Passenger

Fuck.

Alex roy is the man. Last time his avg speed was 75mph(?) with the M5. His 2007 book wasn't the greatest so I doubt he'll do one about this run. While it contained a lot of details about the prep & actual run in 2006 it mostly outlined his automotive history leading up to it.

Either way + rep for posting this!

Edited by Sturg

The 3rd driver is from Columbus:

“Greg Ledet was the newcomer. We’d been talking for two years before this run, but we met only once before last week. Once I came to accept Maher’s criticism of my focus on 31:04 on technology and caution, I knew I’d have to put my foot down on the next attempt. I needed a third driver whose expertise today surpassed my own in 2006, and whose experience and judgment was at least as good as my own. That man was Greg Ledet, the unheralded holder of the third fastest cross-country time ever – 31:17 – now the fourth fastest. Ledet, an effusive network engineering consultant from Columbus, Ohio, proved himself the right choice.”

The 3rd driver is from Columbus:

“Greg Ledet was the newcomer. We’d been talking for two years before this run, but we met only once before last week. Once I came to accept Maher’s criticism of my focus on 31:04 on technology and caution, I knew I’d have to put my foot down on the next attempt. I needed a third driver whose expertise today surpassed my own in 2006, and whose experience and judgment was at least as good as my own. That man was Greg Ledet, the unheralded holder of the third fastest cross-country time ever – 31:17 – now the fourth fastest. Ledet, an effusive network engineering consultant from Columbus, Ohio, proved himself the right choice.”

Fucking Bonkers:

The “Spy Hunter” Modification

“There was much internal debate about the wisdom of the smoke generator. My former therapist (to whom I’m engaged) brought key insight into the conversation: ‘Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.” I’ve always felt this way about firearms and was instantly convinced, and so ordered installation without informing my teammates. Upon their unhappy discovery of the device, we agreed upon a usage protocol that was satisfactory to all: We would only deploy the smoke dispenser to create a smoke screen if traffic behind us was at least a mile away, in daytime, and a police vehicle was in pursuit, such that we could slow the pursuit and make an escape. Three NORAD-style keyed safety switches were installed, one beside each team member. TWO such switches had to be enabled simultaneously in order to deploy the system.

“I budgeted for an oil slick dispenser, but this seemed to cross a moral line beyond even my low and flexible standards. In my mind we would only deploy the oil slick in the event NO civilian traffic was behind us for one mile AND a police vehicle was in pursuit, with no restriction for night-time use. My primary concern was that someone might be driving a Morgan 3-wheeler somewhere behind us. Or worse, a Polaris Slingshot.

“The smoke generator was only used once. Effectively.”