Cutting the cord DVR question

Richard Cranium

How many channels are you pulling in on your antenna? And are they clear or does the signal fade in and out?

Looks like 23 total, but I really only give a crap about 7 of them. Several are home shopping and several more are religious. The regular channels are all I have queued up and have not had any problems with quality or fading. I am early in my experience though. Once I have the ROKU boxes hooked up I'll probably start using it more and will have more details about quality and experience. So far everything has looked pretty good.

Cut cable cord.

Keep Internet.

Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime

Get free shipping with Amazon Prime = bonus perk

Go to sports bar for live sporting events

The end to this entertaining little tale of liberation and cost savings.

Cut cable cord.

Keep Internet.

Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime

Get free shipping with Amazon Prime = bonus perk

Go to sports bar for live sporting events

The end to this entertaining little tale of liberation and cost savings.

That's basically my plan, I'm just adding an Over the Airwaves DVR to the package. Will cost a bit more, but I maintain the convenience of a DVR and the savings will eventually pay off the equipment purchase.

• 1 month later...

Alright, I finally did it. I had been a customer with DirecTV for 15 years (I didn't realize it was that long). I just called and cancelled my service.

The solution I went with for Over The Airwaves DVR is the Tablo. That box with a cheapo digital Amazon brand antenna, and a 2TB Western Digital hard drive is now my TV system. The signal is distributed through the house via network, so I can watch TV on my PCs, tablets, phones, etc... The TVs in the house both have ROKU 3 boxes that have a Tablo channel for recorded or live TV.

My capabilities now are to play recorded or live TV on just about every device in my house other than the toaster oven. The PCs and the TVs have Netflix, Amazon and shortly will have HULU Plus.

My costs so far are not insignificant, but the system will pay for itself within the next 6 months. My only recurring cost other than the streaming services is a TV guide service through the Tablo. $5 per month seemed a little steep. I chose the $50/year package.

Overall I am happy with the system. There does seem to be a hiccup between the Tablo and the ROKU boxes for live TV. Sometimes the video buffers then plays, but then continually stops to buffer. It does not always do this, but TV is unwatchable while this is happening. Hopefully once I move everything to cables and off the WIFI that will help and/or a software update will resolve the problem. It does not happen on devices other than the ROKU, and only for live TV. Recorded TV has not shown the same issues.