Any audi guys?

Lauren

Sold my Land Rover already. Guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow. I'm torn between an A4 avant or allroad. I have seen a B5 and B6 for the A4. All manual except the Allroad. I'm pretty much decide I want a manual car. What should I look out for with these three options? If need be any good repair guys that knows audi's?

It is known as the most unreliable audi of the modern era. In fact it is so stereotypically bad that jalopniks doug Demuro uses the allroad as the unit of measure for how unreliable and expensive a car can be.

Yes the air suspension fails, yes the 2.7 turbo eats turbo couplings and bleeds boost, yes it is filled with a lot of electronic wizardry that will break, yes the v8 models may need timing chain done...yes to all.

It is known as the most unreliable audi of the modern era. In fact it is so stereotypically bad that jalopniks doug Demuro uses the allroad as the unit of measure for how unreliable and expensive a car can be.

Yes the air suspension fails, yes the 2.7 turbo eats turbo couplings and bleeds boost, yes it is filled with a lot of electronic wizardry that will break, yes the v8 models may need timing chain done...yes to all.

yep and when you do get the engine removed and timing chains done then your left with the car randomly pissing oil from places you never touched....

Its no surprise I love the A4 Avant in manual I actually almost picked one up recently but I went back to my TDi sportwagon because its surprisingly the only car ive missed after selling.

yep and when you do get the engine removed and timing chains done then your left with the car randomly pissing oil from places you never touched....

Its no surprise I love the A4 Avant in manual I actually almost picked one up recently but I went back to my TDi sportwagon because its surprisingly the only car ive missed after selling.

What makes the TDi sportwagon so enthralling? I am curious, I am in the market for a wagon...kids...Yet I like wagons and I want something fun. I too have been shopping the avants and know all about them, I know a little on the TDI side, and I am all about not paying for the audi premium is necessary.

I dont believe they made the allroad in manual.

As an FYI, i have a 2002 (b6) A4 quattro with a 6 speed manual and 3.0 v6. Its been pretty reliable and just ticked 160k miles. I fully expect it to go at least another 40k. IMO, the 1.8Ts are underpowered stock and become unreliable once modded. The 3.0 v6 has plenty of power on demand and is a nice smooth ride, even for a 14 year old car.

Tthey included all the options in the b6 v6 cars. (ie heathed leather seats, bose sound system, sunroof, etc..) Only thing its missing is nav.

I never hear anything good about the B5 unless you have money to pour into the car.

I've only had one issue with mine, and that was from a lousy previous mechanic.

Go B6 if there is a choice. Better to have as new as possible.

All Road LOL

The allroad does come in 6 speed manual but they are next to impossible to find and if you do they command a premium in price. Seeing as I don't keep cars long and pay cash I'm not going to spend slot on something I will keep for 6ish months. That means a manual allroad is out unless I found one in the bottom price range that can resale for a profit

Going to go back and drive the b5&6 avant again.

Sounds like a vivid memory.

For real though, if you want an Audi, don't piss around with an A4. Get a reals mans car. Get a fucking S4.

Didn't you say in your thread if you were to do it again you would opt for an A4 :dumb:

I have no need or desire for an s4. My Rover got a whopping 10mpg. I'm looking for a more economical daily. To many miles between hauling dogs, kids and studio supplies.

Didn't you say in your thread if you were to do it again you would opt for an A4 :dumb:

I have no need or desire for an s4. My Rover got a whopping 10mpg. I'm looking for a more economical daily. To many miles between hauling dogs, kids and studio supplies.

I'm not a real man.

Although I will say, I've been relatively impress with the 24.3 mpg I'm averaging in this beast. Technically, it's not for sale, I just know you need a manly car to counter your profession and figured I'd extend an olive branch. :masturboy:

I dont believe they made the allroad in manual.

As an FYI, i have a 2002 (b6) A4 quattro with a 6 speed manual and 3.0 v6. Its been pretty reliable and just ticked 160k miles. I fully expect it to go at least another 40k. IMO, the 1.8Ts are underpowered stock and become unreliable once modded. The 3.0 v6 has plenty of power on demand and is a nice smooth ride, even for a 14 year old car.

Tthey included all the options in the b6 v6 cars. (ie heathed leather seats, bose sound system, sunroof, etc..) Only thing its missing is nav.

2.7T allroad came in manual, but rare, and all 4.2s were auto.

3.0 is worse mpg, and more expensive to work on when repairs are needed.

Grab a 3.2L avant.

That's B7 only, and has carbon issues.

2.7T allroad came in manual, but rare, and all 4.2s were auto.

3.0 is worse mpg, and more expensive to work on when repairs are needed.

That's B7 only, and has carbon issues.

I get 20 mpg average city/highway.

*shrugs*

My 230k mile 1.8t got 24 mixed.

I love reading Audi maintenance nightmare stories and wondering what I did differently with mine to have as few issues as I did???

Right oil, right fluids, changed regularly.

Some people just don't take care of their shit. Its as simple as that.

So I am curious, there is also the new golf wagon -

why TDI

pros and cons - including servicing

why not just the 1.8T ?

pros and cons - I have worked on a many 1.8t, and they are not to bad, I have relatively little experience with the Tdi which makes me more apprehensive, however I like the economy and such.

These seem like among the best bang for the buck wagons on the market, and I am a German fan...seems a decent car to haul my squirts and bikes around in.