I drove a Tesla P85 (no D)

greg1647545532

I just got the upgraded Recaro seats...super nice and comfortable. They still will not please those looking for the weighty Mercedes or BMW interior. But to each their own, Like Doc, I love the clean lines and sparseness of the interior. No buttons and super clean lines with matte Obeche wood grain. When gas goes up over $4 a gal again, and it will, people may rethink it.

I don't think gas prices factor in much.

Even if the energy cost of the Tesla was $0, the price difference between it and the Mustang I just bought would buy you 16,000 gallons of gas at $4/per. At the EPA rating of 19MPG break even is at 304,000 miles. That even ignores the time value of money which is hugely against the Tesla and it's upfront cost.

When gas goes up over $4 a gal again, and it will, people may rethink it.

meh....goes up from what, $3 gal? That's about $45mo additional for someone going 12k/yr at 22mpg overall average. Even then for a $180mo. in savings, do you really think you're going to take someone from a $30-$40k car to an $80K+ car? It's still cheaper to pay for gas and minimal maintenance new cars require. They need to get the costs of these cars down. Love the idea of them and they are nice cars.

Anyone affording more than $40k for a car likely doesn't care about gas prices.

I don't think gas prices factor in much.

Even if the energy cost of the Tesla was $0, the price difference between it and the Mustang I just bought would buy you 16,000 gallons of gas at $4/per. At the EPA rating of 19MPG break even is at 304,000 miles. That even ignores the time value of money which is hugely against the Tesla and it's upfront cost.

^^ this.